pixeltracker

Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?- Page 2

Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?

#25re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 4:32pm

SWEENEY TODD closed at a loss. If the show had opened today, do you think it would have turned a profit?

I think there's two different questions involved though:
1. If it opened today, would it have made a profit? And
2. If it opened today, would it have run longer?

Theoretically, if it opened today under the same set/cast, it would have cost more. Shows seem to need to run longer nowadays to turn a profit.

As for the Roundabout, Margot, we'll see how it fares but I think it's a different case. This Sweeney may become *much* more profitable. Simply because the cast is so small, and the orchestra *is* the cast. Also smaller sets... a Teeney Todd would have to run much less time to receive a profit than the original huge production.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#26re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 4:35pm

I think Bare would, but there's really no chance of that happening. More people became familiar with it after it closed.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#27re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 4:50pm

Rags, I think they did a production that had a tightened book that actually worked. And this score.... Strouse is the best!

MargoChanning
#28re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 4:56pm

Roundabout is not producing this revival. They dropped out months ago and it's now a purely commercial venture.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#29re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 5:04pm

Margo, does that mean we can hope for a bigger Sweeney Todd revival with a REAL orchestra and a larger cast? re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits? That would be teriffic.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#30re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 6:18pm

"(Notice how the WICKED airheads always manage to twist every thread to mention that show.)"

I am so glad you said that! I can't believe people are answering this question with "Wicked". Ugh!!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

MargoChanning
#31re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 6:57pm

Word is that they may be scrapping the idea of having the actors double as the orchestra (which apparently worked well in London) and instead may hire a real (though I would assume small-ish) orchestra for this production, though it's just a rumor at this point.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#32re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 8:05pm

yay. real full orchestra would be teriffic. After all if it is totally commercial then there is no point in minimalism.

nelliecollins
#33re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 8:29pm

One little off-broadway show that I think would be very well-received now is ZOMBIE PROM. It really flopped back in the mid-90's, but after the success of things lik BAT BOY and the REEFER MADNESS movie, I think it would have sold a lot of tickets if it had gone up after those shows.

And I think SIDE SHOW flopped because of some really crummy marketing. I think audiences may be a little more ready for the subject matter now, too. I don't think people really knew what to make of it, but if it caught on today (especially with internet communities like this one), word would spread pretty quick that it's worth seeing.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#34re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 8:35pm

I'd like to see Children of Eden. Was it a flop? I understand it never made it to Broadway so it can't have been that well received.

Given some Schwartz and Wicked associative marketing, It could do well.

I'd love to see Carrie.

I saw Bombay Dreams on Broadway and loathed the book but I think the show has spectacle value. Perhaps if they radically altered the book, it might fare better? Maybe Broadway audiences don't want to see an Indian show though. I guess Bombay Dreams hardly qualifies as 'Yesterday's flop though...

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."
Updated On: 7/8/05 at 08:35 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#35re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:34am

"does that mean we can hope for a bigger Sweeney Todd revival with a REAL orchestra and a larger cast? That would be teriffic.."

Indeed you will. Every couple of years it is revived by New York City Opera and not only a full orchestra but one double the size of a Broaway pit. And they usually use Hal Prince's staging (albeit as modified for the 2nd Road tour.) Other opera companies (Houston, Chicago) have done it so if you want SWEENEY doen big go for one of their productions. (Kennedy Centre's production with Brian Stokes Mitchell was exceptionally well done!)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

VIETgrlTerifa
#36re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:46am

"I am so glad you said that! I can't believe people are answering this question with "Wicked". Ugh!!"

Actually, the first poster who even mentioned Wicked was saying how badly it would flop in 20 years. It wasn't the Wicked "airheads" that first mentioned Wicked in this thread, but yeah let's blame them anyway.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Jon
#37re: Yesterday's Flops - Today's Hits?
Posted: 7/10/05 at 9:27am

If RAGS opened for the first time today, it would be seen as a rip-off of RAGTIME - or at least, the "Jewish" part of Ragtime.

In fact, the cover art on the original "concept" CD of RAGTIME was remarkably similar to the RAGS CD.

Videos