Alice Ripley at the stage door

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#1Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:18pm

Hey guys!
So, my friends and I finally saw Next to Normal last Friday. We were all BLOWN AWAY. It was truly incredible. But, I must say what really blew me away was Ms. Alice Ripley. Not only was her performance out of this world, but her presence at the stage door was something I'd never seen before. She was so kind and gracious, without the slightest hint of attitude. Not only did she make sure and sign EVERY playbill and poster, but she even made sure to stop and talk with every person who had waited for her. She gave them her full attention. I'm so used to other Tony winners rushing out the stage door, quickly signing a few autographs, and refusing pictures. It was refreshing to see how dedicated Ms. Ripley is to her fans. Heck, my camera broke and I asked her if I could record instead, and she said of course.

Granted, her exact words were "I'd do anything, I'm such a slut!", but that's beside the point!

Anyways, here's my stage door footage from the other night if anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5d_WUmRjU

Drillin4Oil Profile Photo
Drillin4Oil
#2re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:21pm

She's absolutely great! A real human being and very appreciative of her fans. You're blessed and lucky to have experienced Broadway royalty in the making!

AndAllThatJazz22
#2re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:22pm

JP2,

You look like you've been friends with her for your whole life!!!!! You should be in a show together.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:27pm

A true legit class act. The caboose to Elaine Stritch's crazy train, but as nice as they come.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

On_Avenue_Payt Profile Photo
On_Avenue_Payt
#4re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:38pm

I was there that night! I think I saw you.. haha, weird.

"I'm afraid this offer comes off the table... at midnight tonight." "...maybe the worst bluff I've ever seen." "Even the members of GOBIAS could agree on that one."

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#5re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:50pm

I have to admit, while I've never been a big Alice Ripley fan, the responses I've read and the feedback from everyone I know says that she is one of the most honorable and classy actresses working on Broadway today. She could be harsh and haughty as the most recently crowned "Best Actress" but she continues to be a gracious person. That's what Broadway needs and that's what Alice gives us. Class all the way.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#6re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:56pm

Yeah, she's definitely amazing at the stage door. She literally hung around for 15 minutes talking to people.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 10:57pm

The caboose to Elaine Stritch's crazy train, but as nice as they come.

I've met Alice Ripley several times (in social situations--not the stage door environment) and she's far from crazy. Eccentric, maybe. She obviously marches to the beat of her own drummer. But crazy is such a loaded and ugly word, and in this case, it couldn't be further from the truth.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:03pm

I didn't intend for "crazy" to be a negative-toned, adjective. re: Alice Ripley at the stage door Stritch and Riply are "crazy" and I love them for it!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:10pm

Ah, okay. Point taken and understood. I guess the strain of people calling Ripley's sanity into question after the Tonys is still too fresh in my mind.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#10re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:16pm

Alice really is one of the most genuine people I've ever talked with at the stage door. She does give each person her full attention and seems to truly appreciate us.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#11re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:19pm

Wow...she's remarkable. How refreshing! So neat to see this video. Thanks.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#12re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/1/09 at 11:59pm

Loved that vid

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#13re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 12:29am

Great video, JP!

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#14re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 12:30am

Thanks. re: Alice Ripley at the stage door

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#15re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 11:37am

Hmmm, you've convinced me. I have a ticket to see the show tomorrow night for the 5th time, and I'm finally going to stagedoor it.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 11:38am

Wonderful video. Thanks for sharing. Alice is a dream and I can't stop listening to the N2N OCR. Thrilling from beginning to end.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#17re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 12:46pm

I love it so much! You and Alice are so cute!

Byron Abens
#18re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 4:52pm

Alice always has been a wonderfully gracious actress. Way back in the day a friend and I caught a Saturday matinee of James Joyce's The Dead. We were both huge fans of Side Show, and so specifically went to the stage door hoping to catch Alice and Emily. Emily came out, was quite lovely, signed our Playbills, took pictures, etc. We asked her if Alice would be coming out as well. She responded that she didn't know, ducked back inside and then left to get her meal.

A moment later the doorman came out and told my friend and I to wait for a moment before leaving. A couple minutes later Alice came out. She told us that she hadn't been planning on going out, but that Emily had sent word to her that we were hoping to catch her, so she couldn't let us down. I can't tell you how excited we were.

This just solidified my adoration of both Alice and Emily from that point on. Both of them went out of their way just to make two young fans happy. You can't ask for more from your Broadway idols.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#19re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 4:55pm

Wow, that story is amazing!

jamoca5 Profile Photo
jamoca5
#20re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/2/09 at 7:21pm

I've been wanting to see N2N for awhile, and hearing of how Alice Ripley is at the stagedoor is jusr amplifying that want. =)

JP, I've already mentioned to you (on YouTube) how I went NUTS when she just smiled at me in the street, I would just be a mess at the stage door. Makes me almost ashamed of myself. ALMOST.

~Ash was here

Past 12 Months On Stage:

24 Hour Plays: Otawri (Other Black Woman, 9/11), Hairspray (Shayna, 11/18-21) Twelve Angry Men (5th Juror, 12/9-11), Wilson Winter One-Acts: Mannequins (Bloomingdales Salesperson, 2/11-12), Twelfth Night (Maria, 3/24-26), 30 Plays in 60 Minutes (Various Roles, 6/4), Ragtime (Sarah, 8/11-13)

Current Avatar: Me looking quite sleepy. This shot gives you a nice view of my various posters: ITH, Hair, The Lion King, the list goes on...

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#21re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/3/09 at 12:00am

I remember the last time I saw the show was the last to come out and when she was done signing for everyone down the line they left only because no one was coming out. I was at the very end of the line and was not with anyone and I mentioned to her about how I have medical issues similar to her character and that lead into a fifteen min conversation. The stage door guy told her that her car had been waiting for her for a while and she told the guy that he would have to wait a few more min to finish up the conversation with me. We chatted for about five more min or so. I just loved the fact that she really put her fans first and that it is clear that their feedback is really something that they love hearing. I found this part to not just be true to Alice but to all the cast as well. This is a very fan friendly cast.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/3/09 at 1:48am

That was awesome JP! How does one friend Alice on facebook? I can't find her. Updated On: 7/3/09 at 01:48 AM

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#23re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/3/09 at 9:06am

Great story, Alice seems so great! That whole cast does actually.
I'm with you though, I hear about her facebook status but i can't seem to find her at all...

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#24re: Alice Ripley at the stage door
Posted: 7/3/09 at 9:59am

Speaking of Alice and facebook, when we were done talking she told me to add her on there because she wanted to continue the conversation we were having. Yet, I too have been unable to locate her on facebook.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Videos