pixeltracker

SUNSET BLVD at Signature- Page 2

SUNSET BLVD at Signature

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#25EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/5/11 at 1:40pm

I loved this production, and the orchestra sounded amazing. However, I can see people having problems if they are sitting on the two sides of the stage, there were definitely some things that were meant to be seen from the front. Florence Lacey sings Norma, in my opinion, miles better than Patti Lupone or Glenn Close did. DB Bonds was a little underwhelming for me, but that didn't take away from the production very much.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#26EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/5/11 at 1:55pm

I wonder why the chose to do this with the thrust configuration? Seems like it would have been much better if they had used the proscenium configuration like they did with Spider Woman.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#27EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:23pm

Do they still use a full chorus in this production? I always thought the show would have played better with just the four leads, done in a smaller space.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#28EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:56pm

The show would require massive re-writes in order to eliminate the chorus. Songs like "Let's have lunch", "The Lady's paying" and "Eternal Youth..." would have to be cut almost entirely. Also, the dramatic juxtaposition of Norma's epty house on New Years versus artie and betty's would also be lost.
cutting the cast to four people kinda would ruin the show

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#29EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/5/11 at 4:00pm

Maybe it should be only 4 people and they also should play the instruments and usher before the show starts.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#30EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/29/11 at 4:14pm

Does this production ever sell out?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#31EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 1/29/11 at 6:05pm

I drove down last Sunday, arrived at 1 and was able to get 30 dollar rush seats

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#32EXCELLENT SUNSET BLVD at Signature
Posted: 2/9/11 at 4:19pm

I finally caught the show before it closed.

It was a well crafted, wonderfully cast production.

I still have problem with ALW's score. For me, his best score is Jesus Christ Superstar. This one is not bad, far better than Phantom but definitely not his best. There is simply not enough music and he filled the story with the same melody over and over. It's a shame cause this is such a great story and I could imagine a lot great music can be put there yet I have to settle with repeated, over blown melody. This pissed me off cause I think that's just laziness from the composer.

The production itself is really well done. And the cast definitely stood out. I have never seen Sunset Blvd the musical before but was very familiar with the cast recording. I have seen D.B Bonds in Signature's "The Visit" as young Anton and he really impressed me with his fine voice even though it was a small role. Joe Gillis was the first major role I saw him in and I was not disappointed. I don't know if it was his choice or the director's decision.I found his Joe showed a lot kindness and genuine sympathy under his sarcastic tone. It made me care about him which is a surprise cause I never thought I would care about Joe Gillis. You can tell that he was truly feeling sad about Norma and truly gratitude for her generocity. He was with Norma partly because he was desperate, partly because he cared about her and because he was too weak to resist her demand. But there wasn't cold hearted, manipulative calculation from his end. He tried to stay away from Betty cause he knew he did not deserve her. No one despised him more than himself which made his ending much sadder.

Florence Lacey was an outstanding Norma. The singing and acting were spot on. She's a self-centered, crazy egomanic but wasn't a monster that I would imagine. Her Norma showed true humanity here and there which made me care about her and felt sad for her just like Joe did. Her "As if we never say goodbye" was the highlight of the show.

Ed Dixon's Max was a chilling figure that I could not forget. Norma was acting like a child who's living in her dream. She's not a monster and wasn't that creepy. Max was truly creepy. When a man could love and be obssesive with a woman to such a degree it became creepy. He was well aware that the kingdom they used to own were long gone but Norma was his dream and he created this bubble to wrap her to "protect" her. He's crazier than Norma.

Videos