pixeltracker

Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star

Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#1Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:29am

Beautiful documentary about Joan. Loved Charles Busch, and all the clips from her fabulous movies. (with the exception of "Trog"...) I was disgusted that they even asked Christina Crawford to be involved in this project. A lifetime of work by Joan forgotten and replaced by "Mommie Dearest"-one campy movie written by her obnoxious, ungrateful, nasty daughter. Joan is flipping in her grave.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:28am

I liked this bio-documentary on Joan quite a bit. I watched some of it last night, but I saw the whole thing when it originally aired.

I don't think you can do a bio on Joan without mentioning the turmoil with her daughter Christina, and then the book and movie "Mommie Dearest." And I agree with the guy who said, "I don't think Joan's reputation will ever recover from it."

I was more shocked that Christina agreed to participate in it! She also seems like she's made her peace with it, as much as she ever will be able to. She got her revenge, and it worked big-time. Now, she talks about it calmly, almost as if she's removed herself from the entire experience.

And while I don't think Christina told the "whole truth and nothing but the truth" in her book. let's face it, Joan was definitely no angel, and there was some serious trouble in that house. Christina is a "drama queen" just like her mother, but there is truth at the core of her tell-all. And that's the disturbing part. Joan was a great actress and movie star, but a lousy and damaging mother.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#2re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:58am

Last night was the first time I had seen this. I liked it quite a lot. I have no doubt that some of Christina's story is true. I also have no doubt that some of it is made up.
A few years ago Christina was on Larry King and inferred that Joan had killed Al Steele, not figuratively but literally. I do NOT believe that.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 10:36am

She was also responsible for the Ripper murders in the 1880s AND the current war in Iraq! Joan Crawford is the reason we have Global Warming today.

Go figure.

In all honesty, my grandmother was friends with Joan Crawford. Good friends in the '40s and '50s. And my grandmother always swore that the Mommie Dearest book was completely made up. She was outraged by it. Joan NEVER abused her children!

Of course my grandmother didn't know that my dad's nanny was horribly abusing him and his older brother when they were young kids.

If she didn't know what was going on in her OWN house, how could I take her strong opinion about the goings-on in Joan's household seriously?

I couldn't. And I don't.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

RetroBoy
#4re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 12:38pm

Some people have a tendency to elevate our movie star idols to unrealistic heights. When all is said and done they are just human beings . . . faults and all.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#5re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:12pm

I watched this last night and had a great time. It really captured her, warts and all...fine performances and weak ones, her glamorous look and her harsh one. I'm not a big Crawford fan, but I was totally drawn in.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#6re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:15pm

When, exactly, did Christina Crawford become a man in a Crystal Carrington wig?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#7re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:22pm

I was thinking late Peggy Lee. It killed me when she went on and on about how "sad" her mother's life had been. Yeah. Cry us a river, dear.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#8re: Joan Crawford: Ultimate Movie Star
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:24pm

TINA, BRING ME THE AXE!!!!!!!!

Videos