News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

PIPPIN Revival is happening...- Page 2

PIPPIN Revival is happening...

RentBoy86
#25One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 8:05pm

You guys should read "from assissians to west side story" by Scott Miller, he's got a big blurb in there about Pippin - got me really interested in the show, but I'll hold off until I see the tour/ hear the new cast album.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#26One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 9:48pm

I just love this show. I worked on it, and played second keys for it, and to say that the score needs to be re-written is beyond me. Compared to a lot that's on Broadway now -- all bland, fluff, and un-distinuished -- it's quite a good score.

To boot, it's pretty damn topical. It raises a lot of questions about war -- that really resounded as we started to invade Iraq, when I did it. The whole war sequence and it's impact really made me think.

~Sam

futurewinnerbud
#27One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 9:59pm

That ending sounds SO MUCH BETTER

true I mean, the original ending is more "real", but I always find that Pippin's "ta-da" ending is so anti-climatic that the audience feels slightly jibbed. That ending with Theo sounds so much more satisfactory...

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#28One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 10:10pm

Don't get too excited about endings just because they are a little shocking. The ending with Theo walking into the fire is just so random. I like the idea of the players turning on to him and trying to entice him like they did Pippin, but it's so odd to have Theo kill himself instead of Pippin.

I like Pippin. Not as much as I did when I was younger, but it's still a nice enjoyable show.

TheaterMonkey, I completely disagree with you. There are lots of shows playing on Broadway/that recently have played on Broadway that have much better scores than Pippin, including that bland momma of blandness by the same composer, Wicked. The jukebox musicals aside. Pippin is filled with mildly amusing pseudo seventies rock numbers that remind me of that song that goes "If a picture paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you?" Schwartz may have been trying to top that song all his career ;P I think Ben Vereen brings his music to life, and he gets the best songs.

As for how topical it is, I dunno if I'm with you there. Unless you think that "War is bad and violent" is a deep and searching message (sadly, for some people, it is...). I love the talking head thing though.

Pippin raises some good ideas, but fails to explore any of them because it's not that sort of show.

PS I've heard that somewhere online there's a long article on Pippin by Bob Fosse. Anybody have a link to it?

yr ronin,
joey

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#29One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 10:35pm

I actually really like the ending with the cast taking everything down at the end. The audience loved it and the moment got applause at times. If anything, I would change Pippin's last line - it ruins the moment.

tourboi
#30One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 11:10pm

Amen to a revival!

Re: the new ending...it started with the Papermill production with Jack Noseworthy, I believe. And I love this ending!

As for casting...yes, lets PLEASE have Michael Arden back! His Pippin is fantastic! As for Berthe, I agree that Liza would be fun! I thought Charles Busch played the part at the benefit, no? He'd be inspired in the revival. I'd pay whatever ammount to see him do the role!

Overthemoon6 Profile Photo
Overthemoon6
#31One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 11:13pm

I don't have this album, and the only song I know is Magic To Do. Is it a good choice to add to my collection?

And then, do you know Monseiur Marius, I believe I was a little in love with you.
♥♥♥

andyf
#32One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/1/06 at 11:19pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the reworked ending that's been mentioned was premiered when Papermill did the show way back when.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#33One of my fave shows and a trip back in time.
Posted: 2/2/06 at 12:08am

If this does happen, do you guys thik it would come to San Diego or Los Angeles. I am dying to see this.

Videos