pixeltracker

Poll: Female Broadway Legends- Page 2

Poll: Female Broadway Legends

kjklo
#25re: Poll: Female Broadway Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 12:40pm

Sad but true, as far as the state of theater. And you're right about standards; no one should have to apologize for having high ones. I think another reason for the pervasive superlatives is simply that advertising and p.r. hyperbole has so saturated the public mind that people unconsciously pick up and parrot it in their everyday speech.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#26re: Poll: Female Broadway Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 12:52pm

Why is Julie Harris the only non musical actress to choose from ( even though she would be my choice)? How about Helen Hayes, Jessica Tandy, Rosemary Harris, Eva La Gallienne, Irene Worth among others? Granted, most of the brainlees Wicked theatre teens around here have never heard of them, even though they say they know and love theatre.

And to say that Angela Lansbury is not a Broadway legend is just plain stupid.
Updated On: 8/20/05 at 12:52 PM

kjklo
#27re: Poll: Female Broadway Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 12:57pm

My god, I just realized we've forgotten the greatest of all.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Miss Helen Lawson!

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#28re: Poll: Female Broadway Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 12:58pm

Julie Andrews
Mary Martin
Ethel Merman

I'm obsessed with them. They are my top 3 favorite..but I could go on about Angela Lansbury...how is she not a legend?

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#29re: Poll: Female Broadway Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 1:00pm

Reminds me of a story. An American was in London and went to the theatre with a friend who was British. Performing in the play was one of England's most esteemed actors, John Gielgud. At the conclusion of the show, the audience applauded heartily, however they remained seated. As they were leaving the theatre the American turned to his friend and asked why the audience didn't give Gielgud a standing ovation. "He was brilliant" argued the American. "Yes", replied the Brit, "but he's supposed to be"

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#30re: Poll: Female Broadway Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 1:04pm

OOOOOH. I like that...

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

#31Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 1:05pm

Ethel Merman
Mary Martin
Carol Channing
Gwen Verdon
Chita Rivera
and many more

I think when you say Broadway Legends , you should stick with people who have "stuck" with theatre. Those people who have labored the 8x a week to create something. Not because films or lps are less, but because they are Legends due to their hard work on Broadway.

Some of the women mentioned by muscle are legends, like Bette Midler and Bette Davis and Barbara Streisand but I don't consider them Broadway Legends. That's a pretty specific category.

Besides the obvious, why when someone mentions Bette Midler for the supposed dream cast of First Wives Club most of us think "that would be great but unlikely." It's because Bette finds her work away from the theatre. Now a real theatre legend, Chita Rivera, always returns to the theatre. Why? Because that's what she is. She is a performer for the theatre. You can argue that the offers for other venues never really poured in, and that would not be incorrect, but beside that fact(or because of it) she never stopped performing live.

Updated On: 8/20/05 at 01:05 PM

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#32Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 1:07pm

I second Chita Rivera...

Okay I see what you mean then by Broadway legends.

Jerry2
#33Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:11pm

It all true,but broadway legends like Chita, Merman or Gwen didn't made it anywhere else except broadway.They were too original for hollywood and weren't popular enough to sell millions of records or give 200 concerts a year like Liza or Streisand.Broadway was the only field where they could shine.
Others like Bette,Babs or Liza had much more choices-movies,t.v specials,records...They can still return to broadway any time (well Liza probably will have big insurance problems)and choose projects they like,when broadway legend like Chita couldn't find financial support for her new show for a long time.Imagin if Streisand will suddenly decide that she wants her own one woman show on Broadway? Will be any tickets left in ten minutes time? the same with Liza,or Bette.It's not about how many shows they did,it's about the legendary performances they gave (sometimes even in flop shows),performances which people remember for years and maybe even all their lives.I think they are legends,legends of stage and screen,just because almost all of us can name their broadway shows,which otherway would be forgotten many years ago....

#34Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:14pm

A Broadway legend has nothing to do with having financial backers who will put up your show if you decide to "play" on Broadway. Can we say Ms. Sommers.

And being a Broadway legend has less to do with the choices you "have" as opposed to the choices you've made during a lifetime.
Updated On: 8/20/05 at 02:14 PM

QueenAnne82 Profile Photo
QueenAnne82
#35Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:16pm

Julie, Barbara

And I have to add a here here for Bernadette! She is amazing.

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

I love Ana Gasteyer and Chicago Theater!!!

#36Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:19pm

You mean Harris, right?

brdwyman Profile Photo
brdwyman
#37Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:38pm

Angela Lansbury ... she was great in Sweeny Todd

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#38Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:54pm

Kim Stanley
Laurette Taylor
Julie Harris
Ethel Merman
Mary Martin

People like these aren't found anymore. They basicalyy dedicated their whole craft to the theater, and set the bar as high as it is.
They're untouchable, which is what makes them Legends.

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#39Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:57pm

UTA FU*KING HAGEN

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#40Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 2:58pm

I'm interested in who people think will be legends in 20 years..?

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#41Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:02pm

Isn't it Liza, JuDy, Barbra, and Bette?

This is my signature.

#42Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:03pm

NO

melissa errico fan
#43Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:04pm

These are names we shant forget.

Judy comes before Liza.

kjklo
#44Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:05pm

Impossible to say, since a lot of strange and unpredictable things can happen in 20 years, and also as mentioned, Broadway itself no longer provides those type of opportunities for the most part.

Still, I'll go out on a limb and say that Audra McDonald has the ability (imo).

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#45Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:06pm

Yes, I know..MEF. But I wanted to keep any sort of clarity the original post had. (Judy in the same place that "Julie" was)

This is my signature.

#46Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:07pm

Julie, hands down...

melissa errico fan
#47Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:09pm

LOL, Aigoo...That one went right over my head! Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends

Jerry2
#48Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:10pm

Yes,but who will remember ms Sommers show in a several months let alone years.On the other hand stupid "Act" or flop "Flora"
are still well known in the not so small circle of theater lovers.Great performances plus right career managment create legends.You can forty years work in the theater playing eight time a week year after year,be a great actor,get a great reviews
and nobody will remember your name the moment you got of stage.
But try to imagin "Funny girl" without Streisand or BFOZ without Hugh? They may never return to broadway again,but the stories about how great they were will live.
Although both of them would become stars even without broadway and would have great careers.
Peters and Lane are nice exeptions - their work in the movies and t.v helped introduce their talents to wide public.
So when they work on broadway more people buying tickets and
making their shows a hit.If twenty-thirty years later these people will remember the name of those shows few more very talented actors will be named Legends.

kjklo
#49Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:11pm

Wait, I'm missing something here...Judy Garland never performed in a Broadway show. Or is that the point of a joke I'm too dense to quite get?

Videos