pixeltracker

SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question

SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question

RentBoy86
#0SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 1:55am

Just listen to my Sunset Blvd. CD with Glenn Close. I posted a thread about which recording to buy and I went with the American Cast Recording, primarily because I like Alan Campbell's voice. My favorite song of the entire score is "Sunset Blvd" at the begining of ACT 2. I like a lot of the other songs as well, but that one sticks out. However, I hate Campbell's last note he hits at the end of that song. It just doesnt seem strong enough. Its by no means a hard note to hit. Anyways, does any one know if sheet music for this show has been published? I really want to sing "Sunset Blvd" for a voice class. If anyone has it or knows how to get it feel free to PM me.

Sant
#1re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 5:43am

There has been at least one book of the score published, which has the cover colored as the American show poster (gray, orig. London was orange-ish). Inside it has pictures of a London cast lead by Betty Buckely as Norma. As far as I know it includes the arrangements of the 'American' version ('With One Look' with lowered key change, as Glenn Close sings it) and all.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#2re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 11:03am

The Canadian recording is also very good (but only highlights)

the london one is ok, but the show back then was in shambles and had no cohesion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#3re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 11:16am

^^ The Canadian recording is good overall, but then you have to put up with the hideousness of Rex Smith. *shudder*

The best recording of the title song I've ever heard was by Michael Ball, although I'm not sure which CD it appears on. I have it on one of his greatest hits CD's.

sharon1
#4re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 11:38am

I have to agree with you there. His is probably the best I have heard. He does it in his "Musicals Concerts" and hits the last note everytime.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#5re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 12:40pm

i also have that michael ball CD, but i got it as a single, its great and heard him sing the role on the BBC concert, he was great (although he could do with work on his american accent at times)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#6re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 2:39pm

Gee, did you see Rex Smith perform it on stage? After having seen the show four times with different cast members, his portrayl of Joe was the best of all. In fact, it was the first time seeing the show that I was more interested in the Joe character versus Diahann Carroll's Norma. He was excellent in the role.

Mother's Younger Brother
#7re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 3:04pm

^^ I've seen Rex Smith in other shows, but not Sunset. Both vocally (as in on CD) and onstage, I think he's one of THE most talentless, annoying performers -- who somehow manages to keep getting relatively prominent work.

Just don't like him at all. Sorry.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#8re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 3:12pm

No need to apologize...lol. You hated him in "Scarlet Pimpernel" too?

Mother's Younger Brother
#9re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 3:56pm

I've only heard in him in "Scarlett Pimpernel," but yes. During his songs, I just can't help but wonder, "What were they thinking?" There's no sense of control or musicality to his voice. Just sounds like whiny scooping to me. He's one of the few people who actually manage to make Terrence Mann sound GOOD.

RentBoy86
#10re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 3:57pm

whats the end Note in the title song. i can sing it, didn't think it was all that high.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#11re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 3:59pm

For me, the London Cast Recording is the ONLY cast recording that is worth anything. Glenn was miserable in the role. Nobody can ever erase my memory of Patti's tour-de-force as Norma. The Toronto recording doesn't do anything for me, either. Dihann Carroll seems to sound so...uninterested on the recording.

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#12re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 4:41pm

Unfortunately, if you want a full recording of Sunset Blvd. with a Joe Gillis that hits the note semi-solidly, Alan Campbell is your best bet. My favorite recording that's available would be the American one, because if you cut your losses (Glenn Close screaming her lungs out on Norma's songs), it's really the strongest and most cohesive of the three. My favorite recording ever was the four track German cast with Daniela Ziegler as Norma--she was just fierce, particularly in The Perfect Year. Sadly, I lost that recording a long time ago, and it's not available anymore!

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#13re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 4:42pm

Yeah, the German cast recording was spectacular.

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#14re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 4:51pm

Flaemmchen: The Daniela Ziegler CD was three tracks, not four. By the way, they still have it on soundofmusic.de Signed and everything!

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

jackson992
#15re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 7:47pm

But Terrence Mann is good:)

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#16re: SUNSET BLVD. Cast Recording and Question
Posted: 5/19/05 at 9:28pm

Wow...I thought it was out of print for sure. Thanks Flight.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

Videos