Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#1Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:23am

So this evening I saw the Hairspray tour, I have to say that I was really blown away by the cast. Now I have seen the show on Broadway many times, and I usually don't see any shows on tour but my grandmother want to see it so I took her.

Brooklynn Pulver ( Tracy Turnblad) She really was amazing, she is definitely one of the best Tracy's I have ever seen. She looked like she was having so much fun. I really loved her!

Sharon Malane (Penny Pingleton) She is definitely an amazing singer. She did really well with the comedy part of the role as well. She is my second favorite Penny after Diana DeGarmo. I would love to see her on Broadway doing this role!

Constantine Rousouli (Link Larkin) HANDS DOWN THE BEST LINK I HAVE EVER SEEN! Honestly this guy is amazing!

Angela Birchette (Motormouth Maybelle) I really enjoyed her. I love and hate Motormouth at the same time because I cant stand the way all of her lines rhyme (which I know is not the actors fault) but I love all of her songs. Angela is an amazing singer!

Edna was played by someone not listed in my "Onstage Magazine" an announcement was made prior to the show, but I do not remember the actors name, which I greatly regret. He was honestly amazing, I loved his "Welcome the the 60's" Another person i would love to see in this role on Broadway. If anyone knows his name, please let me know!

the rest of the cast was really great as well but these are just the stand outs to me.

Now as for the actual production I think it was good, I liked the sets and the costumes. They are not as spectacular as the Broadway counterparts, but I understand that this have to be scaled down for the tour. I really didn't like the lighting, there were a few missed/late cues and it was a bit sloppy in my opinion. There were some sound issues like some people were really loud while others could barely be heard. That usually was not an issue except for in the big company numbers because Penny would usually drown out the rest of the cast (it was not that bad though because she was really good LOL)

Overall this was a really good production. I'm glad that I got the opportunity to see this cast. As far as I could tell by looking at the schedule the tour is only running for like another two weeks, but if you get the chance go see it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

-Jeremy

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

MungoGypsy8232
#2re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 2:12am

thanks, great review! i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels that way about maybelle.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 9:35am

The tour will be in DC next month, I hope to see it then.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Parks
#3re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 9:50am

The tour is non-equity now, isn't it?

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 9:51am

Yes. I think this non-equity tour has been around for about 2 years.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#5re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:36am

Thanks for your review! Glad you had fun!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#6re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:48am

Yeah, I'm also going to try and catch it in DC. Thanks for the review!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

mwalker54
#7re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/26/08 at 1:28am

Ummm....that guy playing Edna was Michael Walker. He is filling in for Jerry O'Boyle who is injured.

RentBoy86
#8re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/26/08 at 1:46am

Kealla Settle (or something to that effect) played Tracy when I saw her - apparently now she's doing sound for A Cattered Affair, but she was great in the role. I hesistate to use the word "amazing" because it's thrown around a ot - but she was great. Her voice was perfect. Wish she was on the recording instead of the other chick.

PJMPirate
#9re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/26/08 at 5:05am

Are you sure? I believe two actors are covering Edna. One is a friend of mine, named Greg London. I'm not sure which actor the OP would have seen, as I believe they split the role pretty equally... OP, do either of these names ring a bell?

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#10re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/26/08 at 6:35am

I saw the tour last Saturday (March 22) in Pittsburgh and Greg London was Edna (it was said in the announcement before the show).
Updated On: 3/26/08 at 06:35 AM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#11re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/26/08 at 7:33am

"Kealla Settle (or something to that effect) played Tracy when I saw her - apparently now she's doing sound for A Cattered Affair..."

What? I can't find her association with Catered Affair on the website...

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

mwalker54
#12re: Hairspray Tour Review (3-13-08)
Posted: 3/26/08 at 8:51pm

"Are you sure? I believe two actors are covering Edna. One is a friend of mine, named Greg London. I'm not sure which actor the OP would have seen, as I believe they split the role pretty equally... OP, do either of these names ring a bell?"

Yes, I am sure that michael walker played Edna on March 13. And yes they are splitting time doing the role of Edna but not equally. One does 6-7 shows a week and the other does 1-2 shows a week. And both are doing a great job.