pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22

JasonC3
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 5:27pm

When I've checked seats for Loop using discount codes very few have been in orchestra, but most of the mezzanine has been available for reduced prices.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 5:55pm

MadsonMelo said: "Skin of Our Teeth are closing after the Tonys, right? sad but they are basically playing to empty houses"

They're on a limited run through the end of this month, so they weren't even planning to open past the Tonys (though they probably would've extended if it had made sense to do so)

"Say what you want about the quality of the revival, but “American Buffalo” is doing decent numbers for weeks."

It's doing ok, but those paychecks can't be cheap. 

I'm actually surprised it isn't doing better than it is. Fishburn, Rockwell, and Criss may not be A-listers to the degree of Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig, but they're still BIG stars by most metrics. And combined?! In the CITS??? I really would've expected it to be a hot ticket event.

I wonder why it isn't. I doubt the recent Mamet backlash blew up enough to seriously hinder sales. I might've said that these actors' fanbases aren't typical theatre-goers, but the same could be said of Daniel Craig, and he's in a much more inaccessible show. Is it just that Plaza Suite and Macbeth are monopolizing the "celebrity play" audience? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 7:07pm

happy for TINA. It's fun show with an amazing finale. Despite its mixed reviews, it has pretty solid word-of-mouth.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

gibsons2
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 7:28pm

"How long does Doubtfire have? A lead actor nomination isn’t really enough to keep a show afloat, right? "

I hope more than just a few weeks... it was sold out on mother's day for the exception of few single seats. It's a family friendly, "safe" show so hopefully June-July families visiting NYC will keep it afloat 

KathyNYC2
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 9:50pm

dramamama611 said: "Pretty shocking that NO ONE has played to sold out houses (for the entire week) for two weeks straight."

The first weeks of May have been traditionally slow at most of the shows I’ve worked at. Most colleges are winding up their semesters and everyone is taking exams, finishing papers. Even our repeaters who come often to see the same show over and over have not been seen but I’m sure will be back soon.

I’m guessing the next few weeks should find an increase in numbers…but a lower gross for shows involved with the Tonys. Lots of comp tickets to Tony voters will be distributed.  

Updated On: 5/11/22 at 09:50 PM

MadsonMelo
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/11/22 at 2:30am

JBroadway said: "MadsonMelo said: "Skin of Our Teeth are closing after the Tonys, right? sad but they are basically playing to empty houses"

They're on a limited run through the end of this month, so they weren't even planning to open past the Tonys (though they probably would've extended if it had made sense to do so)

"Say what you want about the quality of the revival, but “American Buffalo” is doing decent numbers for weeks."

It's doing ok, but those paychecks can't be cheap.

I'm actually surprised it isn't doing better than it is. Fishburn, Rockwell, and Criss may not be A-listers to the degree of Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig, but they're still BIG stars by most metrics. And combined?! In the CITS??? I really would've expected it to be a hot ticket event.

I wonder why itisn't. I doubt the recent Mamet backlash blew up enough to seriously hinder sales. I might've said that these actors' fanbases aren't typical theatre-goers, but the same could be said of Daniel Craig, and he's in a much more inaccessible show. Is it just that Plaza Suite and Macbeth are monopolizing the "celebrity play" audience?

"

It could be doing better but 500k+ for a three person play would be good even if they are making 70-80k a week, which I believe they arent.

They are all famous people, but they are not STARS. Criss’ fanbase is largely musical-oriented, Rockwell is an Oscar winner but sure no A-list (Certainly aint Daniel Craig) cant quite say the appeal of Fishburne.

I think the results are solid.

Actually the numbers for Plaza Suite are something that I didnt knew SJP could do, shes beating James Bond who just had a 800M at BO lol

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/11/22 at 9:32am

MadsonMelo said: "They are all famous people, but they are not STARS. Criss’ fanbase is largely musical-oriented, Rockwell is an Oscar winner but sure no A-list (Certainly aint Daniel Craig) cant quite say the appeal of Fishburne.” 

This is a great point. And in fact I feel silly for not thinking of it myself, because I made a very similar argument in a different thread, just a couple weeks ago. I guess I was blinded by my personal love of these 3 actors, but on further reflection, I think you’re probably right. It’s also telling that Fishburne was out of the show with COVID a couple weeks ago, and it made only a small dent in their sales (it didn’t seem to be a big refund fest). 

Updated On: 5/11/22 at 09:32 AM

Videos