Les Miz Movie?

jam_man
#25re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:30pm

He doesn't want to sell out? Sorry, Sir Cam Mac, but I think you're about two decades too late for that! re: Les Miz Movie?

That said, I love Les Miz, and think a well done Les Miz movie will be phenominal. Michael Kean as Thenardier, anyone?

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#26re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:37pm

I didn't particularly enjoy POTO the movie, but that was because I was expecting an adaptation of the stage musical. I think you can't change a show like they did and put it on film and expect it to be the same. Macintosh was saying he didn't want Les Mis literally adapted from the stage version, but there is too much risk of doing some really weird horrible adaptation if it isn't. I'd much rather have an adapted stage version than some weird, plot-hole-leaving "fresh" take on the show.

And Idina as fantine??? c'mon guys.

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#27re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 11:34pm

Hehehe Prisoner.

Here's some clips of Erika Christensen singing for anyone who hasn't heard her before.
Erika singing in Wuthering Heights: http://www.erikachristensen.com/projects/tv_wuthering_heights/vid_wh_01.rm
Erika singing "At Last": http://www.erikachristensen.com/interviews/2_tv_carson/cd01.rm

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 11:34 PM

rockfenris2005
#28re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 12:53am

I don't think Les Miserables as a movie will work. I mean, if they shoot the Complete Score (3 hours of singing?) won't people get tired and walk out? I mean, at least Phantom had DIALOGUE and Evita wasn't so long...

Btw. Wuthering Heights with Erika: is that song "The Future Ain't What it Used to Be"? Because that's a Jim Steinman song re: Les Miz Movie?

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 12:53 AM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#29re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:18pm

Not sure what the song is.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#30re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:27pm

It would certainly be less costly to simply film the actual stage show (with an all-star cast -- ala the 10th anniv concert), and it would make the fans of the show very happy

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

bwayondabrain
#31re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:33pm

"...Just hadn't heard anything about her singing talent"
Actually, Dakota sings in WAR OF THE WORLDS!!! In this part where shes scared, she starts singing "Hushabye Mountain" (its like the only part shes not screaming in the whole movie! :))
Not to mention Tom Cruise starts singing Beach Boys songs... lol

I would like a Les Miz Movie!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#32re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:34pm

Yeah, I forgot about that part, bway.

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#33re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:54pm

Erika actually looks like an Eponine too! I loved the movie Swimfan hahaha.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#34re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:55pm

I want to audition...

You know who I want to see take a crack at this? Peter Jackson. His films look spetacular yet never stray from the characters on hand. Updated On: 10/3/05 at 02:55 PM

Bwaybaby109
#35re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 5:35pm

i'm sorry but anyone but Colm Wilkinson for ValJean. I would love to see someone new at the role for once if they decide to take this to the big screen. I'm not too wild about it being made into a film but hopefully it can be done well. I also love the Liam Neilson version, but it would be interesting to see the musical made into a movie. Just as long as it stays true to the musical and I love to watch movie musicals as long as they stay in a "theatrical sense" which I think The Producers is shaping to be like.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

VivaBohemia Profile Photo
VivaBohemia
#36re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 5:46pm

Colm Wilkinson would make me happy.

*Krissy* **Support the use of illegal wood burning stoves. Get your own metal trash can today!**

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#37re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 5:59pm

My stupid and silly, but Hollywood-ified dream cast!
Valjean: Randal Keith - He's amazing as Valjean, and is *gasp* different from Colm! Though, I do love Colm.
Javert: Quast. He's not too old - dang it!
Fantine: Catherine Zeta-Jones - people will come see the movie because they saw her in Chicago.
Thénardier: Tim Curry
Madame T.: Barbara Streisand - wouldn't that just be fun!
Enjolras: Anthony Warlow's secret younger brother that nobody knows about....:P
Marius: Micheal Bublé - I think he would do the role well!
Eponine: People would definately go see it if Kelly Clarkson played the role!
Young Cosette: Yeah....Dakota gets the vote.
Gavroche: Um....Dakota? Just kidding!
Grantaire: Um....Mike Myers!
Cosette: Christy Carlson Romano - I'm just being crazy here!

Now THAT would be strange! I'd definately prefer a dream cast, and not a Hollywood one!

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#38re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:10pm

I kinda like your cast Mizzie.... wow... I never would have thought of some of those people.

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#39re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:22pm

Valjean: Sean Bean (...can sing)
Javert: Russell Crowe
Marius: Orlando Bloom (there I said it)
Cosette: Ramola Garari or Brycce Dallas Howard
Fantine: Kate Winlset
Enjorlas: Patrick Wilson or Christian Bale
Thenardier: Jim Broadbent or Tim Curry
Madame Thenardier: Julie Walters

Beergoggles
#40re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:40pm

Kate Winslet would be amazing as Fantine! I'd quite like to hear Kelly Clarkson sing Eponine! With Kristin gaining recognition and her range i reckon they could possibly cast her as Cosette... i don't really care who they cast as that part though, don't like the character!

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

VivaBohemia Profile Photo
VivaBohemia
#41re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:26pm

Orlando would be Claire Danes' counterpart in the Liam Neeson version of Les Mis. Absolutely terrifying.

That said, I do like Orlando Bloom, I just think Orli as Marius would be a DISASTER.

*Krissy* **Support the use of illegal wood burning stoves. Get your own metal trash can today!**

billy elliot
#42re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:28pm

In an interwiew in My Weekly Michael Ball states if the film does come along he would love to play JVJ and Cameron has already choosen him once for the Windsor Castle bash. I hope he gets it but whoever gets cast can't wait for the film!!
Nearly there now,only 5 more days to the 20th birthday!
Musicals Chat!!

"i can't really explain it"********************************************* "but he could be a star"******************************************* Be a BE*liever! Feel the Electricity

LostLeander
#43re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:46pm

And why couldn't Patrick be Marius?

Enroljas? Mmm...
Yeah.

This movie just doesn't seem like a good idea. It's an entirely sung through show, and we all know how awkward POTO looked on film.
We know us fine people would see it, but we don't exactly make up a lot of the population.

Complicated plot + 3 hours of music + 700 gushy romantic/sad/happy/pensive ballads?
Not exactly the feel good story of the year, either.
This needs to remain a stage show.

Forgive my cynicism, but I can't see this translating well to film, at all.

The French Revolution is SO 20th century anyway.
re: Les Miz Movie?

Oh yes, and Idina as Fantine?

No comment.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 07:46 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#44re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:04pm

There's just something about Melinda Clarke's face that makes me think "Fantine." I'd like to see her do something on BW. She has a lot of talent that she hasn't really had the chance to showcase.

Updated On: 10/3/05 at 08:04 PM

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#45re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/3/05 at 9:47pm

"Forgive my cynicism, but I can't see this translating well to film, at all."

It's okay, we'll just get you cast as Grantaire. :)

Just kidding....I do agree with you on some aspects though. I just don't see how it can be staged without....well....a stage! It won't translate well, picture wise. Also, I don't think that many people will go to see it. All of us Broadway folk would, I'm sure, but would somebody from small town America who's never seen a musical want to go down to the local movie theatre and pay five bucks to see a show about angry French people? Well....no.

However, that does depend on how the musical movies before Les Mis will turn out. If they're hits, people will want to see more movie musicals, and if they flop....well....why would anybody want to go see a genre they think they'll hate?

A film of the stage version would make me MUCH happier.

PhantomMag234
#46re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 11/5/05 at 6:46pm

Mizzie I love you cast but for Fantine they might want someone younger Cathrine is in her mid-thirties so they might want some one in their twenties like Emmy Rossum (at least she'll a part that's in her range).

gavrochegirl
#47re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 11/5/05 at 6:48pm

PhantomMag...my dear...

Emmy Rossum is not going to be cast in every single musical movie role that you can think of.

What the puck?!

PhantomMag234
#48re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 11/5/05 at 6:50pm

Not this again Gav my dear.

#49re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 11/5/05 at 6:51pm

A 2nd Les Miz movie thread - Locked, but has additional comments Updated On: 11/5/05 at 06:51 PM

Videos