pixeltracker

LESTAT - The New Carrie!- Page 2

LESTAT - The New Carrie!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#25re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:37pm

So you say. Others obviously say different.

I want it to be a good show, and I can only hope that's improved. Broadway certainly doesn't need bad shows. But surely you've seen shows and actors that in your opinion are simply beyond help...and that's all I'm saying here. And if you're reading other threads about Lestat, you have to know that I'm not alone in my opinion.

If anything, I'm jealous of you that you enjoyed Hugh and the show in general. I wish I had. Believe me!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#26re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:42pm

If you haven't seen the show in New York, you can't really comment.

Yes, we can. It's not like people don't talk about Light in the Piazza in Chicago or Spelling Bee off Broadway.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 02:42 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#27re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:45pm

Oh wow- Flop collecters unite! The vampire won't live forever.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#28re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:46pm

I was gonna say, er, yes, we can comment. There are plenty of people commenting who haven't seen any version of the show; at least those of us who saw it in SF have something solid to comment upon.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#29re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:46pm

What I meant is that you can't comment with any credibility.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#30re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:48pm

If you say so.

No, I cannot comment on what is on the stage right now in NY. But I can comment on things that I thought were deeply flawed in SF, and, oh, I don't know, exchange thoughts with people who have seen the NY version.

I wasn't aware of the "credibility law" on message boards. I think a lot of people ought to stop posting before the "credibility police" come get them re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#31re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:53pm

From what I have heard the SF run is pretty darn close to the NYC run, and I saw the SF show so I feel I qualified to comment. It needs work. Nuff Said.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

LizzieCurry
#32re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:53pm

What I meant is that you can't comment with any credibility

Regarding the current state of the show, sure. But we know what we're talking about when we talk about what WE saw in SF. No different from the fact that people who saw the show in NY can speak of what they saw.

I know those who didn't see it in SF won't know what I'm talking about if I say "pain and pain and pain." re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

WaltSummersPI
#33re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 2:54pm

I didn't say it doesn't need work. I said it was a good piece of theatre.

jimnysf
#34re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:03pm

If you think it's good theatre, I'm afraid you are in the minority. Check out the ATC comments. They are not good. I saw the show in SF. Sir Elton did not rewrite the score for NY so if it was awful in SF, I have no doubt it is still awful in NY.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

LizzieCurry
#35re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:04pm

Or do a search on blogsearchengine.com. You'll find some hysterical pans there throughout December and January.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#36re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:09pm

This sounds like Carrie- either you love it to death or hate it beyond belief, and the lovers are in the small portion

WaltSummersPI
#37re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:11pm

Again, nothing that was said in January or December is relevant anymore. In my opinion.

And we all seem to forget that ATC and BWW are this tiny microcosm of theatre fans. The crowd who has actually SEEN the show in New York seemed to like it quite a bit.

LizzieCurry
#38re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

I don't think it's quite like that. I thought it was pretty terrible, but I never hated it. Several friends who saw it in SF are in the same boat.

Mother's Younger Brother
#39re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

By the way, WaltSummersPI...I'm guessing from your first post in this thread that you had not seen the show in SF, in which case "you really can't comment" on the changes in NY, can you?

Oh well...if you think this is "good theatre," then I guess you can't really comment with any credibility either.
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 03:11 PM

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#40re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:12pm

Or you love it because it's hysterically bad... not that I know anyone like that. re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

I really did hope they could turn this around (and I suppose there is still a chance), as the cast is quite talented. But there just wasn't a journey, a solid plot, and that doesn't really sound like it has changed.

WaltSummersPI
#41re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:24pm

I was third row center on Saturday night, MYB, two seats down from Alice Cooper, actually. :) If you've read any of the Lestat threads, I plastered that fact pretty much everyone.

Mother's Younger Brother
#42re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:32pm

Interesting. I was sitting directly above Bruce Vilanch -- in SAN FRANCISCO, which is where I asked if you'd seen the show. If you haven't seen the show in SF, how can you possibly comment on the changes in NY???

I had stopped reading the Lestat threads because nothing new was being said. I joined this one to read about and discuss the NY production, about which I'm very curious. I never claimed to have seen it in NY, or that my opinions were based on the Broadway preview performances. Everything I said, like many other people in this thread, was in the context of SF. I'm not quite sure why you're picking on me here, but whatever makes you feel better.

Updated On: 3/27/06 at 03:32 PM

jimmycurry01
#43re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:32pm

"Regarding the current state of the show, sure. But we know what we're talking about when we talk about what WE saw in SF. No different from the fact that people who saw the show in NY can speak of what they saw."

I completely agree with you Lizzie, and I think the comparisons between the two different productions are very interesting and help explore the creative process, or lack there of, that went into, and continues going into Lestat. I have not seen this show yet, but I really want it to be good, but have a feeling it will not. The reason may be that it is simply a bad show or that some of the bad rap from SF has followed it to NY, and once a bad rep has been earned it is hard to get rid of it again. Still, I can't wait to see it.

jackson992
#44re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:33pm

I just hope it turns out as well as Carrie did. Yes I love Carrie, in fact am obsessed with it. And no I don't care how a show does financially:)

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#45re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:45pm

Does the impending collectibility make Jack Noseworthy feel out of eBay luck for leaving the show in San Francisco?
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 03:45 PM

LizzieCurry
#46re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:48pm

I can attest that it's made me slightly richer. Thanks, Jack!

jarretSF Profile Photo
jarretSF
#47re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 6:24pm

This thread is hysterical. Same as when it was here in SF. I saw an early preview which was DREADFUL. And of course theres the few who love it, because it's so dark and gothic. Where's LilBWay Lady in this thread? I miss her rants.

Some people come into our lives and quietly go, others stay a while, and leave footprints on our heart, and we are never the same.

LizzieCurry
#48re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 6:28pm

Where's LilBWay Lady in this thread?

Gettin' drinks with Jack Noseworthy?

Mother's Younger Brother
#49re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/27/06 at 6:30pm

Lucky b*tch.