News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Currently Reading (Take 2)- Page 7

Currently Reading (Take 2)

danmag Profile Photo
danmag
#150re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 3:01pm

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See - so far, so good.

"This show had the WORST magnets on Broadway!"

Roscoe
#151re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 3:44pm

I'll be finishing HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE in the next day or so. Then I'll move on to something to fill the time until Pynchon's INHERENT VICE comes out next week.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#152re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 3:46pm

"Saving Fish From Drowning" Amy Tan

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Plum
#153re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 6:52pm

Jack of Fables, by Bill Willingham, a spinoff from his excellent Fables series. I'm not enjoying the Jack stories nearly as much as I do Fables, but maybe it'll get better as it goes along.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#154re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 7:15pm

I am SUCH a teenage girl....ya know....with an extra appendage. I just bought:

re: Currently Reading (Take 2)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

colleen_lee
#155re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 7:23pm

Setting Limits in the Classroom - Robert MacKenzie, Ed.D.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

dramadude2 Profile Photo
dramadude2
#156re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 8:45pm

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

So good.

No one wants to see a musical called Thoroughly Modern Mildred.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#157re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 9:40pm

Just started the first Sookie Stackhouse book .... not the world's greatest writing sylist, but readable enough.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#158re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/27/09 at 10:05pm

Just finished Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. Didn't like it as much as I like his short fiction/novellas.

Started The Time Traveler's Wife last night and I am loving it. I cannot put it down.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

colleen_lee
#159re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:00am

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#160re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/29/09 at 11:17am

sally - Time Traveler's Wife is, I think, my third favorite book of all time. I have read it 4 times now and am going to read it again before the movie comes out. LOVE IT!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

broadwaytourist
#161re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/29/09 at 10:49pm

The Unlikely Disciple - Kevin Roose - his memoir of spending a semester at Falwell's Liberty University - fascinating - went to a conservative Baptist college and this rings true

Godless - Dan Barker - miles away from my conservative college education

Starting HP and the Deathly Hallows

colleen_lee
#162re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 8:24am

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

HellsBells2 Profile Photo
HellsBells2
#163re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:14am

ANGRY HOUSEWIVES Eating Bon Bons - Lorna Landvik

Next on my list:

Are you there vodka? It's me, Chelsea

and

The Time Traveler's Wife

StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
#164re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 11:46am

It took me a few tries to get into the Time Traveler's Wife, but once I did, I loved it.

I just started The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman. It's a bit strange.

KFTC!!!!!

Estrella Profile Photo
Estrella
#165re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 12:45pm

Just finished "The Road to Woodstock" by Michael Lang. It's a fascinating look at rock music before it became such a huge corporate sponsored enterprise, though it marked the beginning of corporate rock era. The logistics of the event were incredible. Lang, the primary organizer of the event, follows the story from its inception to its aftermath.

Anyone interesting in seeing how the massive festival was organized on the fly should be interested in this.

" Deep down inside, we are all wolf/dogs at heart." Phyllis Rogers Stone

colleen_lee
#166re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:26pm

Erm, so I just read The Time Traveler's Wife in under 24 hours. I have one more weekend to kill and am now out of books so off to the bookstore I go. Any suggestions?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#167re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:36pm

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose and Shakespeare's Measure for Measure. On deck: Zeitoun and A Short History of Women.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#168re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/31/09 at 6:17pm

How did you like it, Colleen?

Have you read, The Book of Lost Things? I thought that was a great book

Plum
#169re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:07am

Just finished the "War and Pieces" trade of Fables. Wow. Just...wow. It's pretty much what the comic has been leading up to since it started, and I really have to wonder where it's going to go from here.

Also just finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy, so next in my pile is apparently...The Lost Continent, by Bill Bryson. Am also going to continue my very slow progress through Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in French. (A wand is une baguette magique!)

colleen_lee
#170re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/1/09 at 12:40pm

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire - Rafe Esquith

ETA: Sorry DJ, I was on my Blackberry when I posted this, so I missed your questions. I did enjoy The Time Traveler's Wife very much but was a bit unprepared for the way it picked at the scabs of old wounds.

Updated On: 8/2/09 at 12:40 PM

colleen_lee
#171re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/1/09 at 2:27pm

That was a fast read. Now onto "Olive Kitteridge" - Elizabeth Strout

Plum
#172re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/1/09 at 10:27pm

I'm not really enjoying The Lost Continent as much as I did Notes From a Small Island. I'm thinking about switching to The Confusion, since I'm determined to finish the Baroque Cycle (has anything ever been more appropriately named?) someday. Oh, Neal Stephenson. Don't ever change.

colleen_lee
#173re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/2/09 at 9:02am

The Evolution of God - Robert Wright

StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
#174re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/2/09 at 12:02pm

I just started Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding (who wrote Bridget Jones Diary). It's pretty cute so far.

KFTC!!!!!

Videos