pixeltracker

Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?

Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#1Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 11:22am

I was just thinking if Marin Mazzie was the original Diana on broadway, do you think she would have won the Tony? I think she would have. Her Diana was on the same level of Ripley's, just completely different.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 6:50pm

Yes I think she would have easily won.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#2Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 7:03pm

Defiantly.
(1) Other than Ripley it was a weak category
(2) She was f****ing amazing

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

On_Avenue_Payt Profile Photo
On_Avenue_Payt
#3Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 7:05pm

I agree with the poster above me. Despite her take on the role being completely different, I think she would have won. I mean, I honestly can't see who else would have won out of that competition.

I think this is a pretty interesting question in general: What are some other Tony-winning role replacements that we think would have won if they were the original? Bernadette Peters in Night Music last year is another one, I think.

"I'm afraid this offer comes off the table... at midnight tonight." "...maybe the worst bluff I've ever seen." "Even the members of GOBIAS could agree on that one."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 7:46pm

I would have voted for her, not to mention Jason too. They both stood a good chance at winning. They were better than the originals.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#5Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 7:52pm

I guarantee she would have won. I thought she was even better than Alice, and that's saying a lot because Alice is phenomenal in her own right. I also have no doubt that Bernadette would have won for A Little Night Music. It's still a shame she won for Annie Get Your Gun instead of Gypsy.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 8:16pm

Yes.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#7Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 8:42pm

Absolutely for Marin.

I disagree with whoever said that Miss Peters would have won for ALNM, a lot of people were mixed about her perfomance in that show, I think if she had opened that show, Montego Glover would have a Tony Award by now.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#8Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 8:51pm

Ohhhhh yeah. She has all the emotional complexity of Alice Ripley (plus the special connection with Jason Danieley that clearly projects off of the stage) plus the vocal ability that Alice lacks.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#9Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 8:53pm

Mixed? Bernadette mostly got raves for ALNM. The negative comments on her performance were few and far between. She absolutely would have won the Tony, no question. I'm sorry, but if Montego Glover couldn't beat Catherine Zeta-Jones, there's no way she could beat Bernadette Peters.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#10Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 9:39pm

Ok, anyways, she was a replacement and didn't get the Tony. Why bother talking about it? Why are you bringing this up when this is about Mazzie?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 9:45pm

Because Peters was in a very similar situation (high profile replacement of a Tony award winner) in the same season. It seems like a natural progression, I guess.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayfan7000
#12Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 10:52pm

I believe that when someone wins a performance Tony, it's often half the actual performer and half the role. Some roles are just attention grabbing roles. This is evidenced by the fact that multiple people win Tonys for playing the same role. I think that anyone who would've tackled the role of Diana first and been great would've won the award. Sure, Ripley was amazing and deserving of it, but Mazzie would've been, too, if she'd originated it. Or any number of other actresses.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#13Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/2/11 at 11:01pm

I agree that she would've won, there was virtually no competition in that leading actress category that year.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#14Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:22am

Regardless of the role, Alice Ripley AND Marin Mazzie are both top notch actresses on broadway that are deserving of the award. I've seen both play the role of Diana and LOVE each for completely different reasons. Marin for her vocal control and just everything about her voice. Alice for her unbelievable acting. Both are very deserving of the award, in my opinion.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:27am

Yes.

Just as Julia Murney, Carolee Carmello, Jessica Phillips, and just about any other actress up for the role would have.

It's just that kind of a role, plus there was little competition that year.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#16Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/3/11 at 8:48am

Yes.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

Frank thebellhop Profile Photo
Frank thebellhop
#17Would Marin Mazzie have won the Tony?
Posted: 4/3/11 at 10:50am

Yes to Marin. It's ridiculous that she doesn't already have one. And concerning Bernadette she probably would have won but it still goes to Sherie Rene in my heart

Videos