Mary Poppins CD

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#25Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 9:26pm

Kec,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are a scholar!

Now, I would love for you to tell me if you became emotional at the end of the show. Everyone that I talk to that's seen the show said that they were in tears.

Thanks again!
John

kec Profile Photo
kec
#26Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:01am

Well...Uhm...

Yeah. I did... not only at the end but when the Bird Woman sings Feed the Birds and I think during Let's Go Fly A Kite. I had the same reaction when I listened to the CD on Sunday,

What can I say... childhood memories are very strong for me when I see this film. Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

Just call me a sentimental slob... Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Updated On: 4/27/05 at 02:01 AM

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#27Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 6:40am

I really like the new arrangements for Let's Go Fly A Kite. I think the end with Mary coming down the sky is so emotional for me!
My CHICAGO the musical group!!!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#28Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 9:59am

Egads! More questions!

Okay, since I hadn't read the book since a child, I broke out my old copy and skimmed through. It looks like the stage play is a culmination of both MARY POPPINS and MARY POPPINS COMES BACK.

How does Mary Poppins enter the stage? In the book, she walks through the gates of Number 17, and is blown to the steps by a gust of wind. And we all know how she arrives in the movie.

Same goes for her exit. I've heard that she flies OVER the audience? How dramatic!

And just for Sh*ts and giggles...does the parrot head on her umrbrella ever talk?

Until I am fortunate enough to see the show in real, I'm living vicariously through the ones of you who have!

I'm giddy over this...

-John

kec Profile Photo
kec
#29Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 10:23am

Mary Poppins first appears on stage behind Mr. and Mrs. Banks, in the house. She suddenly appears out of nowhere. Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

Yes, when she leaves for good, she flies up from the stage over the audience, and I assume into the ceiling. I was in the back part of the dress circle so I couldn't see exactly where she went, but I can tell you after July 7... Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

I don't believe the parrot on the umbrella talks...

Wanna know the nifty little thing Bert does during "Step in Time"? Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#30Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 11:16am

Thanks, Kec!

Of course I want to know what Bert does during STEP IN TIME! I think I have a hunch!

I read somewhere that someone was unimpressed with the special effects that were executed in Poppins, but from everything I've heard, from the collapsable house etc...they've sounded wondrous!

Don't hesitate to PM me, Kec...you're my hero!

-John

EganFan2
#31Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 12:45pm

How can you use your US Amazon account to order the soundtrack? Do you order off of the Amazon.uk page, or the regular one to do this? Thanks.

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#32Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 12:55pm

Hey EganFan2,

You have to go to amazon.co.uk and when it asks for your username and password, it'll be the same as your US account. It only took about 5 days for me to get mine.

-John

iluvtheatertrash
#33Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 1:23pm

Just came in the mail and I am loving every single second of this!!!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

kec Profile Photo
kec
#34Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:21pm

"I read somewhere that someone was unimpressed with the special effects that were executed in Poppins, but from everything I've heard, from the collapsable house etc...they've sounded wondrous! "

Hmmm... must have been a very jaded individual. Remember in the movie, the scene in the nursery where Mary opens her carpet bag, and pulls out a mirror, a lamp, a hat stand? Well...

add a bed to that list. Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

Oh, and Bert's little trick? Nothing much...he just walks/dances up one side of the proscenium, across the top, upside down, and then down the other side...

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#35Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:27pm

Yes! I heard about Bert's dancing. How the heck?? Do you have any thoughts on how it was done?

And pulling the bed out of her carpet bag? She doesn't exactly pack light, eh?

I looked on the cast list and it doesn't list Neleus specifically. I would love to know who he is. I love his voice in Jolly Holiday and in Temper, Temper...

-John

kec Profile Photo
kec
#36Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:42pm

Neleus is played by Stuart Neal. For more info about him visit www.reanimator.co.uk.

As for Bert... I can only say he did what he did the same way Mary flies...Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#37Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:56pm

Thanks Kec.

Ah, I'm in love with a Neleus. Ha ha! Wow...he just turned 20 in February. I'm only 29...but I feel like a dirty, dirty man all of a sudden....

-John

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#38Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:59pm

Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

So tell me, does he look good in granite?
Updated On: 4/27/05 at 02:59 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#39Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 3:10pm

A little hard to see from the Dress Circle... I'll let you know after July 7. Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#40Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/27/05 at 3:19pm

Need a date, Kec?? ;O )
Updated On: 4/27/05 at 03:19 PM

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#41Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 10:06am

I don't know about you guys, but a few moments on the cast recording that really move me are:

• "Being Mrs. Banks". It's so haunting and sad to hear her sing of settling for something that she doesn't feel comfortable with.

• When Michael sings, "Lets hope she will sh-tay" at the end of the Jolly Holiday reprise. It's the cutest damn thing I've ever heard.

• Mrs. Corry. She just plain rocks. She seems like she would be fun to drink with. Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

• Temper, Temper. The first time I heard it, it felt so out-of-place. But now that I know the context, it seems to fit in perfectly. Mary sure does have a way of getting her point across, eh? What a great song, too...

The more I hear this CD, the more I'm absolutely in love with it. After work yesterday, I sat down and watched the Special Features on the DVD release of the original film. I didn't know there was so much, but I must have been in front of the tele for nearly 3 hours. I didn't know that a version of PRACTICALLY PERFECT had been written for the movie, to be sung in the place of and to the tune of SISTER SUFFRAGETTE. Even though I wouldn't change a thing about the movie, I think that the decision to make Winifred Banks an actress (who gave up her career for her husband) was a smart move. It give her character more to work with towards her transformation into her own person.

Anyway, I'm jumping back into my graphic design, listening and picking apart the Poppins cast recording...for the better, I'm sure.

-John
Updated On: 5/2/05 at 10:06 AM

mntwister Profile Photo
mntwister
#42Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 10:23am

Of course, no one can ever replace Julie, but this UK version is pretty good. I am a huge fan of the movie orchestrations, so was a little disappointed in some of the changes, perhaps because I am so used to the movie score. I can't wait to see this show when it hits the USA......for fans of Mary Poppins, be sure not to miss the 2-disc dvd recently released, and ESPECIALLY the new 2-cd soundtrack set that came out last month. They have remastered the entire movie score from the original studio session tapes...including the background music in the film, it's all there, and it sounds better than any previous release of this music. In fact, considering it was Disney, who had less-than-average recording techniques, it's surprisingly one of the best soundtrack cd's I have ever heard. It also includes a huge booklet, and a 2nd CD of extras including interviews with the Sherman brothers and Julie, plus a 45 minute meeting with P.L. Travers, creator of the books BEFORE she handed over the rights, stating what must be kept, fascinating!

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#43Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 10:29am

As my name might suggest, I'm a huge Mary Poppins fan, and the new CD of the musical is stunning. Laura-Michelle Kelly is a true star. The new songs are great, particularly Anything Can Happen, Practically Perfect and Being Mrs Banks. Go buy it, you'll love it!

Mary P x

ruthiefan_felix
#44Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:13pm

***SPOILERS***
Lemme clear the stage appearances up:
- Mary appears the first time after 'Cherry Tree Lane'. Whole Banks points to the ceiling n then a spark on the ceiling, and then Mary appears at the back of them.
- During Practically Perfect, she pulls out from her bag, a coat hanger, a tree and some kinda clothings... can't remember. Then she walks and with Jane pulls out a big carpet and when they are laying it on the floor, something's under it and it's a bed! It's quite magical!
- At the end of Act 1, when mary leaves for good, she flies with her umbrella over the rooftop, and it's onstage
- At the end of Let's Go Fly A Kite, the kite got stuck and everyone helps pull it down and then Mary holds the kite from the sky and descends (the flying is still on stage). I think the descending is quite a emotional moment for me
- Then in end of 'Brimstone & Teachle', a acge appears onstage and Ms Andrews gets locked in there as Mary controls her. Then at the end, Mary slides up the stairs handle and then the cage disappears. I LOVE this song!
- During Step In Time, Bert walks on the frame of the stage and dances on the top of the stage, the children are quite amazed.. i meant the children audiences btw
- At the end of the show, the children shouts out ,'We Love You Mary Poppins!!!' And then Mary appears flying above the rooftop and then opens her umbrella and then starts descends down to the auditorium and then up to the ceiling of the theatre. It is VERY amazing for me and the whole theatre just burst into applause when she flies down and I just LOVE this moment, even though I have seen it 2 consequtive times!

The dancing is just TOTALLY amazing!
and the set, god damn it! I think its my favourite set! nothing REALLY REALLY special, but it just feel SO homely when u see a man-size house onstage... like a man-size doll house! just amazing!
Special effects, great!
The whole show is SO good. I like the movie, but only saw it twice, so I did not have such an affection to it compared to other posters here!

I cannot stop myself from listening to the show (sth I recorded! :P) and then also the toy house from the brochure!!!!
SEE THE SHOW IN LONDON IF YOU CAN!!!!
will keep on posting if i can think of more stuff about the show... and sorry for SO many spoilers for those who is going to see the show!
My CHICAGO the musical group!!!

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#45Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:37pm

Mntwister,

I love the original movie...I grew up on it. I'm under rehire with Disney as a character artist, and think that Poppins is Disney's crowning achievement. That said...

When I first heard the new London Cast Recording, I was suspect. But, I broke out my old original Mary Poppins books, and think that the adaptation is nothing short of brilliance.

I know it's hard to seperate the stage show from the film, but one MUST to appreciate it's full impact. As I stated before, I sat down and re-watched disc two of the special edition DVD's yesterday after work...and I always find myself immersed in EVERYTHING they provided to us, the fans. And now I'm lost. You mentioned that there was a special 2 disc CD released last month? Is this new? I didn't know anything about it. I purchased a 2-disc CD last November when I was at the parks, that was coinciding with the DVD release in December. Maybe this is what you're talking about?

I can't wait for Poppins to come to the states, either...

-John

ruthiefan_felix
#46Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:51pm

I know that I will get shot if I say that again, but PLEASE DO NOT BRING MARY POPPINS TO BRODWAY PLZ!!!!! You can have everything you like, but I just think Mary Poppins is SO English/British, it'll be totally weird in the states! And if every show in London goes to Broadway, and only 1 show every yr goes from Broadway to london, wt the hell will the US tourist watch???!!! I just think Mary should stay and not fly to the states... sorry guys... just my opinion.. *don't throw tomatoes... no eggs either..'

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#47Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:01pm

To ruthiefan_felix,

I'm just curious about what you posted a few days back:

"I think the musical is SO gd. Definitely one of the best things I have seen in my life and I have to say to everyone here, go watch the show if you can! But I still feel strongly against a Broadway transfer as I think that it is a VERY British show and, not being discriminative or anything, I think it'll just ruin the whole thing have Mary Poppins or the cast of American accent... sorry, I just can't imagine and stand it!"

"Ruin" is such a harsh word, there Ruthie. I grew up with AA Milne, Lewis Carroll, PL Travers, Michael Bond, CS Lewis and now as an adult I read JK Rowling's "Harry Potter' novels. I'm an American through and through, but I also consider myself somewhat of an Anglophile. Why in the world would you suspect that, just because the stage version of Mary Poppins might come to Broadway, American actors would not use British accents? And even so, who says that there wouldn't be a chance of any UK actors being in it? Although I agree that Poppins should deliver what is expected, including British accents, I would hope that there would be more validity to your argument than what's presented. And I hate to say it my dear, but yes, you are being discriminative.

I'm all for a move to Broadway...

-John

ruthiefan_felix
#48Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:06pm

I am sorry... I was harsh. but I just think it does not feel right to bring Mary to Broadway... I have a few GREAT Broadway Marys already in mind, Sutton..etc But i think it just should not transfer... can't say why or how... do u understand? And also, I think that it's unfair on Westend that like ALL The hits go to Broadway and like 1 hit per year goes to WE.... like Millie, then Producers.... just my opinion... I apologize to those I have offended! :P sorry!

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#49Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:08pm

I'll make you a deal, Ruthie...

You can have WICKED, and we'll take Poppins. Fantasy for fantasy, eh? Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

I would MUCH rather see Megan McGinnis in the role of Mary Poppins before I saw Sutton.

-John
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 01:08 PM

Videos