Why Idina?

tiger_lily007
#0Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 7:40pm

I know, I know, another Idina thread. I have been reading some of the posts here and elsewhere refering to the numerous young people who are harbouring intense Idina Menzel obsessions. Therefore, when I was given the chance to pick my own topic for a paper for my 3rd year Musical Theatre class in University, I decided that it would be interesting to discuss WHY Idina Menzel appeals to young women. So, I was interested in hearing some thoughts on this issue from either those young women who have been touched by Idina Menzel's talents, or those who might want to give a hypothesis. I have a brief questionaire, if you'd like to fill it out. The data will be used to complete my essay. Thanks a lot!

1. You can write your screenname or your first name here:
2. How old are you?
3. How long have you been a fan of Idina Menzel?
4. What is it about Idina that has captured your admiration and loyalty as a fan?
5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you? Why do you support her talents as opposed to those of Ethel Merman, Barbara Cook, Bernadette Peters, Kristin Chenoweth, Sutton Foster etc.
6. How familliar are you with the musical theatre genre?
7. Are you currently pursuing and/or dreaming of a life in Musical Theatre?
8. Where are you hailing from (you can just write your state/province and your country if it's outside the US or Canada).

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#1re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 7:57pm

1. ElphieDefiesGravity
2. 17
3. Since April 2004
4. I think she has an amazing voice and is an outstanding performer. I fell in love with her voice on the Wicked cast recording and have since bought both her cds and RENT. I was drawn to her protrayal of Elphaba just by the way she sang the songs on the OCBR, and when I actually saw the show, I discovered her talent as an actor as well. I think I also want to BE her in someways. She is gorgeous and has the HOTTEST husband alive! re: Why Idina? She is living out one of my dreams.
5. I am also huge Kristin, Sutton, and Bernadette fans, as well as other performers of Broadway past and present. However, if asked who I would most like to meet, I think I would say Idina. There is just something about her that draws me to her. I think it has a lot to do with the character of Elphaba, but also that she is a totally real person with insecurities, etc.
6. Since joining this site, I have become much more familiar with the musical theatre genre, but I admit that I am not very knowledgeable about it, especially compared to some of the posters here!
8. Dreaming, but just that. To actually pursue it would be a vain attempt, which is part of the reason I am a huge fan of Idina, Kristin, Sutton, etc. They are doing what I WISH I could be doing.
9. North Carolina

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

Yankeefan007
#2re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 8:06pm

1. You can write your screenname or your first name here: Rob
2. How old are you? I am however old you want me to be.
3. How long have you been a fan of Idina Menzel? since Rent
4. What is it about Idina that has captured your admiration and loyalty as a fan? she's a local girl who made good
5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you? Why do you support her talents as opposed to those of Ethel Merman, Barbara Cook, Bernadette Peters, Kristin Chenoweth, Sutton Foster etc. she is in a class with all of them.
6. How familliar are you with the musical theatre genre? very
7. Are you currently pursuing and/or dreaming of a life in Musical Theatre? yes
8. Where are you hailing from (you can just write your state/province and your country if it's outside the US or Canada). NYC

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#3re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 8:08pm

Will we be able to read your paper once it is done? I would be very interested in reading it!
Also, to add to my previous post: Her singing is so passionate it just draws me to it.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#4re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 8:41pm

I PMed this point to you, but I just felt like posting it. The one question, comparing Idina to Ethel Merman and Barbara Cook...I don't think that's something that most of Idina's "young fans" would be able to do. I think as much as we can appreciate Ethel Merman and how important she was to broadway, we never had the joy of seeing her live in a show. It's just a whole different effect, hearing the voice, seeing the person perform, that I just know that's the answer for me and I think the same would apply for many others. I really can only compare Idina to others I've seen live on stage. Just wanted to make that point.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#5re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 8:45pm

alright...I'll bite.

1. CatieElphie1
2. 17
3. about a year or so?
4. I think she is a talented artist...
5. I think Idina stands out to me because I can connect with her in her role as Elphaba. I think also, it's her joy. Even just listening to the album, you can feel her joy at doing what she does.
and as to the other ladies, it's not that I think Idina is BETTER then them, in fact, on a scale of 1-10 based on the list of performers given, I would rate Idina a charitable 4. Maybe a 6. But I think in the case of her as solely Elphaba, there's a deffinate connection that many young girls feel. I don't think that she is all that good, in truth. She has an excellent voice, but so do hundreds of other people. I think in my case, it is the combination of the writing, acting, singing, staging and directing that make me feel Elphaba!
6. very.
7. indeed I am.
8. Illinois.

Was that a fat joke?

LilElphaba
#6re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 9:11pm

hey!! Amanda!! pssssssssst its me!!!!!! Lil_Misz_Idina from SB!!!! HI!!!! I filled this out already on SB

I LOVE SHOSHANA BEAN.

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#7re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 9:27pm

1. NightLaughs
2. 18
3. 4 Years
4. I heard her outstanding vocals on the OBCR of Rent and was blown away so I decided I had to look into her more. I got her CD, downloaded some live music, and ended up loving all of her work I encountered. Wicked finally gave me the chance to see her live.
5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you? Idina's unique voice in itself drew me in, and is enough to keep up my admiration, but as I I learned more about her, and saw her perform, I felt she had this raw, real quality to her. She wasn't a diva floating above the masses. She was a real person with an amazing gift to move people. Every time I saw her I got chills. She posesses a certain quality to make you care about the characters she plays, that goes beyond the normal scope. Not to mention the way that woman can belt... wow. I also adore all of the music she has written, it's honest and creative. (And I am a big fan of Sutton Foster as well...)
6. I'm very familiar with musical theater.
7. Nope
8. Pennsylvania

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz
Updated On: 2/7/05 at 09:27 PM

Jon
#8re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:16pm

Speaking as a middle aged man, I became a fan of Idina's when she flashed her ass in RENT.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#9re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:18pm

oh, that crazy maureen johnson! re: Why Idina?

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

La Vie Boheme
#10re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:20pm

Looks like we got a Merve the Perve in this thread...

...or just another guy. I agree!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#11re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:23pm

did u actually just say MERVE THE PERVE

Much love. That is incredible.

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#12re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:24pm

1. CVAPB (Carolyn)
2. 20
3. About a year
4. I met her 5 times after Wicked, and she was always very gracious and kind.
5. Her voice is so powerful. Hearing her sing just moves me. (I am actually a huge Bernadette fan). She is just so passionate.
6. Pretty familiar
7. No
8. Palm Beach, Florida

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#13re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:24pm

1. You can write your screenname or your first name here: Lauren

2. How old are you? 17

- Since the Wicked cast recording came out.

4. What is it about Idina that has captured your admiration and loyalty as a fan?
- I was impressed with her voice on the CD. People a lot of times criticize her for her screeching, but when she isn't belting, I think her voice carries a very beautiful melody and it is actually pleasant sounding.

5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you? Why do you support her talents as opposed to those of Ethel Merman, Barbara Cook, Bernadette Peters, Kristin Chenoweth, Sutton Foster etc.
- The girl has been through a lot. At one point, she was receiving threatening letters. Also, her broken ribs didn't stop her from going on stage on her real last performance and sing a little bit of the last song...that shows real dedication. She looks stunning on stage and captures many people's attention.

- I'll admit I am not as familiar with it as some of the theatre geniuses on this board. I haven't been around for many years to see some of the classic shows. Also, although I am not far from NYC, I don't see many shows a year. I go to mostly tours, and if I'm lucky, maybe Broadway a couple times a year. I haven't been exposed to many of the aspects of musical theatre, but after joining this board, I've been learning more and more!

- No. I can't sing, dance, or act for my life.

8. Where are you hailing from (you can just write your state/province and your country if it's outside the US or Canada).
- CT

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ashley0139
#14re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 10:30pm

1. You can write your screenname or your first name here: Ashley
2. How old are you? 17
3. How long have you been a fan of Idina Menzel? since RENT- her take me or leave me is amazing
4. What is it about Idina that has captured your admiration and loyalty as a fan? first her Maureen in RENT, I never saw her but I could hear what I thought she would be doing in her voice, she was expressive. Then I heard Wicked and thought she sounded good in that too.
5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you? Why do you support her talents as opposed to those of Ethel Merman, Barbara Cook, Bernadette Peters, Kristin Chenoweth, Sutton Foster etc. I think she is a great performer but don't think that YET she is in the league of these greats. I think time will tell.
6. How familliar are you with the musical theatre genre? I like to think I am pretty familiar with it but compared to a lot of people on the board... not at all.
7. Are you currently pursuing and/or dreaming of a life in Musical Theatre? yes
8. Where are you hailing from (you can just write your state/province and your country if it's outside the US or Canada). Atlanta

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#15re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 11:14pm

1. You can write your screenname or your first name here: Meagan
2. How old are you? 19...almost 20
3. How long have you been a fan of Idina Menzel? May 25, 1996 (first time I saw RENT)
4. What is it about Idina that has captured your admiration and loyalty as a fan? Idina is a very real performer. She puts herself on the line. Nothing is off limits, she tells it like it is. She's insanely talented, and extremely kind.
5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you? Why do you support her talents as opposed to those of Ethel Merman, Barbara Cook, Bernadette Peters, Kristin Chenoweth, Sutton Foster etc. They're all very different...I respect each of them for individual accomplishments. Being 19, Rent was the first show I saw on Broadway. Idina was the first actress I ever met. I like that I've seen her grow so much as a performer through the years. As much respect as I have for actresses like Ethel Merman or Angela Lansbury, I never got to see them on stage...nevermind following them from their broadway debut right up through current projects.
6. How familliar are you with the musical theatre genre? For someone my age, I'd say very. There's still a lot I don't know, but I'm just as interested in old/closed shows as I am in new ones :)
7. Are you currently pursuing and/or dreaming of a life in Musical Theatre? Well, I'm a music industry/marketing double major in college. I would love to work with the theatre either in marketing, or as an artists' manager.
8. Where are you hailing from (you can just write your state/province and your country if it's outside the US or Canada). Well, Boston for now...but I'm planning on moving to New York after college.

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#16re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 11:19pm

1. Justice
2. 29
3. Since 1996, when I first saw her in Rent - so - 9 years.
4. i Really enjoy the unique qualities her voice has to offer. You don't find many singers out there who sound like her. She also has the look I like. In Pop, she would equivelate to Nelly Furtado.
5. She's different from any other performers you mentioned. She does not have the typical Broadway sound, yet, can belt a Broadway tune and make it a showstopper.
6. Studied Musical Theatre in high school. Moved to NYC. See at least one Broadway show per month.
7. Kind of.
8. Originally, Florida. Am a New Yorker. Soon to be moving to LA.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.
Updated On: 2/7/05 at 11:19 PM

ozdustgirl2 Profile Photo
ozdustgirl2
#17re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 11:20pm

1. Katie
2. 18
3. since April 2004
4. I was dreading seeing WICKED with my senior class. I had never seen the Wizard of Oz before I saw WICKED and I even though I love Broadway musicals I was more then loathing seeing WICKED. When I heard her voice she blew me away. She is such a powerful singer and performer. I thought she was wonderful and from then on I have bought both her solo CDs and also RENT and saw RENT twice and WICKED again because of Idina. She is truely inspirational and she seem like a wonderful person. I also think that she is very passionate about each and every role she is in. She was so thoughtful in WICKED and she made me realize that with time the girl will always find true love, Thanks Idina. She is also very beautiful and she holds herself with utmost grace.
5. To me Idina is a stand out performer because she can transform into so many roles and she has a powerful rock voice which works well with a lot of songs. I support her because she is following her dreams and showing young performers what hard work and dedication can do. I have nothing against the other women I think they are wonderful also, but there is something about Idina that captures me and keeps me wanting to listen to more.
6. I have seen six shows Crazy for You, Les Mis (3 or 4 times), WICKED (2 times), The Phantom of the Opera, Fiddler on the Roof and RENT (2 times) I would say I am pretty familiar, I read broadway.com. playbill.com and broadwayworld.com everyday and try to keep up with what is going on in the theater.
7. I would love too but no, I am pursuing a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. I have a bad voice and get very nervous performing but I wish I could because Idina is my role model.
8. Ohio

Thanks, I hope this helps for you paper. and good luck with it. I hope to be able to read this paper. It sounds like it will be wonderful.

"There are times when were dirt broke, and hungry and freezing and I ask myself why the hell am I still living here?...And then they call!" ~ Mark Cohen RENT movie
Updated On: 2/7/05 at 11:20 PM

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#18re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 11:48pm

Sure, why not
1. broadwaystar2b
2. 17
3. Almost 5 years (Rent OBCR was one of my 13th b-day presents)
4. What honestly first attracted me to Idina was that she was the original Maureen in Rent, my favourite character in one of my favourite shows. I also heard bits and pieces of her first solo CD "Still I Can't Be Still" and liked that her lyrics were more meaningful than those of typical pop music. However, I did not get the oppurtunity to see her live until I saw Wicked around Nov. 03. I knew nothing of the show other than it was the "backstory" of Oz and who was in it (this was monthes before the OBCR came out). Hearing Idina sing "The Wizard & I", with me knowing absolutely nothing from the show, literally moved me to tears and my admiration of "The Original Maureen" grew to become admiration of Idina Menzel.
5. I adore all of the aforementioned ladies and hold Idina up to Kristin and Sutton's status. I do find Idina unique to those ladies in that she marches to her own drummer. Her voice is not the traditional Broadway belter sound that the other actresses have, but it's nonetheless powerful and gorgeous. Also, although I don't believe her to be an amazing actress, her passion shines onstage and no one can deny that she's a great performer.
6. Very familiar, my saying I've been emerced in it since birth isn't much of a stretch
7. Yes I am
8. FL

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#19re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 11:56pm

1. luvtheEmcee
2. 18
3. Since the first time I saw RENT, and bought the CD shortly after... so, that's December of 2002.
4. Given how I "discovered" Idina, she captured my attention because of her involvement in the OBC of RENT. Rent is one of my most beloved musicals, and has a very special place in my heart. The original cast members are some of my most favourite people in theatre. She clearly fits the category. I also have an intense admiration for these actors who are branching out and writing and recording their own music. They're TRUE talent. Idina's music is great. I saw her live in Wicked for the first time about a year and a half ago, and she amazed me.
5. Well, I don't support her talents in opposition to anyone. I'ma fan of Idina's, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan of someone like Bernadette Peters or Sutton Foster, by any means. Idina stands out as a performer for her vocals, to me.
6. Very familiar, I think. Obviously because of my age more familiar with "newer" stuff, but I think I know what I'm talking about, usually.
7. Maybe in production or journalism. I don't act at all, though.
8. New York.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

iheartmark
#20re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:02am

1. iheartmark
2. 13
3. Around Christmas of 2004
4. I listened to her on the RENT OBCR after seeing the show, and even after being amazed by the girl who played Maureen then, I was blown away by her voice and how she could do so much with it and how powerful it was. She is an amazing actress.
5. Like I said, her voice is so powerful. I'm also a big Kristin Chenoweth and Bernadette fan.
6. Fairly familiar; I've been in it since I was 7 and I have a lot of theater friends, usually I know what I'm talking about :)
7. Most definately.
8. Olympia

"Kali, why is Roger on a cliff?" "Because the cliff is love, Rachel." "Oh."

Broadway Style Profile Photo
Broadway Style
#21re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:19am

1. Broadway Style
3.Since "Wicked" mania really picked up and all I could hear about was Idina Idina Idina
4. Well, someone told me I looked like the Wicked witch in "Wicked" one day which of course I took offensively until I looked "Wicked" up one day online. I honestly didn't like Idina when I first saw/heard her, I don't know exactly why..she was different and I was used to more conventional musical theatre performers. For some reason though, I kept listening to her and eventually I started to identify really strongly with her. I went to see "Wicked" expecting the moon from her and I left disappointed, but afterwards as I walked to the subway and reflected on moments in the show I realized just what a strong performance she actually gave. I wasn't the most impressed with her acting but her voice really got to me as I left the theater. I guess perhaps narcissictically I see a lot of myself in Idina...I happen to physically resemble her somewhat, and my voice @ times can sound reminscent of hers(though not alike @ all!). I think a lot of people find things in Idina that remind them of themself. I guess mostly I am attracted to her as a performer b/c of her humanness.She just seems very real most of the time and I think that is a rare quality in musical theatre.
5. I think 4 encompasses 5 somewhat. I support all of the people you mentioned in different ways....liking Idina doesn't detract from admiring their talents. Although my favorite performer in the world is Streisand(whom I believe Idina admires as well)
6. Well my first Broadway show was "Hairspray" so I am really a newcomer to liking theatre and most of what I know about it I have learned from this board-so I guess that would make me certainly above the average person my age but definitely nowhere near fanatic status.
7. I like musical theatre but I have no idea what I want to do with my life yet.
8. SF

"Fidelity is more than mere display, it's what a man expects from life. Fidelity, like mine to Desiree and Charlotte my devoted wife..."

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#22re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 9:08am

Oh I like this!

1. seasons of love
2. 14
3. I had heard the RENT cast recording in little pieces before I saw WICKED, and I was completely blown away by her voice. It was so unique to anything that I had ever heard before. Then in 2003 I got the chance to see WICKED and I was moved to tears by her portrayal of Elphaba. So I guess I've been a fan for about 3 or 4 years...
4. What is it about her? Everything. She is so unique and refreshing on stage, and she has an amazing voice. Idina commands your attention; you have to watch her because she is just one of those people who is fascinating on stage. I think that what really captured me was her incredible voice and the honesty in her acting.
5. I am a big fan of Merman, Cook, Chenoweth, and Peters... but there is just something about Idina that makes her very special. As many others have said, her voice is not the traditional voice that you hear from many Broadway performers, and I think that makes her very unique in that way. Idina has such passion for her acting and singing, and there is an honesty that comes through. You feel so connected to the character that she is portraying when you listen to her sing or speak lines.
6. Well, for my age I would say that I am very familiar with the musical theater genre. I have seen about 13 shows on Broadway (no repeats) since I was 5. I also listen to a lot of the classics on cd, or on dvds.
7. Oh yes. It's been my dream ever since I was very young. :)
8. I was born in New York City, but right now I live in CT. I plan to go to school in the city or live there after college.

Good luck with your paper, and I hope you'll post it so we can read it! :)

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

lac77
#23re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 9:50am

1. lac77
2. 20
3. 1 year
4. Her incredible voice and down-to-earth personality.
5. Mainly her huge voice. I am also a huge fan of Bernadette though.
6. Pretty familiar, probably see about 2 shows a month.
7. Not as an actress, though I would like to be somehow involved.
8. Rhode Island

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#24re: Why Idina?
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:01pm

Very interesting questions and responses...I'd love to see the finished product!

1. You can write your screenname or your first name here:
Andi
2. How old are you?
older than the typical fan!
June 2004
There are certain people that have this quality about them that just draws you to them. Not just performers or celebrities--in fact I have two friends who most of the world will never know, who have this quality. However, some celebrities I see it in are: Jennifer Garner, Katie Couric (though debatable), Jamie Fox, Princess Diana, Amy Grant, and many others including Idina. What does it entail? What I see is a lack of pretension, vulnerability, honesty, genuine warmth, appreciation for their sucess and those who have contributed to it (fans and professionals), an unedited persona, the ability to make you feel like you are the only person in the room when you meet them, among other things I am sure. It's this quality that leads me from an admirer of talent to a fan of whomever. And despite my age, it is my persoanl experience that young fans (specifically girls) are typically looking for someone like that to admire.
5. What makes Idina stand out as a performer to you?
For me, it is the scope of her vocal abilities. She's a rock star and a lounge singer and a Broadway belter. She's proof that you can do all three. I first became a fan of her songwriting on "Here" and then saw her in Wicked, then revisited Rent and Still I Can't Be Still. There is something about her that is non-traditional...something about her talent that defies catagorization, and something about her person that refuses it...that is what I love.
Fairly...
B/c of people like Idina who have proven that your path doesn't have to be traditional, yes.
8. Where are you hailing from (you can just write your state/province and your country if it's outside the US or Canada). NYC, by way of Nashville.

So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE

Videos