pixeltracker

Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!- Page 2

Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#25Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/9/20 at 1:17am

I really liked this performance...but I think for this revival, Imelda's performance is the better of the two. It's also on YouTube.

I was lucky enough to see Dorothy Collins do it pre-Broadway at the Colonial Theater in Boston. I love her performance because it was stamped in time before the song took on a life of its own.

I was twelve when I saw Dorothy Collins do it in Boston.

Updated On: 5/9/20 at 01:17 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#26Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/9/20 at 12:22pm

Jordan Catalano said: "How has she never been on broadway?"

and

Michael Bennett said: "Joanna Riding has given some of the greatest female musical theatre performances of the past couple of decades - and they've all been in the UK."

I can see that Jordan's question is posed as a compliment RE: how talented Ms Riding is. But, as magnificent as Broadway is, the West End is equally brilliant (IMO). I would respond by asking why not consider scheduling visits to London's West End (as well as Broadway) to see some of these excellent performers?

I feel lucky that I got to see The Witches of Eastwick in London, back in 2000. Personally, I enjoyed the show and its score, but even more fun, it's cast starred three of the West End's best (and prolific) musical theater actresses: Maria Friedman, Joanna Riding, and Rosemary Ashe.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/9/20 at 12:50pm

I see what you're saying. I see equally as many shows on the West End as I do on Broadway (Ok, I USED to see as many before the world stopped) and my statement was meant as more of a "how has she never come over here to let the Americans fully realize how amazing she is" statement.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/9/20 at 2:48pm

Translation of Jordan’s message, in the voice of Bernadette as Sally. “I. Don’t. Have. To. Fight. With. You. I I. Don’t. Have. To.”

Sorry In lockdown bored a f clearly.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

KJ4 Profile Photo
KJ4
#29Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/10/20 at 4:02am

This stiff performances can be view as not natural at all,too much stress in pronunciation and words and try to make the mouth look perfect wz sound that s coming out

OR it s very convincing if u think about some old lady and her reaction is not fast as a normal adults. An old lady near by my house is kind of like this. So this can be a kind of so heart broken to the point where she s blank and feel like a robot with no life, no feeling and a bit shock.

So it can be a very bad performances or quite rather a very good one. Depends on how your views lol, I a bit lean toward the positive side.

Btw, the best version of this song that I love come from a guy lol. And he interpret the lyrics as a happy song (at the 1st time he sing it,he didnt know the song) like a man falling in love wz woman so much that he s so happy about to losing his mind. And the shocking thing is the composer of the concert like this interpret so much that he ask to keep it like that.

bear88
#30Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/10/20 at 7:50pm

ljay889 said: "Man, I really did not enjoy that. Riding seems like a lovely actress, but that was completely overdone.

Here's Victoria Clark on the number:

"Hands down, the best note he ever gave me was that "Losing My Mind" is not a book song, it's a torch song. You, the actor, can't sing the song as Sally. You've got to forget that you're Sally and just deliver a torch song and let the audience draw the conclusions. He'd come up to me after every show and go, "Nope." I finally got it right to his candor during the very last performance. He gave me a big hug and said, "Yeah, that was it.""

https://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/patti-lupone-vanessa-williams-sondheim-feature_90797.html

The director's interpretation of the number in this London production completely contradicts the whole point of Sally's Folly. She's not supposed to be singing it as Sally. I'm shocked Sondheim allowed this, and also shocked that he seemed to love this revival.

I remember when so many complained on here that Bernadette merely "cried too much" during the number, but at least she was still singing it as a torch song, not as Sally.
"

Some dumb, and perhaps obvious, questions: Is Sally supposed to be angry during this song? Is she supposed to be singing, literally, as herself? The article suggests not. Riding certainly sounds angry, Staunton less so - but their anger seems directed outward, presumably at Ben. Bernadette Peters, by contrast, seemed sad and turning her frustrations on herself. Dorothy Collins' original version doesn't sound angry either on the OBC recording.

I'm new to Follies, having just seen it online after a local production was canceled due to COVID-19. And I'm quite taken by "Losing My Mind," which seems like one of Sondheim's most beautiful ballads that also conveys his trademark theme of regret.

Unless I misunderstood the musical, the performances in the second half of Follies are a series of fantasy sequences by the main characters that represent their plights but are not literally them. Actors and directors are going to put their own spins on the show. I found Peters' performance more moving. Riding seems like she was given too many things to do during the song, and I was confused about the wig (which might have made more sense if I had seen it). Obviously, there's a difference between standing there and singing, as opposed to rummaging around a table, drinking water and walking across the stage. It felt more realistic; people in fantasies and dreams don't need to stop and do other things.

But my gut reaction is that when you've got a great song, it's better not to mess around with it too much. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/11/20 at 9:30pm

bear88 said: "ljay889 said: " Unless I misunderstood the musical, the performances in the second half of Follies are a series of fantasy sequences by the main characters that represent their plights but are not literally them."

Yes, you understood it perfectly! Ben breaks the forth wall in "Live, Laugh, Love" having a breakdown, which is pivotal because it takes them out of the sequence and back to reality. 

I haven't seen the rest of this London production, but I still can't get over how misconceived this staging of "Losing My Mind" is. 

Prior to this production, the angriest and most Sally-like "Losing My Mind" came from Judith Ivey. She delivers the number with a mix of torch singer and heartbroken Sally.  It's much more subtle than the London staging. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_Kvz5sqac

Then there's Donna McKechnie's version who performed it fully as a torch singer, with a few hints of Sally. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXEKnWRm1Y

And of course, Bernadette sang it styled as a torch singer but with all of Sally's sadness. Bernadette played Sally's depression and sadness to the max throughout the entire show, and I found it appropriate that she sang the song looking like a glamorous torch singer, while unable to contain Sally's sadness. Bernadette is an underrated Sally, in my opinion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reFNhkDN0Fk

These clips are examples of how you properly stage this number, while honoring the original vision of the song. 

Updated On: 5/11/20 at 09:30 PM

jekslein
#32Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!
Posted: 5/13/20 at 9:37am

qolbinau said: "The whole production was highly underwhelming. Some interesting staging pre-Loveland but it was so literal and the singing performances myloweslife were awful*. I can't think of a single performance that improved upon the most recent Broadway revival in any of the leads or supporting characters. How I wish the 2011 revival was filmed Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!.

Pretty cool and awesome.

* I did not attend again with Joanna Riding, perhaps regrettably.
"

Updated On: 5/13/20 at 09:37 AM

Videos