pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 107

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2650Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/18/14 at 11:41pm

How was Anna Kendrick and her songs? How was Rob Marshall's direction in it?

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#2651Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/18/14 at 11:48pm

The one bit that reviews from the original screening said didn't work well was "I Know Things Now". What did you all think of that?

So glad to hear about Streep's voice and "Last Midnight".

Showface
#2652Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/18/14 at 11:54pm

Just to finally clear the air, did you think Streep was glamorous/beautiful enough post-transformation?

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#2653Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 2:19am

I was also at the screening this evening. I thought most of the film was really excellent and several of the numbers got applause tonight. The only thing I *hated* was the concept of the wolf. I loved Blunt and Corden and was very pleasantly surprised with Streep's "Midnight" - it was actually pretty damn great. I thought she looked alright post-transformation, but I didn't love the wig/costume. I was really very pleased with the film overall, and I am now very much looking forward to seeing the finished product in December. I really think (and hope) that this could do very well!

...and I loved hearing "Night Waltz" for a few seconds the first time Cinderella goes to the festival.

Updated On: 8/19/14 at 02:19 AM

Showface
#2654Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 8:59am

Great to hear. I am so glad about these great reviews.

-------------------------------

So, I thought I'd share something with y'all, and I think it's quite ridiculous and funny.

So, the "bad review" was posted on IMDB, by this troll who keeps on complaining about Rapunzel and such, and it seems like everyone on that board had enough of it already. After he posted his review, another poster posted the reviews that were featured on BWW. This sort of took away that trolls credibility, and he retaliated from the good reviews, by calling BWW "a bunch of snobby theatre geeks".

I just thought it was funny! Into the Woods Movie Cast

Link Updated On: 8/19/14 at 08:59 AM

Showface
#2655Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:04am

Also, did the rap seem out of place. I'm sort of mixed on how common movie goers will respond to the Witch breaking out into rap during this story. It can either be really great, or it could become a subject of parody on SNL.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2656Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:40am

well it's not like she breaks into gangster rap. it's basically Sondheim patter.

Showface
#2657Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:50am

That is true, but I guess it depends on how they orchestrate it. If it's sounds like the 2012 production (which was much slower, and didn't sound like a rap), then it could work. It could even work with the original production music (though they may have to slow it down, so audiences could understand everything the Witch is saying).

But, if they use the 2002 music, which sounded very hip-hoppy, then it may seem out of place.

Musical Master
#2658Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 10:40am

I'm very happy with these good notices for Streep, and it's good to hear that her singing is much better than it was in MAMMA MIA!

It seems that Rob Marshall and his crew have done their homework.

Musical Master
#2659Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:39pm

I heard that there's going to be more screenings in September/October. Where they are I'm not so sure.

Showface
#2660Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:46pm

^Where did you hear that?

Musical Master
#2661Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:53pm

^On various forums online. Most of the time, the December releases have screenings during this month; I remember when NINE was having screenings during those months so INTO THE WOODS is natural.

Updated On: 8/19/14 at 07:53 PM

Showface
#2662Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:54pm

Are they saying anything else?

Musical Master
#2663Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:55pm

^They didn't say where, but when; and that was it.

Updated On: 8/19/14 at 07:55 PM

Wildcard
#2664Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:57pm

The "rap" is not a hip hop rap. It's the witch telling a story. Meryl is acting through it. Every word has an emotion and expression associated with it. You will notice the excellent acting more than that she is not singing.

Showface
#2665Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/19/14 at 8:01pm

I'm so happy to hear that Meryl is really digging into the character of the Witch. Though, we already knew she wouldn't do it any other way.

Musical Master
#2666Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:12am

I have finished reading the shooting draft by James Lapine and I loved it. I'm very happy that Lapine wrote this instead of any other writer, "Your Fault/Last Midnight" is one of my favorites and from reports have said, Meryl Streep did amazing in this song.

Can't wait for December to hurry on up.

Updated On: 8/20/14 at 12:12 AM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#2667Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:45am

Could you send me the link to the draft? Would be much appreciated.

Musical Master
#2668Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/20/14 at 12:58am

The page that has the draft is on page 39. A fellow member emailed it to me.

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#2669Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/20/14 at 5:05pm

I think I am glad the new Witch song was cut, because it didn't sound like it would fit with or satisfy the story. It was apparently about the Witch hoping Rapunzel coming back, but Rapunzel doesn't come back and the Witch leaves.

I didn't want "Rainbows" to be in the film because I thought it would put too much in the first half of the film and un-balance it, and because it was about the Baker and his Wife thinking they'll be so happy when they get their wish but in the next half they actually are still not happy and fulfilled, and it was also about how the Baker and his Wife aren't happy, and like love isn't enough. But after hearing how beautiful it is and how they do love each other in the song, I may have loved to have it in the film! But it's probably best it's not.

Rapunzel will most likely not die because the interview with Rob Marshall said she would have a "different" end. But oh how I wish she would die. I mean come one, the Witch says "this is the world I meant", how does being crazy from what the Witch did to her fit that? Then it's what the Witch did to her, not the world, that ruined Rapunzel.

Updated On: 8/20/14 at 05:05 PM

Musical Master
#2670Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/21/14 at 6:39pm

I agree, as much as I really like "Rainbows", it would've slowed down the film and it is info that we already got in the story.

I really like that in the shooting draft, "On The Steps of The Palace" takes place during a flashback. Did someone say that they heard "Night Waltz" during the screening? If so then Sondheim must've done that, because he's doing the music score to this film.

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#2671Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/21/14 at 8:44pm

What's "Night Waltz"? Is it from Into the Woods?

Musical Master
#2672Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/21/14 at 9:11pm

"Night Waltz" is the main musical theme of Stephen Sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC that starts the show. According to the person who saw the screening, there was a small piece of the waltz during the moment where Cinderella arrives to the festival, but for a brief bit.

I don't know if it will be in the final film when it comes out though.

Updated On: 8/21/14 at 09:11 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#2673Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/21/14 at 10:16pm

It had better be in the final film, as it's a lovely touch. Maybe he'll add in all sorts of cameos from his other scores or from cut songs like when he did the score of Stavitsky.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Musical Master
#2674Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 8/21/14 at 11:39pm

Oooh, that'll be great if Stephen did that.

Updated On: 8/22/14 at 11:39 PM

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos