If Newsies went to Broadway...

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#0If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 2:42pm

Who'd you cast as the leads/minor leads?

I think David Ayers would make a great Jack Kelly

(The cast doesn't have to be kids either, look at Hairspray, plus the original Newsies movie cast was made up of 19 year-olds)

colleen_lee
#1re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 2:46pm

I don't really know....though I could definitely see David Ayers.

I do know that I would be one very happy camper.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

JulesReverie
#2re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 2:55pm

David Ayers looks so much like Jacky Kelly, seeing pics and listening to him, screams "I'm going to play Jack Kelly one day" to me

If Newsies went to broadway, I'd fly all the way to New York(from California) just to see it

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:03pm

David Ayers can't sing.

JulesReverie
#4re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:10pm

Well neither can Christian Bale lol

JulesReverie
#5re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:16pm

I wonder how Santa Fe would sound being sung by a perfessional belter?

And I have feeling that they would hold the well known performers for the co-stars like Medda and possibly Jack Kelly and David

RentBoy86
#6re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:19pm

why haven't they brought this to bway yet!!

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#7re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:22pm

It's currently being developed for performance in regional and community theatres. I don't think there are any plans for a Broadway mounting.

I would like it to be cast with people who are at least REMOTELY the right age, like early 20's at the oldest. They cast the movie very well with actors of the right age and I thought it was very effective. Find some new guys to star as Jack and David, and then convince Ann Margaret to play Inga again.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#8re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:27pm

I've always wanted to hear Santa Fe being sung, I mean really sung! That would be so cool. If Hugh Jackman was about 10-15 years younger, I would want him cast as Jack Kelly.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

JulesReverie
#9re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:29pm

Yeah they should cast it like Hairspray was cast(18 to mid 20s)or just have the younger cast for the leads of Jack, David(and Les)like in the movie

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#10re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:31pm

I don't know, everyone who was in the movie that had LINES were cast age-appropriate. Sure, there were ensemble dancers that were a bit older (that Asian guy always cracked me up, he was like 30), but most of the Newsies were the right age. What a great movie!

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#11re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:39pm

oh never mind, i thought you meant that Broderick and Michael J Fox were in their 20's now. But now I see you mean that they acted as teens when they WERE in their 20's.

phew.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#12re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:39pm

i'd see it.

i'm the king of new york :)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:40pm

The kids should be in their early 20s at the OLDEST... as in the film. Maybe even only the leads. They ran all the way down to about 8 years old, which would also be historically correct. This is a very "young" show, and I would go with unknowns as the Newsies, and throw in a few reputable stage actors in the adult parts (not "stars" like they did in the film with Duvall and Ann-Margaret). Disney likes to keep "big names" out of their theatre casts (have you noticed?), so it's less of a let-down (both with audiences and at the box office) when a big star leaves the show.

I think this could work on the stage very well, but with some major overhauls in the book, and of course new songs added (they didn't have nearly enough in the movie to fill a theatrical version). But it's worth the effort. I can see the big period street scene set now!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

JulesReverie
#14re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:50pm

The original scripts had like three cut numbers and I'm sure if it was brought to stage Menken would indeed write more and change it a bit like he did with Beauty and the Beast

JulesReverie
#15re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 3:58pm

If I remember correctly the deleted numbers were:

What would happen to this boy(Jack and Sarah duet that was replaced by the short Santa Fe reprise)

Point of No return

A no name number that took place in a Wherehouse

And Carrying the banner was also cut in half too

Deleted Scenes/Numbers

bluesuadeshoes8 Profile Photo
bluesuadeshoes8
#16re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 6:20pm

Newsies would work SO WELL on Broadway. I did a workshop at TUTS in Houston this summer and we did Newsies. It was so much fun.

Aaron Lohr should be in it somehow. Maybe not as a newsie but i love him and he was in the original movie.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#17re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 6:47pm

I'd be the first one in line for tickets! But I would love more songs added...and does anyone else think the character of Sarah just generally sucks?

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

JulesReverie
#18re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 7:01pm

I can't stand Sarah, it's like she was just thrown in as the love interest. If it ever comes to broadway they should just throw out sarah and add a newsgirl

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#19re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 7:14pm

I was working for a company that was going to be the world premiere stage production of Newsies about three years ago. Negotiations with Disney eventually fell throug, but I would have been the first stage David ever! And my best friend, an up and coming actor was going to be Jack. Too bad Disney is crazy (and at the time were just starting to got through a lot of problems within their company).

Akiva

#20re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 7:27pm

Isn't there a cut "Boy" song in Aladdin??

Link Larkin Wanabe
#21re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 7:56pm

"Proud of Your Boy" was ut from Alladin.

Akiva

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#22re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 8:04pm

I'll bet that Sarah is just the victim of the cutting room floor. I always thought her part seemed hacked to bits. They barely try to develop a romance and then sabotage it. Very weird. One of the reasons the "book" needs major work before it could come to Broadway.

There is also room for a nice song or two in there.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/25/05 at 08:04 PM

Link Larkin Wanabe
#23re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 8:11pm

I think they could flesh out Sarah a lot, give her more of a purpose, as WELL as adding a female Newsie into the mix as a love interest for someone else... Racetrack maybe...maybe David.

Akiva

JulesReverie
#24re: If Newsies went to Broadway...
Posted: 9/25/05 at 8:22pm

Actually in the early scripts of newsies, Sarah, I admit had a point, and was actually a street wise smart girl opposite from her idotic wimpy character in the movie,(also another tidbit: Keri Russel was orginally casted as sarah, and get this-lost the role becuase she couldn't sing yet the girl casted instead, Ele Keats, had someone else singing for her) And there was a originally suppose to be a newsgirl and she was going to be played by Micki Dolenz(also from roundhouse) but her role was cut for no reason

Sorry, I'm kind of a newsies expert incase you haven't noticed lol
Updated On: 9/25/05 at 08:22 PM

Videos