Wicked Story Line

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#25re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/21/05 at 6:44pm

I meant Wicked the book references the original book as well, in addition to the original movie, better than the musical. Yes the fact that they destroyed Avaric and made him part of Fiyero was so obvious to me and annoys me to no end whenever I watch the musical, even though I love it dearly.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#26re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/21/05 at 6:47pm

I don't get why the slippers are copyright.
I mean .. maybe "Ruby slippers" in the context could be, but
couldn't they just make them red or crimson for the show?
It's not like "red shoes" could be copyright, that would be ridiculous.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

aegeusrocks
#27re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/21/05 at 6:52pm

Because the original Wizard of Oz book, had silver slippers, instead of ruby. They wanted to show off technicolor, so they made them ruby for the movie.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#28re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/21/05 at 7:09pm

Aegues, Fiyero is my fav character from Wicked but...that is because of the book version. He's actually interesting in the book. (Though DTL is my favorite song from Wicked interestingly enough)

aegeusrocks
#29re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/21/05 at 7:15pm

Agree completely SirLiir, on both counts.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#30re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/21/05 at 8:08pm

Meh. I like them all independently of one another. They're all different (the different incarnations of the story).

Wasn't Dorothy in a fair number of the books? She's really nothing more than average protagonist, lacking of personality in order to accomodate the reader's personal displacement of self in story. Judy Garland added a lot of personality to her.

One female protagonist who's always fascinated me is Alice. She is completely lacking in personality but that's part of what makes her so fascinating, how she takes everything in stride. They should get back on that opera for Kristin Chenoweth again. I'd go see it.

yr ronin,
joey

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#31re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:56am

I suppose I never realized that musical Fiyero was a mix or book Fiyero + book Averic is because Averic actually appears in the musical, even though he seems more of a servant to Fiyero. Very nice point.

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#32re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/22/05 at 12:15pm

Averic has a much larger role in the novel. If I rememeber, he's only in the musical for a few seconds..does he do any more than just wheel Fiyero onstage?

Jim Caruso: You know, you are doing Wicked.
Stephanie J Block: I am!
Jim: Is anyone coming to that old thing?

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#33re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/23/05 at 6:16pm

No, he doesn't. That's really all he does and it isn't much.

And I'm just guessing that the two girls who seem to constantly be around Galinda (DOS, classroom, DTL) are Shenshen and Pfannee (sp on both). I guess there would just be too many names floating around if they were named.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#34re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/24/05 at 1:16am

They had names in the San Fran version and in the original script. Elphaba's mother and father are refered to as Frex and Melina for example.

Avaric has no real part in the musical but in the novel, was a rich, snob party boy that slept with all the girls and generally pushed people into doing things they didnt want to do (ie dragging Boq to the Philosophy Club). I didnt like how they made Fiyero based on him. Fiyero was shy and introverted in the book. Again, more interesting.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#35re: Wicked Story Line
Posted: 12/24/05 at 11:35am

tap, DO YOUR RESEARCH, as others have mentioned. Ever heard of GOOGLE? Eicked is NOT based on the Wizard of Oz, but rather on 'Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West", by Gregory Maguire

The link will take you to reviews of the book. That is what the musical is loosely based on.

Comparing the musical to the Wizard of Oz is like comparing Italian Opera to the life cycle of a tapeworm.....you just can't

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060987103/102-3656575-2160129?v=glance&n=283155

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 12/24/05 at 11:35 AM

Videos