pixeltracker

Outer Critics Circle Winners- Page 2

Outer Critics Circle Winners

sskeats
#25re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/3/04 at 1:51pm

I was kind of surprised Viola Davis didn't take it over Eileen Atkins. An awesome, awesome performance.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#26re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/3/04 at 5:05pm

I was very suprised at Donna Murphey at first, just because she is the only old fashion musical comedy actress this year with all the other nominees besides Butler holding roles they originated. But then I thought- Damn that woman is the only one displaying tripple threat star quality in her role- belting out jazzy songs, dancing up a storm, and getting whoops of laughter from the audience for her great comedic timing and powerful stage presence. I really enjoyed Donna as Ruth, but I just kind of dismissed her against the more complexe characters played by Idina and Tonya. I should have considered her more I guess.
I dont think the Tony Awards will reflect this one bit. I still think Idina (the one I really want to win) has a shot a long with Tonya.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#27re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/3/04 at 9:14pm

Much as I would LOVE to see Idina win, I don't think she stands a chance against the other competition this year. I think the real race will be between Tonya and Donna...

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#28re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/3/04 at 9:18pm

I also think Donna Murphy is a shoe in this year. She was great!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

sskeats
#29re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 12:23pm

Plum
I think you've got that wrong. The Outer Critics also includes critics from national media not just out of town.

sskeats
#30re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 12:26pm

And the Drama Desk can't possible mirror the Tony's in best play category. Most of the drama desk selection are off-off broadway and off-broadway in best play category.

MargoChanning
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 12:29pm

From Playbill.com:

The 54th annual honors will be announced May 3 and presented at a ceremony at Sardi's Restaurant, May 27. The awards, known as the first awards of the season, are decided upon by a group of writers "covering New York theatre for out-of-town newspapers, national publications and other media beyond Broadway."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

sskeats
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 1:46pm

"The Outer Critics, comprising 75 writers who cover New York theater for out-of-town and national media, divides its categories for outstanding play and musical between Broadway and off-Broadway entries. All other categories are open to candidates from on and off the Main Stem."

The above is from Backstage and what appears to be ambiguous from Margo's quote and mine above is what comprises "National" media. I read national media as AP, UPI and national magazines like Times and Newsweek and newspapers like USA Today.

Anyone know for sure?

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 1:49pm

"out of town newspapers" (i.e. Des Moines Chronicle, Little Rock Journal, Arizona Sun-Times)
I would believe that USA Today, etc. are part of the Drama Desk. Being essentially NY based reviewers who work the Broadway beat.

Hamlet's father.

sskeats
#34re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 2:02pm

I don't think you're answering my query. I know what out of town newspapers are. The issue is around national media and looking for an answer rather than opinions at this point. I can honestly say, I don't know.

National media to me would be USA Today, Time, Newsweek. How can you cover NY Theater without being here in New York?

Anyone know?

MargoChanning
#35re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 2:45pm

Well, the Washington Post's Peter Marks (the former #2 critic for the NY Times), for example, simply takes the train up from DC and attends the same critics' previews as all the NY-based critics, so his reviews generally appear in the Post the same day as all the reviews in the NY papers (by the way, any way we can make a trade and let DC have Brantley? Marks is SO much better). DC's theatre scene, while very good, is obviously considerably smaller than NY's, so it's possible for him to attend all the productions by Arena, Studio, Wooly Mammoth, the National, the Shakespeare Theatre et al, and still make it to all of the new Broadway (and major off-Broadway) shows. I imagine the critics from the Hartford, Philly and Boston papers do something similar, though it must be more of a challenge for critics located outside the northeast corridor.

The thing is, other than Chicago, DC, San Francisco, LA, Seattle and a few others, most cities just don't have that much new, interesting, professional theatre going on. Most publications outside of these few cities, to the extent they cover theatre at all, generally have an arts editor/critic who wears multiple hats covering local theatre, dance, music, gallery exhibits etc... The members of the Outer Critics Circle are those rare lucky folks that work for publications that put enough value on having a Full-Time theatre critic and are willing to pay for frequent trips to NY. Like Marks, they can handle their duties covering whatever's going on at their local theatre companies and still have plenty of time to make it to all of the major shows in NY throughout the year. Not a bad life.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

sskeats
#36re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 3:47pm

I would trade Marks for Brantley in less than half of an eye blink. And as far as Jefferson goes, not out of town, but back to teaching Silas Marner and Ethan Frome in public schools.

So those outer critics may not only have a better life, they might just have more critical sense. Certainly, better than the best plays nominated by the drama desk. Many of them far reaches and undeserving imho.

COLT!!! Profile Photo
COLT!!!
#37re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 5/4/04 at 4:01pm

Mr. Roxy, I agree with you completely. Isabel Keating was ROBBED. She is EXTRAORDINARY as Garland in "The Boy From Oz." Her performance is a Play in-and-of-itself!

Plum
#38re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 4:09pm

I wonder if Anika Noni Rose will take the Supporting Actress in a Musical award come June. She's gotten some really good reviews.

kristadavies
#39re: re: Outer Critics Circle Winners
Posted: 5/4/04 at 5:19pm

Yes, Donna was awesome in Wonderful Town, but the only good thing about that show. (And to think it could win best revival!) When she was not on stage I was bored out of my mind.
However, I think Kristin or Idina should win it over her. Both of their performances made me laugh and cry- Donna's didn't do that.

Videos