pixeltracker

rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)

rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)
Posted: 10/3/08 at 12:51am

I never pay full price for a ticket. Well ... hardly ever. But this year I found myself making an exception. BILLY ELLIOT was coming to America. Finally. And I waited for discounts and realized that I hadn't been so excited about a new musical in a while so I just went ahead and splurged for seats in November. And then last night I read the reviews of the first preview, got even more excited, went on Telecharge, and purchased a ticket for this evening's performance. Again at full price. And while I still feel the pangs of guilt for shelling out so much money, it was more than worth it.

The fact that I will be able to say that I saw the second performance of this show on a Broadway stage is absolutely astounding...this show will be talked about for years to come. And rightfully so. Oh, where to start...ok here goes:

The score is gorgeous. Really deep, dark, and moody when necessary and also really upbeat, fun, and thrilling when necessary, but never banal. The score is wildly inventive and original, unlike anything I've ever heard on a Broadway stage. This is, by far, Elton John's best work for the stage to date. Lee Hall's lyrics (which sometimes get lost due to the phenomenal but at times overpowering orchestra) are smart, emotional, and full of character.

The book is where the show has the most problems, but they are very minimal, especially for a second preview. I really did like the book. I thought it was touching, funny, and ultimately very moving but I did have problems with some of the plot and character development. To me, the moment where Mrs. Wilkinson asks Billy to audition seems like it should be more significant. Even just by adding a few lines this minimal issue I had could be fixed. Also, the part of Grandma is well developed in the first half of the first act and then just kind of forgotten until the second half of the second act. But besides those minor quibbles, the other lead characters, particularly Billy and Mrs. Wilkinson, are stunningly well-developed. The book has wit, pathos, intelligence, and a way about it that is incredibly real and relatable while still managing to be near achieving greatness in its storytelling.

The cast is absolutely wonderful. This ensemble is one of the hardest working on Broadway right now. And it shows and pays off...the ensemble numbers are undeniably strong.

Haydn Gwynne is great in her role (surely she'll get a Tony nomination...hopefully for Featured Actress where she'll have more of a chance). She doesn't have the strongest singing voice in the world but her acting chops are unbeatable. Gregory Jbara is exceptional as Dad, very real and touching but still embued with humor. The rest of the principals (particularly Santino Fontana, Carole Shelley, and David Bologna who is a riot as Michael) are turning in grade A performances.

I saw David Alvarez as Billy. Stephen Daldry introduced the performance and noted that it was his first time performing this material in front of an audience. And at first you could tell he was very nervous but he shook his nerves almost immediately and sunk deep into the role. He isn't the world's greatest singer (a few pitch problems here and there and he has trouble sustaining notes) but he does a strong job when he does have to do so. And his dancing is, obviously, stunning. He has "it". That undefinable, unnamable factor that just makes you pay attention. I was very impressed by his performance. I will be seeing all three Billys and will report back after each one, but so far, this is a great start.

The sets are really beautiful (during the Act One finale dance when the underground hut rises out of the ground on stage right and Billy jumps down it, a stagehand ran onstage and stopped Alvarez from rolling over onto where the platform should have been raised already. The hut wasn't rising out of the ground. The music stopped and the lights came up and Daldry came back onstage to thunderous applause, explaining what the issue was. It took about five minutes or so and Daldry announced that they would restart the dance from when Billy was in his room, but without the room being set. So Alvarez did the dance from the top without the sets and was, again, met with much applause when he was able to do so), as is every technical aspect of the show.

Then there is Stephen Daldry's brilliant direction. It's so organic and natural that it almost doesn't feel like the actors have been directed. I hope he'll return to the stage and that this won't be his only theatrical venture. The best thing about the show, undoubtedly, is the choreography. Peter Darling's evocative, innovative, and wildly imaginative choreography is unlike anything ever on a Broadway stage. Between Daldry's direction, the technical aspects, and the beautiful choreography of Darling, during the Swan Lake number, I absolutely lost it. I don't cry when I see shows but the sheer beauty of the dance literally took my breath away and left me bawling. This, I thought as it happened, is what theater is all about. Transcendent moments like this are rare and should be treasured. I will never forget watching that number.

I lost it again during the last scene all the way through the curtain call, for different reasons. In the last scene I couldn't stop crying because it's so strongly written and acted. It touched me in a way that I didn't expect which made it all the more effective and powerful. And the curtain call, again, was an example of what theater should be. Another rare transcendent moment that just gave me chills and left me hysterically crying.

The show is not without its flaws but they are minimal and I will probably be able to identify them better when I see it again. I will be seeing all three Billys, as I mentioned, and will report back after each of them. This show is going to be a huge hit. Get your tickets now while you can, it's the closest thing to a masterpiece that Broadway has seen in years.

**** OUT OF ****
A

EDIT: I returned to the show for the next performance and caught Kiril in the role. My thoughts on him are on the second page of the thread. And I should be seeing Trent in the coming weeks as well.

EDIT 2: My thoughts on the 11/08/08 performance are on page 3.

Updated On: 11/9/08 at 12:51 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 12:56am

And PS: is the schedule for the Billys just switching off at every performance?

So Kiril: WEDNESDAY, David: THURS, Trent: FRI, Kiril: SAT MAT.; David SAT EVENING; Trent: SUNDAY, Kiril: TUESDAY

??? They don't have it listed in the Playbill and I will be seeing all the Billys and am curious as to their schedules.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#2re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 12:57am

I cannot wait to see this!

I really only pay full price for WICKED, but I plan on paying full for this and 9 to 5!

The schedule changes weekly.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 10/3/08 at 12:57 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#3re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 1:04am

...well that sucks. How am I supposed to see them all?! Hah...oh well I'll get it done somehow.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#4re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 1:05am

*curses living in California and having no money*

I want to see this!!!!

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#5re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 1:22am

The Billy schedule has never been made public in any of the productions so far. That is, its never been officially printed. But obviously there'll be a regular rotation you can identify.

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#6re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 1:41am

I was there too, and I too was blown a way. A big fat blubbering mass. Tears started in many places, often for no reason beyond the beauty of the moment.

I did have few more complaints than ROCKS...

Carole Shelley messed up a good portion of her song(my favorite in the show)...but she nailed the emotional part... I'm sure she'll get better... but I was a tiny disappointed (unrelated... I saw Cabaret with her as well, she was wonderful but blew the big moment in What Would You Do... something in her throat? I don't know... but she didn't sing NOT ANYONE... odd... no?)

Gregory Jbara is playing a cartoon in the first act... an attempt at an ogre... it feels satirical... but he was perfect in the second act... nails the love and emotion of his character... once he's allowed to show some.

David Alvarez didn't really seem to be acting until the Angry Dance... in fact... I thought... Oh... what a lovely dancer... but sort of wrote him off... but... from then on... he become a powerhouse of emotion... wonderful... subtle... nuanced... wonderful... and the dancing... sheesh!

The sound... I was sitting very close so... maybe that's why... but... I couldn't make out most of the words in the louder songs... thank goodness I knew most of the lyrics... otherwise... I would have been clueless.

Any... quibbles... but... there they are.

Maybe the best thing I've ever seen? Maybe not but certainly the most emotional.

Jesus saves. I spend.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#7re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 6:55am

Oh, good...so it'll be unannounced and unprinted but basically the same rotation?

Thanks Khashoggi.

I'm more than willing to answer any questions if you guys have any about the show. I was going to go back tonight to catch Trent's first performance but I don't think I will.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#8re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 8:07am

Thank you for that amazing review re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' I can't wait to see it!!!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#9re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 8:59am

I could not possibly be more excited for tonight!! Thanks for the review.

sgv123
#10re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 10:31am

as far as the rotation, it will change weekly. the boys will either do 1, 2, or 3 shows a week, and the number of shows they will do changes weekly. There is a pretty good chance that the rotation will be posted in a weeks advance on the BE forum, as it is for London.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#11re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 10:33am

So can it be assumed thought that Trent will go on tonight and Kiril tomorrow afternoon?

Ed_Mottershead
#12re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 10:37am

I'm going tomorrow afternoon. Actually, there's sort of an advantage that, even if the assumed Billy doesn't perform, his replacement most likely will be one of the two alternates.

BroadwayEd

sgv123
#13re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 10:39am

yes, trent will be on tonight, and kiril tommorrow. here is an example of what a schedule looks like:

Monday Hogan, Lewis, Scarlet
Tuesday Layton, Jonty, Megan
Wednesday Fox, Shaun, Alicia
Thursday mat Hogan, Shaun, Alicia
Thursday eve Layton, Jonty, Megan
Friday Fox, Shaun, Alicia
Saturday mat Josh, Lewis, Alicia
Saturday eve Hogan, Shaun, Scarlet

Updated On: 10/3/08 at 10:39 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#14re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 10:42am

A fourth Billy?! Replacing which boy? And when?

And that schedule confuses me for some reason... Updated On: 10/3/08 at 10:42 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#15re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 12:20pm

I also want to note that in the Playbill or on the cast list, they should note that the three boys alternate the role of Billy on different days. People behind me almost left becuase they thought "Billy" was out and his understudy was on. That seemed to be what a lot of people were saying, that they thought Alvarez was an understudy. They should just make a note that they alternate the role at different performances.

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#16re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 2:17pm

A fourth Billy?! Replacing which boy? And when?

The London production has four Billys, three Michaels and three Debbies.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#17re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 2:24pm

The only way to ensure that you'll see two different Billys is to go to the show two days in a row or go to both shows on a Saturday. They never do two performances in a row.

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#18re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 2:31pm

just got free tickets for tonight's performance - so excited! re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'

WishingOnlyWounds2
#19re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 3:26pm

When I saw Mary Poppins I had a flier in my "showbill"...

The role of Jane and Michael Banks is shared by several performers
At this performance the role of

Jane Banks will be played by Kathryn Faughan(sp?)
Michael Banks will be played by Jacob Levine

I'm surprised they didn't do something like that.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

WiCkEDrOcKS
#20re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 3:47pm

Ok, important question.

Are we SURE Kiril will be playing Billy at tomorrow's matinee? I want to get tickets but I don't want to go if he won't be playing the role.
Updated On: 10/3/08 at 03:47 PM

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#21re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 3:54pm

It sounds as though BILLY has Best Musical in the bag - none of the other new musicals have the buzz this one does.

What are they going to do about Best Leading Actor? It would only be fair to pull a "Sideshow" and give a joint nod to all three boys, and it would make some kind of wonderful history if they won.

And even if FELA! transfers, I would think BILLY has Best Choreography won, too, since Bill T. Jones has already won, and won two years ago.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

WishingOnlyWounds2
#22re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 3:55pm

No one can be sure unless they know the Billys.

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#23re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 4:01pm

What are they going to do about Best Leading Actor?

The Billy boys got joint nominations for theatre awards in both London and Sydney - and they won.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#24re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/3/08 at 4:06pm

I'm going back tonight. And possibly tomorrow afternoon as well.