#25Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:38pm

Moooo!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:41pm

That's not nice, Phyllis!

Oh, nevermind. I thought this was the Oprah thread.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:43pm

LOL

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayfan7000
#28Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:49pm

Why did they think they could change it? Probably because it's how "La Boheme" ends. But it's still illegal and inadvisable.

The Out Tonight megamix, though...THAT is a great idea.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

renthead42
#29Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:51pm

Honestly when they changed it... I dont think they cared.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#30Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:53pm

Then name the theatre so that they may be reported and chastised!

Jordan Catalano
#31Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:56pm

It's at Towson University.

renthead42
#32Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 7:58pm

Its been Named. Someone else pointed it out.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 8:07pm

Time to shut it down!

FindingNamo
#34Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 8:40pm

I definitely think they should be chastitized. How do we go about it?

Oh and 42, now that the school has been named your secret is out. Sorry 'bout your friend.

To changing a show's ending, playing hooky, taking something out of something...

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 4/25/11 at 08:40 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#36Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 9:22pm

Oh, lord. That Smith-Satan lady sounds like a real barrel of laughs. It's this description, however, that really makes my day-

Her vision involved manufacturing the most realistic set possible. Graffiti covers the set’s walls, crude messages like “boobs” and several penises can be seen, according to stage manager Caitlin Quinn.

Jordan Catalano
#37Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 9:25pm

Boobs. Hehe

FindingNamo
#38Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/25/11 at 10:08pm

So this week we've learned there's a trend of misreading "Contact" going on.

#39Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 9:40am

i love crude graffiti.

Yay for peen.

SporkGoddess
#40Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 10:36am

Isn't capitalizing off of the misery of the poor pretty much what Mark gets yelled at for in the show?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#41Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 11:15am

I'm sure they would get an even better audience reaction at the end if all the other characters died as well

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#42Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 11:45am

Nemo.. I know you were kidding and I am sure you will be making fun of me but I kind-a felt your AIDS joke was of bad taste. I mean if you are going to make an AIDS joke at least make it funny....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

FindingNamo
#43Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 12:01pm

Master, do you mean me? I went back looking for my AIDS joke, which I don't remember making. I don't think I found it. I am practically the queen of AIDS, I all but invented AIDS, so I would like to think that if I did make an AIDS joke it would be a damn funny one.

Now, what did I say? Did it get laughs from others, if not you?

Gothampc
#44Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 12:34pm

I think you saw a production gone wrong. When Mimi dies, Angel is supposed to enter singing "Come with me, where chains will never bind you." However, the night you saw it, Angel was in his dressing room smoking and reading Interview magazine and missed his cue.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

wheelsinmotion Profile Photo
wheelsinmotion
#45Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 4:55pm

“I told them to go measure their past year,” she said. “They found all sorts of cool ways to do it. There’s a Facebook app that will let you view all your statuses for the past year. And it’s amazing – can you imagine how many statuses you have in a year and what that would bring up for you in terms of how your life had traveled?”

OMG she basically is the reincarnation of Jonathan Larson! Do you think she'll sign my RENT cow plush?!

You're hurt and you're scared because you doubt your own artistic ability.

aworth32
#46Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:28pm

Updated On: 4/27/11 at 08:28 PM

aworth32
#47Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:35pm

Updated On: 4/27/11 at 08:35 PM

castmember13
#48Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:38pm

As a cast member of the Towson production of Rent and a fan of the show itself, I would like to take a moment to address some of the issues brought up on this "discussion board." The message of this show, as I have told many people when asked about "our rent", remains the same, regardless of the ending: This show is about love- plain and simple. This show is about love, hope, life lessons learned, perseverance, and reality. That message has not changed. ANY alterations that were made to the show were an artistic interpretation of the script- an interpretation that has more reality and depth in it than most would realize. The entier cast has supported our Director, whose name is actually Diane Smith-Sadak not Smith-Satan, in ever decision she has made about this show, and we continue to support her now; even as slanderous and degrading remarks and demands come down from others. Diane has brought our entire cast together as a family and has shown us there is more to a show than just ink in a book that people call a script. There is the story between the lines. There is the heart of the show that is beating within that script and within each and every member of the cast, crew, and everyone working on the show. It saddens me that people who have never seen our show, our interpretation, can hide behind anonymity and trash talk our production. Changing elements of the show does not change the heart and the meaning of the show, however, changing things can enhance this meaning.

At this point, our show will go on- no matter how it ends. There is still a story to be told and if people want to see the originally intended ending, that is what we will be giving them. Although our ending is the same as everyone else's now, this is still OUR Rent. No matter what is being said about our production, I am more proud than ever before to be a member of this wonderful cast and family, and am honored to take part in delivering this story to the audience each night.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#49Changing the ending of Rent
Posted: 4/26/11 at 8:44pm

When I do MY Evita, she's gonna live.

Videos