pixeltracker

When Liza Stepped Into Chicago- Page 2

When Liza Stepped Into Chicago

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#25When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 12:49pm

Gwen told us the "feather in throat" story first hand when she came to see and talk to our college production of "Chicago" back in the mid 80's. Liza was amazing in Chicago and the two cd audio version that is out there is a great listen for a car trip. There is about 15 minutes of footage out there of her doing the show. But that is all it is.-Footage. I will be seeing Liza's newish show next month at the Hilton in Vegas. Can't wait.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 9/8/11 at 12:49 PM

bk
#26When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 1:03pm

I saw Liza and thought she and Chita were fantastic - Orbach was fantastic - the staging was fantastic - the score was fantastic - but somehow I didn't love it back then and (I know, heresy) I don't love it now. Go know.

Gaveston2
#27When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 6:37pm

I can't speak for now, but I saw the original Broadway production, not with Minnelli, but with the brilliant original cast many times.

There was a lot of beating the audience over the head with the "message" in that production, thanks to Fosse's direction. To me, his work didn't always have the "sense of fun" that made the score and those original portrayals more palatable.

in 1976, it was just 3 hours of being told that everything and everybody is corrupt.

None of this is to say Fosse was wrong, of course, as time has taught us.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#28When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 7:28pm

^ Interesting observations, Gaveston2. Thanks for sharing them. I've always heard that it was too "dark," usually listed as a reason for a tepid but respectable first run, but not that the message was heavy-handed and over-served.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#29When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 8:40pm

Keep in mind that the revival of Chicago came along around the same time as the OJ Simpson trial. Celebrities getting away with murder was very topical.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#30When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 8:55pm

After watching the clips of Liza back then and hearing her talk and sing, why does she have a speech impediment now that she didn't then-loose dentures or something?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#31When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 9:01pm

Thank you so much for posting that video, she sounded so fantastic!

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

#32When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 10:19pm

Of course Fosse was at perhaps his darkest period when he finally finished staging Chicago--I'd love to see the original out of town "orgy" choreography for Razzle Dazzle that he was convinced to change.

husk_charmer
#33When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 10:23pm

Bettyboy-
Her mother did the same thing as she got older, too. I also know from older friends who have implants/false teeth that the issues with the letter "es" becoming an "esh" are kinda common. My suspiscion (and I could be 100% wrong) is that she's had some work done to her teeth and that's what causes it.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

#34When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 10:27pm

BrodyFosse said:

"As is/was the case with countless Original Broadway Cast Recordings pre-CD era, due to the time limitations of LPs (Long Playing records), they chose to just include the 1st part of "Me and My Baby" and the 1st part of "I Can't Do it Alone" on the Original 1975 Broadway Cast Recording of CHICAGO.

"Me and My Baby" was indeed a full-out dance number for Gwen Verdon in the actual show. She began the number singing that slow rendition of the song while sitting in a wheel chair covered in a blanket. She then tossed away the blanket, jumped out of the wheel chair and did the danced 2nd part of the song. "

That makes sense, what's always confused me though is in the revival they don't sing the full slow part that's on the OBCR--only a couple of lines and then it immediately goes into the dance numer, as it does on stage. Was this changed for the revival, since they had no wheelchair etc?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#35When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 10:30pm

She did also have encephalitis back in the early 2000s, maybe that played a role in somewhat impairing her speech...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#36When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/8/11 at 11:55pm

You mean, enshephalish.

AEA AGMA SM
#37When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/9/11 at 12:01am

And don't forget the booze and pills for both of them (it's not like Liza came through the 70s and 80s with her nose clean). There are some prescription drug that can have the side effect of causing the tongue to swell and bloat along with the rest of the body, and of course the potential for neurological damage also exists when you start absuing substances.

broadwaydanwi Profile Photo
broadwaydanwi
#38When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/9/11 at 8:17pm

I found these rare photos on eBay in the late 1990s. I think I got them for $4.00 each. Enjoy! I might have another one, but I'm not sure in which album I placed it. I'll try to look for it this weekend...

broadwaydanwi
#39When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/9/11 at 8:20pm

This is the second photo. Sorry for them being so large. I really didn't feel like opening them in Photoshop tonight. I know I have a third picture, but I have to look for it. Wish me luck!

broadwaydanwi
#40When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:22pm

Found it! Here is the last photo from Liza's time in CHICAGO. I think this must have been at the end of "Hot Honey Rag." Does anyone remember them sitting on the stage?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 5:14pm

Great pics!

beaemma
#42When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 7:13pm

Fantastic! Thanks for posting. I didn't see Liza, but saw the original production three or four times with Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera. Don't remember them sitting on the floor in the final sequence, so the third shot is a mystery to me.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 7:17pm

From the way Chita is laughing, it could even be a candid shot, taken during rehearsal, while they were stretching.

Q
#44When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 7:32pm

I loved (and miss) Mr. Orbach.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#45When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 7:33pm

My wife (then fiancee) and I got to see the show with comps (house seats) courtesy of Liza, based on a chance meeting with her, as we were walking down 46th Street, after seeing THE SOUND OF MUSIC at Radio City Music Hall. VERY exciting and memorable.

beaemma
#46When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 9:17pm

Yes, it does look like it could be a rehearsal shot. They seem to be relating to each other, not playing out to an audience.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#47When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 10:38pm

It's the end of the cartwheel in "Hot Honey Rag."

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#48When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/10/11 at 10:48pm

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#49When Liza Stepped Into Chicago
Posted: 9/11/11 at 5:10am

Thanks guys. I haven't enjoyed a thread this much in ages. Nothing like getting the story from the people who were actually there.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Videos