pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 116

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

wonkit
#2875The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 5:20pm

I have never understood if the "z" is pronounced as a "z" or an "s." Help!

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2876The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 6:32pm

Whose? Ah-nold's or Raul's?

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2877The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 8:17pm

I honestly don't know which one I hope it is.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

wonkit
#2878The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 9:35pm

Raul's - I just call Arnold "Ahn-holdt."

bestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
#2879The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 11:38pm

I believe Raul pronounces it "Es-par-sa", at least that is what I remember from a radio interview. I was surprised by that because I always thought it was Es-par-tsa (like an Italian pronuncation). I still think of him as Rrraúl (must roll the R!) Es-par-tsa.

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2880The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 11:48pm

I don't think Z is never pronounced S in Spanish. Z can be pronounced "th", but that's a regional accent trait. Apparently Charles V had a lisp, so they changed the pronunciation of the language to accommodate him.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

bestinshow2
#2881The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/8/10 at 11:58pm

Could it be he anglicizes the pronunciation??

It's just that I totally remember him saying Espar-sa and I was so surprised by that. I am trying to find that clip.

eta: oh, hang on, are you saying it should be sa, tsa or tha? Now I'm confused :)

Anyway, Rudetsky defintely says -sa.

Updated On: 7/8/10 at 11:58 PM

luvtheEmcee
#2882The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 12:33am

The "z" in Spanish isn't necessarily interchangeable with an "s" sound, it's just softer than the English z-like-zebra sound we're used to. I've always heard Raul hit the "z" like you would in English, but I've also only ever heard him use his own name while speaking English. If I'm talking to my friend who's a native Spanish speaker, though, she'll pronounce it more like you would expect it to be heard in a Spanish context. It's definitely not an "s," it's just softer. A lot of times it can sound like an s, but there's a subtle difference, especially if you're listening to a native speaker.

Updated On: 7/9/10 at 12:33 AM

wonkit
#2883The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 12:06pm

So it's kind of a z-s-tha but softer?? lol Seems like almost any way will be acceptable.

luvtheEmcee
#2884The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 1:09pm

I don't really know what you're asking. Are you asking how he pronounces it, how the world pronounces it, or what the "correct" pronunciation would be in a Spanish context? I'm sure you could find a recording of him saying his own name if you've never heard it.

orangeskittles
#2885The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:55pm

oh, hang on, are you saying it should be sa, tsa or tha? Now I'm confused :) Anyway, Rudetsky defintely says -sa.

In Spain, it would be pronounced Espartha. It was just a commentary on different pronunciations of Z Spanish, it has nothing to do with how Ral Esparza pronounces his own last name.

And I wouldn't go to Seth Rudetsky for verification on Spanish pronunciations, but that's just me. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

I deal with Spanish/English pronunciation issues all the time. Just a few minutes ago, I told a Spanish-speaking coworker I hurt my ankle. He asked, confused "Your tio?" Tio means uncle. We both laughed after I explained what I meant. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2886The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:06pm

He pronounces his name at 3:24 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYgisk-F94

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

bestinshow2
#2887The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:40pm

Sounds like a soft Z as in zebra to me, just like Emcee said earlier. Thanks for verifying that, Raul.

O'Skitz wrote:

And I wouldn't go to Seth Rudetsky for verification on Spanish pronunciations, but that's just me.

On that note, I shouldn't go by my own Italian-style pronunciation either :P (But I will. Try and stop me!)

Updated On: 7/9/10 at 03:40 PM

wonkit
#2888The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:48pm

Thanks, guys! I will take the man himself as the authority on this. My question was almost curiosity, I guess, as I can't imagine any circumstances in which I would actually need to say his name to anyone who would know whether I was pronouncing it correctly or no.

And any excuse to listen to YOUNGER THAN SPRINGTIME again.

luvtheEmcee
#2889The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:50pm

Ok, this is getting sort of silly -- so before we run into "the audio isn't very clear!" or whatever it's going to be, this is from the Tony nominees press thing in 2007. It's a little clearer. Raul's piece is at about 1:06. It hurts my heart a little to go back there and listen to this, but if you haven't heard it before, it's a a really nice, concise summary of the ideas driving the production, which is why I've held onto it. But he also introduces himself for the audio.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A2APB3DN

lol, Seth. He's always so emphatic when he says "Raul." RA. OOL! (Double lol at "O'Skitz.")

Also, Raul isn't actually in this, but it might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBD82B5p_Fk&feature=player_embedded

Updated On: 7/9/10 at 03:50 PM

luvtheEmcee
humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2891The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 6:09pm

From the Miami Herald's review of "Babalu":

The Miami-raised Esparza, as the opening-night crowd's thunderous reactions made clear, is the show's true star, and not because he sings "Cuban Pete", "Granada", "Cuban Cabbie", "Babalu" and other songs associated with Arnaz. This is a Broadway leading man at the top of his game, an intensely dramatic singer making his first return to a hometown stage since he became a regular Tony Award contender. Soon to return to Broadway as the lead in the new Alan Menken musical "Leap of Faith", Esparza infuses his "Babalu" numbers with sexiness, impishness, blazing theatricality. Watching him work is, as Broadway audiences have long known, thrilling.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/09/1723457/review-desi-arnaz-tribute-babalu.html#ixzz0tE1GBPf9

wonkit
#2892The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 7:16pm

Now THAT is a money review! ?Can you have a money review with a musical revue?

ETA: And, in the lower right corner of the Miami Herald review, a brief video interview! Updated On: 7/9/10 at 07:16 PM

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2893The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/9/10 at 8:18pm

Lovely! If anybody wants to save the video for any of a variety of reasons, I've uploaded it here:
Miami Herald Interview

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2894The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/14/10 at 12:27am

Raul and Lucie Arnaz being interviewed on Spanish TV to promote Babalu. The second part is some bizarre game or joke they play. and Raul seems distinctly uncomfortable with it.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywTQjlFtZM8
Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_fRFK_Z0E

luvtheEmcee
#2895The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/14/10 at 12:50am

Well, it's awkward and odd, but those kinds of things are pretty par for the course with a lot of Spanish talk shows. Lots of skits that are very silly and over the top, and probably uncomfortable if you're just being tossed into them. But he was clearly laughing about it by the end.

I watched the show when it aired on t.v., and really enjoyed it.

orangeskittles
#2896The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:52am

Heh, that made me think of the episode of I Love Lucy where she hires the dialect coach before Little Ricky is born because she's worried Ricky will teach the baby Spanish and she won't be able to understand them when they talk. I guess life imitated art. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

That's actually pretty tame as far as Spanish TV shows goes. There's no obese man with painted-on freckles and a diaper pretending to be a baby

luvtheEmcee
#2897The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/14/10 at 2:10am

Thanks, now I want to go watch my I Love Lucy DVD's. I only have the first season, though, so no Little Ricky. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

orangeskittles
#2898The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/14/10 at 2:11am

I don't like the shows as much post-baby. And it totally jumped the shark when they moved to the suburbs.

Updated On: 7/14/10 at 02:11 AM

luvtheEmcee
#2899The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:52am

Yeah, the early ones are the best.

Meh, they finally posted these, but there's only one other (unflattering) photo of Raul, and none of him performing, which is really what I cared about.

https://florida.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Flash_Opening_Night_at_BABALU_with_Esparza_Arnaz_20100713

Updated On: 7/14/10 at 10:52 AM

Videos