pixeltracker

THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 2

THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread

OharaFosseWolfe888
#25THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/14/24 at 4:28pm

It is definitely the arrangement of No Bad News, I remember being truly baffled in the theatre when I heard it. It does nothing for the song, Melody, or the story. Confusing for such an actor with such a stunning voice! And such a classic number in The Wiz, just odd.

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#26THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/14/24 at 4:33pm

The singing is great. The arrangements go a bit off the rails towards the ends of songs for my taste, although it kind of works in "No Bad News" which is supposed to be over-the-top. Updated On: 6/14/24 at 04:33 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#27THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/14/24 at 5:00pm

"I still think it’s criminal they didn’t record the Emerald City sequence, it’s some of the best music in the whole show"

This was one of the main reasons why I was excited to hear this album. Supremely disappointing that it was not recorded. Loved that Act 2 opening.

QueenTwinnied
#28THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/14/24 at 7:01pm

OharaFosseWolfe888 said: "It is definitely the arrangement of No Bad News, I remember being truly baffled in the theatre when I heard it. It does nothing for the song, Melody, or the story. Confusing for such an actor with such a stunning voice! And such a classic number in The Wiz, just odd."

Same. I’ve heard Mabel’s version my whole life and was genuinely confused when the song started. 

Rentaholic2
#29THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:45am

This cast recording just makes me wish all the more that The Wiz LIVE! had transferred as planned. I prefer the arrangements in that production almost track-for-track. And nobody seemed to have the same complaints about the direction and production design that have plagued this revival. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#30THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:35pm

The vinyl drops two days before the Broadway run closes. Looks like I’ll be re-stage dooring to get it signed! 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#31THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/19/24 at 2:31pm

I didn’t know that cast recordings could also have the ability to take you to church, and if it really did, this Wiz would be an example of one.

This is one of the best-sung musicals on Broadway right now, the cast mastering every entry in the soul voice thesaurus. They’re helped out a lot by some exuberant new orchestrations (by Joseph Joubert). Not a weak link in the vocal department, I thought each principal actor I heard was better than the last. 

The beloved score has been brought to new heights. “You Can’t Win” handily bests the MJ version. 

For a record label that doesn’t exactly specialize in cast albums, I thought Interscope stepped up their mixing job considerably compared to last year’s Parade. Impressive.

I can only hope the physical production isn’t as schlocky as some of us think if I make it out to the Marquis this summer. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/19/24 at 02:31 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#32THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/19/24 at 2:41pm

The cast is vocally talented, but these arrangements are mystifying and sloggy. Can't see the original album leaving my regular rotation, though I wish it was streaming. 

Videos