Why Idina?

mikelg80 Profile Photo
mikelg80
#25re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:35pm

Ok im not a young woman, (im a youngish man) but thought id add my theory. I think Idina has become such a hit for two main reasons.

1. her talent

2. her role as elphaba. For my degree i wrote a paper on the relationship between gay men and musical theatre. one of my theories was the idea of the musical dive, playing roles where they overcome opression but are able to come through the heartache and prejudice still looking fabulous and singing the **** out of a great number, (mamma rose, Dolly levi) this was similar to one of the attractions with Judy garland, she went through all the crap in real life but could still get on that stage and perform amazingly. Elphaba's character is opressed, and has a lot of prejudice against her, something wich a lot of people can relate too (women, people of ethnic minoritites, homosexuals etc etc) despite this she still manages to get her lover and sing a beautifull duet that makes the audeince go cold. it's the american dream!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#26re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:43pm

I don't have time to fill this all out or read the thred, but I just thought I would post a quick thought.

I think she is talented, but whoever originated the role of Elphaba (and of course talented enough to play the role) would have become this popular. Its the show/character that is what made her popular.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#27re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 2:27pm

Disagree TGIF. Most of Idina's follwing started with Rent. Many of her fans were also crazy about Wild Party. Wicked gained her some new ones, but again, we're also talking about many Rentheads who used to camp out in front of the Nederlander.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Whatchmacallit Profile Photo
Whatchmacallit
#28re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 3:54pm

Disagree Justice. Of course I believed she fans from Rent who followed her on from place to place, show to show; but in the last couple of years, I do believe Wicked(and her role in it)was what has netted her a great deal of her fan base.

A man is getting along on the road to wisdom when he begins to realize that his opinion is just an opinion.

bwaybaby891
#29re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 4:35pm

1.bwaybaby891
3.2 years
4.her openess and the way her voice conveys emotion. I was totally captivated the moment i heard her sing. also i identify with her story of how she got her break.
5.Idina has a stage presence that i really felt when i saw her perform and she has a way of making you feel what she is feeling, just like the other extrodinary women mentioned.
6.I have been around Broadway since before I could walk.
7.Yes, I love the stage and everything about it.
8.New York State

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

BSoBW2
#30re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 4:50pm

Well, I'm a guy, but she has a great voice, she's a great actress, and she's HOT!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#31re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 5:28pm

"Disagree TGIF. Most of Idina's follwing started with Rent. Many of her fans were also crazy about Wild Party. Wicked gained her some new ones, but again, we're also talking about many Rentheads who used to camp out in front of the Nederlander."

The original poster asked the obsession by teenage girls. Unless they were 10 when they camped out, I doubt they are included in the RENTheads you refer too. However, (to disprove my point :) )the only reason why I bought tickets to see Wicked was because I liked Idinas voice from Rent. But, I would have to guess that most of the younger fans like her in WICKED so much that they bought the Rent CD afterwards and many don't even have or know about Wild Party. This is just an observation from reading the boards for so long.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Elphaba4
#32re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 7:42pm

Name: Elphie4
Fan ever since: Rent came out
Why I think Idina stands out: ever since her appearence in "Wicked", I think that since she was that shy but bold college student, it just spoke to me. Plus I'm in love with her voice.
Musical genre: I do have a good understanding of musical theater genre.
Pursuing?: Yes, in fact I would like to become a Broadway actress. I've been taking voice lessons, dance classes, acting workshops, high school musicals ever since 7th grade, drama clubs, show choir and voice competitions.
State: Pennsylvania, USA

I LOVE IDINA!!!!!

"There will always be women in rubber flirting with me" ~Maureen, RENT

Videos