Rent Vs The Producers

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#25re: Rent Vs The Producers
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:07am

I haven't seen either show but from sound clips I've heard and video clips I've seen I could understand how RENT might not do as well considering it is somewhat of an aquired taste. Sure, I love it and think/hope it will do really well but in all honesty it is a very artsy show that touches alot of subjects that people today either are touchy with or don't quite understand. Something tells me RENT wont get as much recognicion as it deserves simply because people who arent already RENT fans (from the play) and are into the more mainstream Brad Pitt movies wont see it as something worthwhile to see because they dont really get the deeper meaning in it. I, myself, can't wait to see it and I'm sure it will get alot of coverage and recognicion from all the RENT fans out there.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#26re: Rent Vs The Producers
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:27am

Are both these movies really going to be out by the end of this year? I mean have they even started yet?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#27re: Rent Vs The Producers
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:07am

"Seasons of Love" will not be eligible for Best Song because to qualify it must be an original song. The award is actually called Best Original Song. :)

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/9/05 at 05:07 AM

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#28re: Rent Vs The Producers
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:19pm

Judging by my opinions of the directors alone, I'd give a clear advantage to The Producers. With the stage director (Stroman) working on the film as well, not to mention with the help of veteran funny film man Mel Brooks, the vision is clear. And Brooks will help the show transfer to film with NEw York as a backdrop perfectly. On the other hand, with Rent, you have Chris Columbus helming this thing. What is the pitch gonna read like? "From the director of Home Alone and Harry Potter comes....Rent?" Not sure how he'll handle this. Losing Spike Lee was a huge blow to this production from the start. On top of that, I highly doubt Rent will entice much of the middle US. Not that Producers will either with its Jewish humor and showbiz inside jokes, but i dont think the popularity of the producers failed to reach any newspaper in the US. and though i love that rent is using mostly original cast members, without real star power, what will drive those who have no interest in rock musicals out to see it?

wicked1
#29re: Rent Vs The Producers
Posted: 1/10/05 at 11:26am

I can't call which one will be up for academy awards until I see the films. Or at least hear something about them. Neither of them have started filming, have they?

I wouldn't be surprised if The Producers brought in more money. It's a well known show to everyone. Probably because of the work in film the OBC has done. The OBC for Rent, where they are known to broadway fans, they are less known to most people.

However, the amount of money a film brings in has nothing to do with winning an academy award. That will depend on the acting!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#30Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:21am

I'm bumping this as a way to kickstart a discussion on HAIRSPRAY vs. DREAMGIRLS. Apparently none of us had a clue last year that both RENT and THE PRODUCERS would turn out as they did, but regardless, throw in any input you have as to which film, HAIRSPRAY or DREAMGIRLS, will appeal moreso to a mainstream audience and which will have better Oscar chances.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#31Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:34am

Haha... yeah. My hope for musical-movies is just about completely drained. I think Hairspray will have the popular sort of teen-girl appeal because of Zac Efron (I know tons if my friends are seeing it just for him) which is a shame.

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

HeidiL87
#32Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls
Posted: 10/8/06 at 10:23am

Well, Zac is pretty darn cute but don't count out the old broads, like me, who will be going to see John Travolta and Queen Latifah! Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls Actually, I can't say which will do better because I will be seeing both. As I am a big fan of musicals, I'm hoping that both will be blockbusters so that we can get more of them in the future.
Updated On: 10/8/06 at 10:23 AM

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#33Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls
Posted: 10/8/06 at 6:29pm

Hairspray and Dreamgirls are not in the same award year/season.

Hairspray and Sweeney Todd will be... that is if ST is on schedule.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

bwayondabrain
#34Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls
Posted: 10/8/06 at 6:37pm

i think HAIRSPRAY will appeal to more people than DREAMGIRLS, but that is not saying DREAMGIRLS wont appeal to a lot of people
i really hope they "redeem" the latest movie musicals...

Isabella2
#35Hairspray vs. Dreamgirls
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:26pm

not only do i hope that all these movie musicals do well.. i hope that i'll be able to enjoy them.

Videos