The Grass Harp

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#0The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:04am

How great is this score?

I just got the cd and love it. Favorite songs of mine are "Yellow Drum" "Dropsy Cure Weather" and of course, "The Babylove Miracle Show" which is 12 minutes of pure genius with the great Karen Morrow. I can't get the song out of my head.

Updated On: 7/25/05 at 11:04 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#1re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:11am

I love the score to THE GRASS HARP, even the numbers that sound like 1971 Lite FM radio. Though the script and the show as a whole doesn't really work, it would be fun to see Encores do the show.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:13am

"There's a hootin' and holerin' at the Babylove Miracle Show!"

Yeah, I even like "Floozies".

Michael Bennett
#3re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:14am

"Floozies" is a terrible number. Just awful. But I like it too.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:16am

And why didn't Karen Morrow do more shows? And Barbara Cook is pure joy on that recording.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#5re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:20am

I saw the L.A. production with Susan Watson (BYE BYE BIRDIE), Candy Brown (PIPPIN) and Bill Mullikin (NEW FACES OF 1952). It was an almost empty matinee house and the performers appeared to have lost heart...

I seem to remember that Collin's two songs, "Floozies" and "This One Day", were in reverse order onstage.

Karen Morrow was brought in to replace Celeste Holm when that Babylove song cycle took its final form. And there was an earlier version which played somewhere like Provincetown in 1966 with Barbara Baxley and Elaine Stritch in the cast.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:22am

Yeah Celeste Holm wouldn't have been able to sing the final version of the Babylove song. It's so complicated. Morrow is a genius.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#7re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:25am

Karen Morrow talks about her Broadway career in the wonderful collection of interviews SING OUT, LOUISE!, saying that the pressure of a new show opening in New York isn't worth the stress. She still works a lot on the West Coast in shows like FOLLIES and HELLO, DOLLY! I think her last Broadway credit was EDWIN DROOD.

Michael Bennett
#8re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:27am

The role of Babylove was originally tailored for Mary Martin, though it seems unlikely that by 1966 she would have been able to handle that big song cycle either.

When you listen to "archival" recordings of the show in performance, "The Babylove Miracle Show" isn't quite the breathless piece it is on the recording. It's broken up with some dialogue and Karen has a chorus of children with her who sing some of it.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:28am

Thanks Wildcat. I wondered why she didn't do more shows. She's so great. I love her numbers on "I Had a Ball" too.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:30am

Yeah Martin couldn't handle it. Yeah I've heard the show plays much better on disc than live.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#11re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:37am

My favourite Morrow performances are on the 1960 off-Broadway cast album of THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE. And playing the same role (Luce) in the London cast recording a few years later, wait till you hear an Australian singer named Maggie Fitzgibbon!

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#12re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:54am

I actually saw the early version that was done in Providence RI with Elaine Stritch. "Yellow Drum" ran through my head for months after that - probably because it was done about a hundred times during the performance. I believe that when the show finally reached Broadway several years later, it was intermissionless - quite a change (and a lot of cutting) from the three-act production back in Providence.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 11:55am

"Yellow Drum" is hard to get out of the head. I love it.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#14re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:00pm

I know five songs were dropped before the New York opening, and three of them were recorded by Elaine Stritch, Max Showalter and George Rose on Ben Bagley's Painted Smiles label.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:02pm

Are those the 3 songs at the end of the Varese version of the Cd?

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#16re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:03pm

Damn it! After reading this thread I now have "Yellow Drum" stuck in my head as well! Guess, what I will be listening to later on tonight?

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#17re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:05pm

Brazil, I Trust the Wrong People and The One and Only Person in the World.

BTW, the orchestral tracks for GRASS HARP were recorded in Europe with the vocals added in the U.S. later.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:06pm

I always wondered...The Cast Recording was recorded long after the show closed right? How long after? Was it months or years?

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#19re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:14pm

Do not know. Me simple jungle girl.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 7/25/05 at 12:16pm

Yes you are dear. Yes you are.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 8/6/05 at 11:58am

So, I still can't get enough of this score. It's very beautiful and haunting. My new favorite song is "Chain of Love". So perfect. Barbara Cook is truly amazing.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#22re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 8/6/05 at 12:13pm

She sang it at Carnegie Hall but they didn't put it on the album.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#23re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 8/6/05 at 12:48pm

Jerks. I love that song.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#24re: The Grass Harp
Posted: 8/6/05 at 1:11pm

I played Dr. Ritz in 2000 in Oregon. The score is lovely, but yes there are clinkers. Claibe Richardson sent the director two new numbers from the then recent production at 42nd Street Moon; they didn't quite measure up to he rest of the best.

The script is awful.

The role of Catherine is actor-proof. Our Catherine sang well, but dropped entirely out of character whenever she wasnt talking orsinging and simply watched the rest of us act. At the end of the season she won an award. God.

I love the score, and the recording. "Brazil" was a hoot to perform.
Updated On: 8/6/05 at 01:11 PM

Videos