pixeltracker

First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean- Page 2

First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean

Fan2
#25First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/20/12 at 8:09pm

I think the "dark bar" is the tie of the coat.

I do wonder if he'll have a "brand across his chest" - in the libretto in the courtroom he rips open his shirt to show the number, and Thenardier does sing "that brand across his chest" when he's outing him to Javert, so I guess it remains to be seen what they will do about that.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#26First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/20/12 at 8:11pm

sueb1863, it is definitely still the same as it always was - number on the chest.

henryt
#27First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/20/12 at 8:32pm

Does anyone know how the novel handled the brand plot-hole?

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#28First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/20/12 at 8:44pm

Hm! That's wild, I've seen it six times and I'm pretty sure it's never been a number. I've got a Les Miz souvenir photo book somewhere in which Valjean's tearing open his shirt and it's very clearly a black bar. I think it's Craig Schulman...

In the novel, there is no numbered brand. During the falsely accused man's trial, several of Valjean's former prison mates, all of whom are still prisoners, are brought in to identify the falsely accused man as Valjean. When the real Valjean shows up, he proves his identity by revealing secrets about his former prison mates that only he would know. The prison mates confirm what he says, the falsely accused man is then freed, and Valjean's packed off to a prison shipyard, which he escapes some time later after saving the life of another man. That's when he goes and rescues Cosette from the Thenardiers.

They didn't have time for all this on stage, which I'm guessing is why they used the brand instead.

Updated On: 3/20/12 at 08:44 PM

Fan2
#29First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/20/12 at 9:25pm

I got the brand and Thenardier thing from the libretto. I've seen closeups of some of those photos, and that's definitely the tie to his coat.

Court scene:

>>[He steps in front of the court]
Who am I?
Who am I?
I am Jean Valjean!
[He unbuttons his shirt to reveal the number tattooed to his chest.]<<

Javert's intervention:

>>[Valjean and Cosette have disappeared.]
But where's the gentleman gone?
And why on earth did he run?

Thenardier
You will have a job to catch him
He's the one you should arrest
No more bourgeois when you scratch him
Than that brand upon his chest!<<

Libretto Updated On: 3/20/12 at 09:25 PM

Fan2
#30First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:25am

There's a nice closeup of Hugh and all the scars in the photo attached to this article. There's also a new photo of Colm Wilkinson - looks like his Bishop's garb is under that coat. A photo of the original Broadway cast is also in the article.
Jackman's Scars and Colm Wilkinson

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#31First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/21/12 at 6:55pm

Cool pictures! I think Colm's wearing a nightshirt, it looks too coarse for a Bishop's garments.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#32First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/21/12 at 7:09pm

Fan2, from those pictures it is clear that you were correct about the dark bar being the tie of the coat.

Fan2
#33First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/21/12 at 8:57pm

NEW photos of Hugh! And tomorrow according to a tweet from Frances Ruffelle, Lovely Ladies is being filmed tomorrow.

Holding His Ticket of Leave Updated On: 3/21/12 at 08:57 PM

mitchsc
#34First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/21/12 at 10:27pm

Bunch more photos here as well.

I think we are starting to get to the point that we are gonna be getting A TON of pictures daily.

Gallery of Set Photos.

jo
#35First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/21/12 at 10:45pm

Only if they continue filming outside First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean

I doubt the paps will be allowed inside Pinewood Studios.

BWNUT
#36First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 1:24am

OMG !! I swear I could hear him!
ANOTHER STORY MUST BEGGIIINNNN...!!!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#39First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 6:52am

Interesting, but he does not look like he is starving or in need of a loaf of bread..

Maybe not, but he *does* look like he's in dire need of a BATH! LMAO!!!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#40First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 6:56am

OMG !! I swear I could hear him!
ANOTHER STORY MUST BEGGIIINNNN...!!!

First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean

jo
#39First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 8:52am

You were right, BWNUT - here's a rough video of the filming at the churchyard --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvhTXVZROs

with the end of Valjean's Soliloquy:

>...begiiinnnnn !!!!!! <<<

and all the little and repetitive details when they film a scene First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean

Updated On: 3/22/12 at 08:52 AM

Fan2
#40First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 9:02am

When Hugh did his TheaterTalk show with Reidel, he was asked about JVJ. He said Hooper wanted him to be lean in the face since he had been in prison, but he wanted him to look massive like an ox in the arms and legs because he was on a chain gang and hauling ropes, etc. So he won't necessarily look thin anywhere but the face, and that does look a bit gaunt.

And you can definitely hear him on that video!!!

Updated On: 3/22/12 at 09:02 AM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#41First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 10:14am

Hearing him sing in that video just got me VERY excited.

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#42First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 12:15pm

That last note on 'begiiiiiiin' is a G#. This means Hugh is singing Valjean's Soliloquy a half step lower than in the show.

I wonder if it's been lowered to match Russell Crowe's suicide song.

Fan2
#43First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 12:44pm

Since there have been many shows, do they all sing it the same? Or are you referring to a particular show?

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#44First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 1:01pm

I refer to the show key that Colm Wilkinson, Gary Morris, and Alfie Boe sang it in. I don't know how many times the key has been changed for official productions, but Hugh is singing it a half step lower than it's been most famously sung.

I know the key has been changed for non-professional productions. The high sections of the song were dramatically lowered for the student edition, for example.

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#45First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 1:22pm

For some reason, that video cracks me up. Something about the sight of that cameraman backing up so quickly followed by Hugh emerging after him holding that note like he's about to swallow him... I love show business.

mitchsc
#46First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 3:53pm

Really really hope that they didn't lower "Bring Him Home." My ear isn't as good for vocals, but I wonder if they lowered all of his stuff a half-step.

Updated On: 3/22/12 at 03:53 PM

Fan2
#47First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 3:59pm

I don't know anything about music, but I thought he hit some pretty high notes when he sang Carousel's "Soliloquy."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#48First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 4:10pm

I don't care what key he sings it in. I just want it to be good.

I also really hope the leaks stop coming now. I don't want to scrutinize every note from 50 yards away over an iPhone mic. It feels too much like a science project under a microscope, then.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

mitchsc
#49First Photo of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Posted: 3/22/12 at 4:33pm

Over on IMDB, were starting to thinking that they are getting ready to shoot some stuff in Pinewood, so The only pictures that get out might be of the actors walking to their trailers.. but no video or anything.

I don't think they go on location again till later next week, and that is I think on military docks.

Videos