News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for On_Avenue_Payt

On_Avenue_Payt Profile Photo
Member Name: On_Avenue_Payt
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Michael Bennett (Choreographer)
 Apr 27 2011, 02:52:15 PM
So for my dance class I'm writing a paper about Michael Bennett. The paper is going fine, it's easy enough... but I feel like it's missing something.

Because I'm so young, I never got the opportunity to see his work in person. I was wondering if there was anyone on here who did (or knows someone who did) and would be willing to talk about your opinions (good or bad) on it?!

Even if you haven't... if anyone has any kind of opinions, I'd love a fresh perspective.

Thanks

Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
 Apr 2 2011, 07:05:49 PM
I agree with the poster above me. Despite her take on the role being completely different, I think she would have won. I mean, I honestly can't see who else would have won out of that competition.

I think this is a pretty interesting question in general: What are some other Tony-winning role replacements that we think would have won if they were the original? Bernadette Peters in Night Music last year is another one, I think.

Sondheim's Best Musical??
 Apr 2 2011, 10:28:24 AM
This is like asking me to pick Coen Brother's movie.

I mean, I think I would go with Sweeney Todd... but it might be for sentimental reasons: the recorded Hearn/Lansbury production was my first taste to musical theatre six or seven years ago. It's kind of what made me love musicals. But, that doesn't mean it's not musical theatre story telling at its very finest. Song after song after song just so perfectly driving the characters and plot... never a dull moment in that book or score.

Lets play a game... 'What role would you want to see X in?'
 Mar 31 2011, 11:38:07 PM
"FYI: Lea Michelle is hardly anyone's "favorite" on these boards."

Yeah, I know. It was sarcasm. That's why it was in all caps. For emphasis. On the sarcasm. Hope we're on the same page now. Thought you might get that, with your sarcastic comment on the success of the thread. I guess not!

ANYWAY!

Laura Benanti - ah, so many. I'd love to see a revival of My Fair Lady with her as Eliza.
NEXT UP: John Gallagher Jr.

Oh, and Danielle Radcliffe as Claude? That

Lets play a game... "What role would you want to see X in?"
 Mar 28 2011, 02:57:18 PM
So, I thought this might be fun. I'll start off by naming a performer and the next person names a role that they think that performer would be great in. For example... someone says "Bernadette Peters" and I might say "Mrs. Lovitt in a revival of Sweeney Todd" (How Sondheim's muse has never played this role is beyond me....)

Might be fun, might be horrible. Worth a try.

I'll start with EVERYONE'S FAVORITE: Lea Michele.

re: Best Original Musicals of the Decade
 Jul 6 2009, 10:53:53 PM
Thats my bad.. I thought the list was supposted to be original as in new. My bad.
re: Best Original Musicals of the Decade
 Jul 5 2009, 12:02:38 AM
My Top 10 [in alphabetical order]

Avenue Q
Curtains
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Full Monty, The
Grey Gardens
Next to Normal
Producers, The
Spring Awakening
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Urinetown: The Musical

with Honorable Mentions to Jersey Boys & The Light in the Piazza.

re: anneliese van der pol in WICKED???
 Jul 3 2009, 01:46:50 PM
Isn't that part a little high for her, in terms of singing? Oh well, she certainly is talented, even if she supposedly is a diva and she's got a bright future ahead of her.
re: Is it just me or does Robert Downey Jr. have an incredible voice?
 Jul 2 2009, 12:53:44 PM
He really does. I've been saying if Next to Normal was ever made into a movie, he would really make the perfect Dan. He could act that part perectly, and he has the vocal pipes to do it justice. I'd just love to see him in a musical

He's just so... cool

re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
 Jul 1 2009, 10:38:20 PM
I was there that night! I think I saw you.. haha, weird.
re: THE NUTTY PROFESSOR Headed to Broadway; Music by Hamlisch, Book by Holm
 Jun 29 2009, 11:07:58 PM
Pgenre, I've been pulling for a Bullets over Broadway musical forever. Allen's absured comedy in that movie would work perfectly on the stage. Those characters could have so many great songs. I just want one of Woody's classic to be turned to a stage musical.
re: Meaghann is on as Natalie tonight (6/29)
 Jun 29 2009, 04:45:09 PM
I hope Jennifer gets well soon. It's unfortunate that this happened to her. Meaghann is a great replacement, though. I saw her Friday and she was so much better than I thought she would be. Good luck to her, and best wishes to Jennifer! Glad to know she's okay.

If you could play one role from any show on stage, what would it be?
 Jun 22 2009, 09:32:57 PM
And why?

For me, I'm totally torn between three.

-Mickey Johnstone from Blood Brothers: It's unfortunate, cause I'm actually involved with a production of Blood Brothers right now, but I'm playing the Narrator [which, is a great role]. The character goes through such a growth throughout the show, and he has so many emotions to through, and he goes through 3 or 4 huge character changes in the show. He would be a great challenge.

Robert from Co

re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
 Jun 22 2009, 01:30:21 AM
thank you! As soon as I saw this thread, that one came to me instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRrkZA0KyQ

He's got a pretty good voice, deffenitly good enough for a film.. and he could act the pants off of Dan. He's fantastic.

Jun 22 2009, 01:15:48 AM
"Regal?"

Oh god no. Please tell me you've seen her performances in Holy Smoke!, The Reader, and especially Revolutionary Road & Little Children. Winslet has shown time and time again that she's one of, if not the most versatile actress of her generation, and she absolutely strives at playing the struggling suburbian housewife, which she has done more than once.

Jun 22 2009, 12:46:35 AM
NEXT TO NORMAL:

Diana: Kate Winslet
Dan: Robert Downey Jr.
Natalie: Lea Michele
Gabe: Lucas Gabreel
Henry: James Franco
The Doctors: Philip Seymour Hoffman

more to come.

re: Any chance of N2N discount codes after 4th of July?
 Jun 19 2009, 11:01:12 AM
adamgreer, so if I'm in the first row of the left side mezz, with the seats closest to the wall (13 + 15), my seats aren't going to be great?
re: to your knowledge, What is the best year for Best Musical?
 Jun 19 2009, 01:56:41 AM
I'm well aware of the difference between fact and opinion. All I meant was, based on the knowledge you have about musicals, what do you think? I didn't need a snippy comment, If you didn't like my wording, or you wern't going to answer, why even take the time to reply?
to your knowledge, What is the best year for Best Musical?
 Jun 19 2009, 01:51:47 AM
Out of the (usually) four nominated musicals? You don't nessessarily have to have seen the musical, but maybe you've heard all the music.. or you know how all four shows were recieved. Or maybe you have seen all four nominated shows from a particular year that you think are all outstanding!

So, in that sense, what do you think?

For me personally, I think 1960 [Sound of Music, Gypsy, Once Upon A Mattress], 1982 [Nine, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Dreamgirls], & 2007 [Spring Awakening, Grey Gardens, & Curtains] are all good choices. But of course there are plenty more.. but thats why I'm asking you people.

Here's a link provided to all the years and the winners and nominees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Award_for_Best_Musical

re: Sutton Foster.
 Jun 18 2009, 01:21:09 AM
Totally agree with you. I'd love to see her do something heavy, just to change it up, cause I think shes deffenitly talented. A straight drama would be perfect for her, and it will break the type-cast she has on her right now. But she's obviously unbelivable at playing that comedic heroine. She's got some pair of pipes on her, though, don't she?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You