pixeltracker

best Tony acceptance speech- Page 2

best Tony acceptance speech

Tirso de Molina
#25re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 12:51pm

Richard Griffiths.

What can I say? I am SO not a fan of "You like me! You really like me!" acceptance speeches, and to me it's uncomfortably intimate when performers verbalize their deepest emotional issues, like their difficult childhoods or their strained relationships with their parents, in front of 6000 live spectators and lord knows how many more on television.

Actually, my all-time favorite award acceptance was Joe Pesci's at the Oscars: "It's my honor", he said, and then walked offstage.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

Marguerite Chauvelin
#26re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 3:54pm

John Doyle, Beth Leavel (she was hilarious), and Christian Hoff (even if I wanted Manoel or Jim Dale to win).

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#27re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:54pm

Beath Leavel, with Christian Hoff, and then Cynthia Nixon runners up.

I might be one of the few who did not like LaChanze's at all. It seemed it was nothing but "I won!" and "I got a trophy!"

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#28re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:58pm

Christian Hoff's was amazing. I was also touched by John Doyle's speech.

John Lloyd Young's speech seemed forced and contrived. I wasn't sure what he was going for. I love his work in Jersey Boys and I think he should have won and glad he did but his speech kind of put me off.

#29re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 5:01pm

Beth L's for sheer exuberance and charm. She sparkles!

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#30re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 10/15/06 at 5:50pm

BETH LEAVEL!

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#31re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 10/15/06 at 5:56pm

Beth Leavel! I also loved LaChanze's, but I was suprised that she didn't thank her husband.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Julian2
#32re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 10/15/06 at 6:11pm

" . . . and of course LaChanze, I love when the younger/newer nominees win and are soo excited . . ."

You do know she's not at all a newcomer right? Unless you were talking about JLY and MJW.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Videos