pixeltracker

Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)

Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#1Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 4:56pm

"With a record-breaking 11 nominations, the musical “Hairspray” leads the competition for the Laurence Olivier Awards in London. “Hairspray” was followed by three other musicals: “Parade,” with seven nominations, and “The Drowsy Chaperone” and “Lord of the Rings,” each with five. All four shows will compete in the best new musical category. The contenders for best new play are “A Disappearing Number” by Simon McBurney; “The Reporter” by Nicholas Wright; “Vernon God Little” by DBC Pierre, adapted by Tanya Ronder; and “War Horse,” adapted by Nick Stafford from the novel by Michael Morpurgo. “War Horse” captured a total of six nominations. The 32nd annual Olivier Awards, created to recognize excellence on the London stage, will be announced on March 9 in London."

Link

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 2/6/08 at 04:56 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#2re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 5:13pm

Didn't Drowsy close there???

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#2re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 5:15pm

Yes, Drowsy closed back in August.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#3re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 5:16pm

Yes, it did. In about two months. But much like Parade here, it can still be nominated seeing as ran during the season.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#4re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 5:25pm

Anyone have a link to a full list of nominations?

Akiva

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#5re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 8:27pm

Congratulations to everyone involved in Hairspray UK!

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#6re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 8:30pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=24957
There you go

Im so chuffed for Hairspray and im glad its doing so well here in the UK

Its great to see Little Shop Of Horrors getting some nominations to, especially the brilliant Sheridan Smith

Well done to Parade to

And im so glad Rent Remixed was snubbed lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jo
#7re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 8:31pm

Check out the full list of nominees here --

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/news/display/cm/contentId/97803

CONGRATULATIONS to the HAIRSPRAY team --

especially to:

*Marc Shaiman
*Michael Ball
*Leanne Jones

CDuffy5062
#8re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/6/08 at 11:36pm

Congratulations to the entire Hairspray UK cast and creative team.

Wonderful news.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 12:04am

Interesting that Elaine Page didn't get a nomination when she played the same role that earned Beth Leavel her Tony Award.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jo
#10re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 12:19am

The Best Supporting Role award is a crowded category, as there is only one award in supporting roles for both actors and actresses.

Best Performance In A Supporting Role In A Musical

Tracie Bennett for HAIRSPRAY at the Shaftesbury
Elinor Collett for HAIRSPRAY at the Shaftesbury
Shaun Escoffery for PARADE at the Donmar Warehouse
Alistair McGowan for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS at the Duke of York’s and Ambassadors

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#11re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 1:15am

A little sad that Laura Michelle Kelly didn't get a nom for her Galadriel.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 1:27am

Which roles in HAIRSPRAY do Tracie Bennett and Elinor Collett play?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#13re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:01am

Tracie - Velma
Elinor - Penny

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#14re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:58am

with 11 Olivier Noms,

Can we PLEASE have a cast recording??

Mel Smith is already gone, don't wait till more leave.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

#15re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 1:16pm

I, personally, am rooting for War Horse, which was one of the highlights of my theater-going career. It was absolutely spectacular, and more moving than anything I've seen in a long time. I WISH it would transfer to the Vivian Beaumont. It'd be perfect... It'd be a smash.

For anyone who doesnt know, War Horse is a play about a boy and his relationship with his horse. The boy's father irrisponsibly sells the horse to the army to be a general's horse in WWI, and the play follows both the journey of the horse and of the boy as he fights to win him back. It's done with puppetry similar to The Lion King, but not quite as spectacular -- yet it achieves a kind of emotional resonance Lion King can't even compete with. (no disrespect to the brilliant work of Ms Taymor... that was only to put this into perspective.)

Rentaholic2
#16re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 2:11pm

Do they not have categories for score and book?

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#17re: Olivier Award Nominees Chosen (Hairspray 11 nominations)
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:49pm

Nope -- the bookwriter, lyricist, and composer get the Best Musical award along with the producers if the show wins Best Musical.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Videos