pixeltracker

Actor’s equity- “Im not a labrat” campaign- Page 2

Actor’s equity- “Im not a labrat” campaign

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#25Labrat
Posted: 11/15/18 at 1:39pm

fashionguru_23 said: "SomethingPeculiar, honest question: about what you said above, about My Fair Lady for Rex Harrison, etc. Would you then feel like both Ethel Merman and Carol Channing should have gottensomething for Hello Dolly, as the show was originally written as a vehicle for Merman, including the two cut songs that later appeared in the show; and was then fashioned around the comedy and personality of Channing?"

Well, I think there's a big difference between writing a show with someone in mind, vs. working with an actor in rehearsal/workshop/lab. I'm sure plenty of people have written roles for Kristin Chenoweth or Audra McDonald and then the actors said no. 

Or to further use the Mandy Patinkin example: If I recall, he hardly had anything to do when Sunday work sessions began at Playwrights Horizons. His acting and vocal range informed Sondheim/Lapine when fleshing out the character and writing things like "Lesson 8" and "Move On."

Updated On: 11/15/18 at 01:39 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#26Labrat
Posted: 1/7/19 at 5:14pm

According to Andrew Keenan-Bolger's Facebook, Actors Equity has declared a strike on all new Broadway show development. There was apparently a walk out. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28Labrat
Posted: 1/7/19 at 5:26pm

https://deadline.com/2019/01/actors-equity-strike-new-broadway-development-1202530663/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#29Labrat Question
Posted: 1/17/19 at 10:08am

Can someone help me understand how there are shows are currently having readings, but there is no "strike" against them?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#30Labrat Question
Posted: 1/17/19 at 10:11am

There are multiple possible explanations. Different contract. Non-League producer. etc Give an example of a show you are talking about. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#31Labrat Question
Posted: 1/17/19 at 10:16am

HogansHero said: "There are multiple possible explanations. Different contract. Non-League producer. etc Give an example of a show you are talking about."

Oh. Hogan, i didn't really have anything in mind. I saw there was a workshop with Shoshanna Bean the other day on Instagram, and a few other things on social media about someone doing a reading, and I wasn't sure why this didn't fall under the strike.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Videos