pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 12:59pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 5/8/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: THE LITTLE PRINCE (27%), TINA - THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL (14.1%), CHICAGO (10.6%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (9.9%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (9.2%), SIX (7.2%), PARADISE SQUARE (6.9%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (6.6%), BEETLEJUICE (5.5%), MJ THE MUSICAL (5.5%), MRS. DOUBTFIRE (5.1%), WICKED (4.5%), ALADDIN (4.4%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (4.1%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (4.1%), THE LION KING (3.7%), HAMILTON (3.4%), HADESTOWN (2.8%), THE MUSIC MAN (1.6%), AMERICAN BUFFALO (0.9%), PLAZA SUITE (0.8%), FUNNY GIRL (0.5%), COMPANY (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance was: POTUS: OR, BEHIND EVERY GREAT DUMBASS ARE SEVEN WOMEN TRYING TO KEEP HIM AL (-27.4%), MR. SATURDAY NIGHT (-15.9%), HANGMEN (-15.1%), HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE (-13.7%), FOR COLORED GIRLS WHO HAVE CONSIDERED SUICIDE / WHEN THE RAINBOW IS ENUF (-11.8%), A STRANGE LOOP (-8.8%), THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH (-8.3%), THE MINUTES (-6.7%), TAKE ME OUT (-5.6%), BIRTHDAY CANDLES (-5.2%), GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY (-3.9%), MACBETH (-3.3%), COME FROM AWAY (-2.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

JSquared2
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:09pm

Wow -- TINA up by $193,000 to do over $1M!  What will the haters have to say this week?

ElephantLoveMedley
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:13pm

Funny Girl is shaping out to be a commercial hit.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:15pm

That’s more like it!

Keep in mind that the poor numbers for Mr. Saturday Night this last week correlate with two performances being cancelled due to Billy Crystal’s flu bout.

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:18pm

FOR COLORED GIRLS numbers went down by $90K despite all those Twitter efforts and "gifted" tickets. It's not a good look for any show whose numbers who go down at this time of year (save for those who had to cancel performances, like Take Me Out and Mr. Saturday Night).

Nice little boost for A STRANGE LOOP and a few other strugglers. Maybe next week ASL will break even for the first time because of Tony attention?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:28pm

Yes will be really interesting to see how the Tony nominations affect the grosses this week. Was Patti or Katrina out of Company this week? It looks like they need some attention! It feels like there is a certain style of show that attracts a dedicated and full paying audience audience for a few months but then dries up over time (eg War Paint, Follies). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BwayFan252
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:30pm

Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen continue to look dicey to me. Obviously both will try to push through the summer, but will these shows make it to 2023?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:36pm

Some very interesting stuff this week. Definitely a bunch of shows stoping preview papering causing decreases in attendance despite stagnant or increasing grosses.

Good to see A Strange Loop with a decent increase. I have to imagine that that show is pretty cheap to run and hopefully it has some solid money from all those celebrity producers. I think it will keep chugging along until the Tonys and then get a big boost from their Best Musical win. 

Company's drop is also concerning, but hopefully, they can also keep open until the Tonys and will get a boost from a Best Revival win. 

Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen both still seem to be barrelling for closings sometime this summer, sadly. Although Tina seemed to be in a similar place a few months ago and has made a complete recovery, so what do I know. 

Paradise Square is just... wow... remind me to get whoever is funding that show to fund all of my shows when I'm producing shows!

The biggest disappointment for me has to be POTUS. I thought it might be one of the few plays with mass appeal, but it just doesn't seem to be catching on. 

BroadwayBen
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:38pm

THE MINUTES outgrossed PARADISE SQUARE?   How many millions has Paradise Square lost?   

KFC1991
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:38pm

binau said: "Yes will be really interesting to see how the Tony nominations affect the grosses this week. Was Patti or Katrina out of Company this week? It looks like they need some attention! It feels like there is a certain style of show that attracts a dedicated and full paying audience audience for a few months but then dries up over time (eg War Paint, Follies)."

I predict Funny Girl will fall into this category as well. Many revivals of Golden Age shows have million dollar weeks in the beginning and lose steam. I hope I'm wrong. 

Jarethan
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:41pm

I was going to say the same thing.

Tina is fascinating. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:42pm

Despite the drop in attendance all of the Papering POTUS did during previews looks like it might benefit sales in terms of positive word of mouth as weekly sales did increase. I don't know if the attendance numbers for POTUS will ever look that great considering its playing the Shubert, as a play, but if it continues a slow and steady sales increase from the positive it could make for a nice sleeper hit.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:42pm

BroadwayBen said: "THE MINUTES outgrossed PARADISE SQUARE? How many millions has Paradise Square lost? "

Those Paradise Square numbers are abysmal. Curious to see if those Tony nominations turn into dollars.

Oh, poor Company. Hoping they can drum up a new batch of ticket buyers with the Tony Award excitement and most likely Best Revival win. I really wish they’d showcase “Not Getting Married” on the telecast but most likely we will see the title number again. 

How long does Doubtfire have? A lead actor nomination isn’t really enough to keep a show afloat, right? 

barcelona20
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:50pm

BwayFan252 said: "Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen continue to look dicey to me. Obviously both will try to push through the summer, but will these shows make it to 2023?"

Nope!  

Assuming A Strange Loop wins the Tony this year, I'm fascinated to see if it will get the same Tony boost as most winners get, or if this will be an exception to the norm.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 1:58pm

I'm surprised POTUS are even selling the Balcony at the Shubert. They should have gone for Orch/Mezz only, can always open it up again if sales required it. Didn't a show at the St. James not sell the balcony in recent memory?

MadsonMelo
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:11pm

The Power of Sarah Jessica Parker, I Mean, wow!

Grossing almost the same as The Lion King, what a return, I really wish she had been nominated yesterday

MadsonMelo
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:11pm

The Power of Sarah Jessica Parker, I Mean, wow!

Grossing almost the same as The Lion King, what a return, I really wish she had been nominated yesterday

kwoc91
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:15pm

Mark_E said: "I'm surprised POTUS are even selling the Balcony at the Shubert. They should have gone for Orch/Mezz only, can always open it up again if sales required it. Didn't a show at the St. James not sell the balcony in recent memory?"

American Utopia closed off the balcony there for a period of time last winter.

MadsonMelo
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:21pm

Skin of Our Teeth are closing after the Tonys, right? sad but they are basically playing to empty houses 

This limited engagement of “Girl” will be worth because of the proshot because its not winning any awards.

The numbers for POTUS and Hangmen are really bad, I would thought Hangmen would do better.

Say what you want about the quality of the revival, but “American Buffalo” is doing decent numbers for weeks.

Also, has “Six” announced recoup? What was their captalization for the show?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:33pm

MadsonMelo said: "Also, has “Six” announced recoup? What was their captalization for the show?"

SIX was capitalized for minimum $5M maximum 6.5M –– a play-sized budget! My assumption is that they recouped sometime this winter and will never announce recoupment for the sake of modesty in a strange and difficult season. (Similarly, HAMILTON never officially announced recoupment, it was leaked.)

Or they'll announce recoupment at their Road Conference party if they really want to lean into their hit status.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:41pm

Most of POTUS's troubles are self-inflicted. Its naive producers pushed the opening night and rushed to cast it with actors who aren't box office commodities. The ad creative isn't good. They had an awful pre-opening ad campaign and needed to spend BIG to get any kind of numbers in previews during this crowded season. They sold the balc when it should have been closed from day one.

This was never going to be a big Tony contender based on what was on the page, but its narrowminded producers evidently felt otherwise.

I think it's a bad title too. The subtitle helps it, but when I see "POTUS" I think it's going to be some political screed, and that's not what most people want after the past six years. Title wise, it's not dissimilar to A DOLL'S HOUSE PART 2 or GARY, A SEQUEL TO TITUS ANDRONICUS, both of which are alienating to mass audiences.

Updated On: 5/10/22 at 02:41 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 2:48pm

Pretty shocking that NO ONE has played to sold out houses (for the entire week) for two weeks straight.   

But, OY, those numbers for Paradise Square.

I've always thought NOMINATION bumps were pretty minimal and certainly nothing long term. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 3:06pm

dramamama611 said: "I've always thought NOMINATION bumps were pretty minimal and certainly nothing long term."

When a show opens at the end of April and then nominations happen in early May, it's hard to tell what exactly caused the bump because there's a lot of WOM, advertising, and press swirling around. It's all a matter of building momentum.

We can expect to see all the Best Musicals get some kind of sales bump next week, but like you say those bumps don't stick around for the long term (see: Groundhog Day, Tootsie, Shuffle Along). The week after the Tony noms, Gent's Guide and Fun Home rose about $100K, Tootsie rose $300K, and Bright Star rose about $50K. All continued to rise thereafter, for the most part, and 3/4 of those shows were Spring openings.  PARADISE could double its grosses and would STILL be losing money.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 3:27pm

I'm most interested in the post-nomination "bumps" (or lack of) for "Paradise Square" & "Strange Loop".  Looking at "Square", the houses are maybe 1/3 sold for every performance moving forward. I see they're heavily papering again for the next week or so, also.

"Loop" on the other hand, is interesting to me because looking at the next week (compared to yesterday), they appear to have sold a lot of seats but only in the mezz. There weren't a lot sold for most days yesterday morning and the fact the balcony still has most of the seats available, lead me to believe they've pulled them and are doing HEAVY industry papering like they did their first couple weeks. If I'm right about that it's going to be reflected in the grosses/attendance next week. These aren't comments about either show just something I find interesting and look for with certain shows, this time of year. 

JasonC3
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/8/22
Posted: 5/10/22 at 5:27pm

When I've checked seats for Loop using discount codes very few have been in orchestra, but most of the mezzanine has been available for reduced prices.

Videos