Sondheim's Best Musical??

(8) :D
#1Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 6:09pm

Yesterday I listened to the original broadway recording of 'Assassins'! I was blow away! Not only is it a great score but its easy to listen to and enjoy (unlike some of his other scores, in my opinion)! I then went on to read a plot synopsis and it just sound fascinating! I would love to see a production of this and having never seen any of Sondheim's work, from purely listening to the score and reading the synopsis this is my favorite!

Now I'm interested to see what others think is his greatest musical?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 6:11pm

Follies

Poster Emeritus

(8) :D
#2Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 6:15pm

Why Follies?

(Despite having most of the cast albums - I don't know a lot of his 'less known' work as I rarely have the capacity to listen to the whole soundtrack/read the synopsis lol)

AwesomeDanny
#3Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:32pm

I completely agree about Follies. Why? Well, you'll just have to see for yourself. Everything about that show is simply perfection. If you have the ability, try to see the Kennedy Center production this spring.

And any fan of Assassins might be happy when making a quick search on Google video...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:37pm

Sweeney Todd

Followed by A Little Night Music

Follies bores the brains out of me. Mostly because it's maudlin and ultimately narcissistic and trivial. But that's the subject matter. The songs individually are brilliant. It's the sum of the parts in that show that leave me wincing.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:38pm

I base my assessment on having actually seen the original at the Winter Garden.

Poster Emeritus

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:42pm

I never saw the original, and I base my assessment on many other productions. I love each individual number. I think they're brilliant. But they all add up to a giant steaming morose pile of nothing.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 4/1/11 at 07:42 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:46pm

To each his own

Poster Emeritus

#8Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 8:53pm

I never fully appreciated Follies till I read the *original* book which has this amazing dreamlike quality that I think is really moving (I assume anyway). It annoys me that the current licensed version, while not as big a change as the London one, really ruins a lot of this, I think a lot of people don't even know how much of the book IS different in the current version (which was done at Papermill, the Roundabout, etc). For Kennedy Center they say they're doing the original book (although Bolero D'Amour has been, grrr, cut), let's hope they actually mean it.

My personal faves aren't necesarily his best, but are the two I go back to the most. Company and Passion (a show that even many of his fans seem to dislike). I think they brilliant show the best of the two sides of the man.

With Company though I also much prefer the original book--it doesn't work for me to update some references but keep some still firmly in the 70s ("or my service'll explain" etc), I love the oh so 1970s production, I think it still is relevent and doesn't need to be moved up to the present day.

Passion I just find gorgeous and moving beyond nearly any other musical.

But really I'm such a stupid fan it would be much harder picking a least fave...

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#9Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 8:57pm

You read the original book? Where did you get your hands on it? I'd LOVE to read it!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#10Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 8:58pm

Absolutely "Sweeney Todd."

The score is perfection, and it will never cease to amaze me how the same material can be, based on direction, made to be alternatively horrifying (Doyle's revival) or darkly hilarious (original staging). I think Doyle's revival is one of the most perfect and complex Broadway musicals I've ever seen. The threads from those months it was playing showing how the show evolved on a nightly basis and breaking down the various movements and actions of the cast/'patients' within the concept were among my favorite times on this board. I've never been so entranced with a show, or able to so vividly recall the emotions I had while watching it years later. Just the beginning of Manoel Feliciano being handed his violin and the rest playing those opening notes.... shivers still.

If I had to pick a 2nd though, it'd be 'Assassins,' just being the history nerd that I am.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 4/1/11 at 08:58 PM

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#11Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 9:00pm

Sweeney Todd, followed closely by A Little Night Music. (Which I would have said even if best12bars hadn't beat me to it. =D) I think Sondheim's strongest shows are the ones he co-authored with Hugh Wheeler. I love most of his scores, but just in terms of the shows as a whole I think the best, most solid, dramatically strongest shows are the ones he did with Wheeler.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#12Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 9:17pm

Sweeney Todd is his masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. My second favorite is Into the Woods - I know not as popular as some of the others, but I think it's brilliant.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#13Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 9:18pm

Phantom of the Opera

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#14Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 9:37pm

April Fools!

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#15Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 9:46pm

Sweeney Todd, easily.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#16Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 9:52pm

The best Sondheim musical was one in which he wrote the lyrics only. This glorious score is one of the top five in Broadway history. No Sondheim music and lyrics show ever came within a thousand miles of it.

What a pity that West Side Story was the end of the Bernstein/Sondheim collaboration. Leonard will be remembered for this and his other Broadway shows when his Mass and other classical works have been pretty much forgotten.

Just my opinion.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#17Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 10:04pm

You cannot find a bigger non-fan, than me. With that in mind, my pick is FOLLIES. Nothing else even comes close.

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#18Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/1/11 at 11:14pm

I heard Mr. Sondheim say Assassins is the only one he wouldn't change a thing. I also love Night Music and Sweeney.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

Ryan4
#19Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:33am

I think both his best score and his best musical (including the book) is Company.

Sweeney Todd is runner-up.

Follies is a great score with a not so great book.

#20Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:46am

"
You read the original book? Where did you get your hands on it? I'd LOVE to read it!"

I've heard it goes for a pretty penny on Ebay. The university I work at has an amazing theatre collection int heir library, including musicals (which is odd as they don't have a musical theatre department)--they had a copy of the Random Hourse edition as well as the new pulication so I literally compared page by page (even the stage directions are far more reality based and less interesting in the current script).

If you can't find it for an afordable price, you could always try an interlibrary loan...
Updated On: 4/2/11 at 12:46 AM

#21Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:49am

See I can get behind Sweeney being called his masterpiece, and I LOVE LOVE it but it's not my fave. I stand by my decisions.

OlBlueEyes, if you've heard the demos for his later attempted collaboration with Bernstein (and Guare) Pray by Blecht/Road to Urga, you wouldn't have the desire for another Bernstein/Sondheim score at all. And to be fair, Mass is suddenly getting a LOT of stagings and reapraisals, as I hope the flawed but interesting opera A Quiet Place will too after the New York production. But I do agree with what you say (well except I can't count it as the best Sondheim score cuz for me the true appeal of Sondheim is his music first, lyrics second...)

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#22Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:54am

I'm interested in the "attempted" collaboration, Eric. I don't suppose that there is any way I could get access to those demos?

Of course I can understand why Sondheim would take the most pride in the shows to which he wrote both music and lyrics, but being the lyricist to West Side Story is more than just a little above being a short order cook.
Updated On: 4/2/11 at 12:54 AM

bwayfan7000
#23Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:59am

I have given this a lot of thought, but I can never come to a conclusive decision. It changes often. I think that nearly all of his work is great, but Sweeney, Company and Night Music always seem to be at the top. Then again, Sunday in the Park...is his Pulitzer winner. And I have the same problem with Follies that others have expressed: the score is amazing, but the whole thing lacks the complexity or sheer delight of some of this others. Currently, my favorite is Night Music.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#24Sondheim's Best Musical??
Posted: 4/2/11 at 1:09am

I think Doyle's revival is one of the most perfect and complex Broadway musicals I've ever seen.

I totally agree with you, Katurian2...I've seen quite a few Broadway shows and that one still ranks among the best theatrical experiences I've ever had, period. Everything about it was just...perfect. I saw it 4 times and I kept discovering new things, and it was never the same show twice.

I haven't seen all of Sondheim's shows, but of those that I know, I would definitely say Sweeney Todd is the best, followed closely by A Little Night Music and Sunday in the Park.

Videos