pixeltracker

Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??

Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??

#0Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:21pm

So as of now, who played in the workshop besides

Kerry Butler-Ariel
Gavin Creel - Prince Eric
Emily Skinner- Ursula
Sebastian? Tritan? Flounder?

and also, in my opinion, JESSICA GROVE would make a BETTER Ariel for many reason.

I think she looks more like Ariel
She's way younger than Kerry (Although Kerry Rocks my world)
and she's a dancer, therefore she could move around in the mermaid suit, and also use her body and legs when she first gets her legs, and communcate better when Ariel's a mute. I just think it's time for Jessica to step up to the plate. Kerry's got Little Shop. Although Jessica isn't my favorite I would choose her as Ariel over Kerry Butler. Rememeber, Ariel's 16 years old.

broadwayguy2
#1re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:26pm

I think Jess's purer voice, as opposed to Kerry's belt, might play better as Ariel. Also, I think Jess would be very attractive in the seashell bra. LOL. deven is already buying front row seats. All that flying would be murder on her abs though. For Mermaid, they would HAVE to use a sommersault style harness and they require very strong ab muscles -- especially when flying with the body in a horizontal position.

I would like to see Gavin as Sky in Mamma Mia. I was told he auditioned for it and he woudl look very nice in the shorts.

#2re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:32pm

right ab work for Ariel which is why Grove should do it, isn't she a true triple, thereby able to do hard stuff?? I thought kerry wasn't a dancer at all, and was scared to do hairspray, but then again she must be able to move if she was belle in that ballgown , lol.

As for Kerry belting, she COULD use her softer mix and not belt Ariel which would be a waste since she is a belter, since Jeccis really insn't I think it's suited best for Jessica to be Ariel.

broadwayguy2
#3re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:34pm

Jess is a definate triple.
Kerry isn't really a dancer.
Jess does have a strong 'belt' but it a lot more pure in tone and less harsh/poppy than Butler's.

#4re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:36pm

right, true dat!

so now that we both agree, what about everyone else??

and what about the original workshop cast, who was in it??

Bway_Mill_Fan Profile Photo
Bway_Mill_Fan
#5re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:39pm

my vote is for jessica too!

broadwayguy2
#6re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:41pm

i can see Creel as Eric, although Machota has a wonderful tenor and he looks closer to the film incarnation.
Triton :: Patrck Page, Gary Beach
Ursula :: Emily Skinner. Jenn Holliday would be an interesting choice I think. especially belting 'Unfortuane souls"
Flounder :: Not sure. Definately a tenor in the late teens/early 20s.
Sebastian :: Samuel e. Wright did the film. Mario cantone would be a RIOt although he doesn't have wright's voice.
Scutle the Seagull :: no idea. If Ernie Sabella was younger
thinner, he would be a riot,

iluvny
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:44pm

When are they expected to cast? What about David Elder? I think he would fit in somewhere....?

#8re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:44pm

you know, i think we're forgetting that prince eric doesn't sing... lets hope there is a solo and duet for him in the show!

broadwayguy2
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 3:46pm

I imagine they would have given him a song or two... especially since they went with someone like Creel for the reading.

Lat I heard, there was the possibilty of mermaid following Aida at the Palace.

Although, wouldn't it be great if Disney would buy out the what-ever-it's-name-is-church and restore the Mark Hellinger??

MagicRoy
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 5:17pm

They're actually doing a Mermaid show..... They should be doing Aladdin...imo the best Disney animated movie.

chasing_rainbows43
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 5:22pm

Um...when and where is this workshop ? Open to the public?
Emily Skinner belting Unfortunate Souls....That's one of those things that treads the fine line between marginally alarming and pure genius. The very, very, very, very, very thin line.

Hello Gorgeous
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 5:32pm

I vote for Creel as Prince Eric too!

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 7:29pm

This has probably been asked before but anyway- How would they do Little Mermaid? Its under water. lol

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 9:41pm

No wait, I posted this because I THOUGHT THERE ALREADY WAS A STAGE READING starring Kerry, Gavin and Emily.

I might be mistaken...

broadwayguy2
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 9:51pm

They already had the reading with Creel, butler, and Skinner. It was a closed reading and VERY secretive.

They have done versions of the story on stage and it has worked wonderfully. ZFX, who flew the last Peter Pan revival did a foreign production of The Little Mermaid stiry and I have heard wonderful things about the effects in that production. In Aida, Foy uses flying effects to create the illusion of being underwater, albeit on a much lesser scale than Mermaid would be.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 7/31/03 at 10:39pm

Flouder could be Adam Wylie- I think he would be amazing. Jessica Grove does deserve a starring role. I wish they;d live it to her!

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 8:50am

I STILL have no idea who this girl is that a few of you are so enamored of.

broadwayguy2
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 8:55am

Jessica Grove???
She played Dorothy in The Wizard Of Oz at Madison Square garden in 1997 opposite Roseanne as the Wicked Witch when she was 15 and she toured the show for two years oppsite Mickey Rooney as the Wizard and as the Witch, first eartha Kitt and later, Liliane Montevichi and Joanne Worley before joining the Broadway cast of Les Miserables in the ensemble and understudying Eponine and she is currently in the ensemble of Thoroughly Modern Millie wher she understudies the role of Miss Dorothy.

here is the link to her website. Right now, it is undergoing a renovation.
Jessica Grove

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 9:07am

Well that's intensive, it's still "stuff" I would NEVER see, so I still can't place her. Has she done any film or t.v.? Any Broadway leads? I'm just curious as to why there's such a fan frenzy over someone I've never heard of and has been in some very obscure projects. It's not a slam bg2, just an observation. I've said this many times on the "other" board and I'll say it here, it's fascinating to me how musical theater fans begin to worship these actors who will never wind up being "famous" anywhere outside of their stage doors or these message boards. Even people like Sutton Foster or Kristin Chenoweth, (2 names that are bandied about very frequently), are not at all well known outside of the parameters of musical theater. Perhaps someday they will, but it's not an absolute by any means. Again, this is just my observation.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 9:13am

I think Disney's a producer LEAST likely to worry about casting by name recognition, though, so it's not as imperative when talking about one of their shows to worry about name value of the potential performers.

And I think a lot of people like to have 'their' favorite performer who isn't someone the entire world already knows and loves, not to mention Broadway is the place where you have the best chance of meeting and getting to talk (briefly) with the performers, so people are more likely to get attached to them, simply because they met them and, in most cases, had a pleasant, memorable experience.

broadwayguy2
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 9:15am

Jess hasn't done any major television/film productions. Mostly minor appearances and television commercials.
She is a true triple threat -- wonderful soprano, wonderful actress, and she can dance like a dream. She just hasn't been given her 'break' yet. Mind you, Sutton Foster was playing the same types of roles that Jess is playing now until she was bumped up to a leading role at the last minute and now she has won a Tony and has established herself as someone is a true triple. I can tell you though, that if you see Jess go on in a lead/supporting role, you will remeber her. Even back at age 15, she was a true professional in every aspect of her performance.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 9:26am

Johnpoppa, that was a fantastic post. You're 100% right about the proximity the fans of bway have to their "stars". It does create a sense of familiarity (albeit, false) to the performer. Let's not forget that the movie "The Fan" was about a Broadway star being stalked. It's simply a matter of having complete access to that type of performer. Bg2, I will keep an eye out for JG.

broadwayguy2
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 9:29am

I would also like to state, just for the record, that I was completely enamored bY Jessica before I met her. Although, when I did eventually meet her, she did prove to be one of the nicest girls. Very sweet.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Casting of Little Mermaid: Butler, Grove??
Posted: 8/1/03 at 9:37am

Which is exactly the point, you actually got to MEET her. It's just the nature of the theater business. I'm mad for many movie stars but I'm not likely to meet and get to talk to any of them anytime soon.

Videos