best Tony acceptance speech

sofiestar93 Profile Photo
sofiestar93
#0best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 3:49pm

What do you think was the best 2006 Tony acceptance speech? I really liked LaChanze's...

Pretty is what changes. What the eye arranges is what is beautiful.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 4:01pm

John Lloyd Young
Christian Hoff

Bob Crowley....I want to bash that mother f-ers head in.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

i<3jerseyboys Profile Photo
i<3jerseyboys
#2re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 4:02pm

i loved the speech christian hoff gave,i was extremley happy that he won!
Updated On: 6/14/06 at 04:02 PM

Fredisetgo Profile Photo
Fredisetgo
#3re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 4:08pm

um this has nothing to do with the speeches but i LOVEEEEEED when James Earl Jones came on and Cynthia nixon did their monologues! THat was really cool...

but yeah speeches , John Lloyd Young's was really sweet
and of course LaChanze, I love when the younger/newer nominees win and are soo excited... like Marissa Jarret Winokur, that was cute

OH! It's time to start livin! Time to take a little from the world we're given! Time to take time, 'cause spring will turn to fall... In just no time at all!

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#4re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 4:20pm

Christian Hoff's speech was named best speech by the atlanta journal constitution,

I really like John and Christian's.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#5re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 4:28pm

The fact that John didn't mention the production he won for once kinda put me off.

I thought Hoff's was beautiful however.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#6re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 4:36pm

boxers -- I can't believe you didn't mention Beth Leavel. I thought hers was fun, fresh and almost sponatenous.

". . . POP . . ."

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#7re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:22pm

yeah, Beth's was awesome!!!

"I thank life!" that was cool!

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#8re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:25pm

Clearly, Beth was hysterical. "OVERWHELMED!" But I was so moved by Christian she was kinda outshined.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#9re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:25pm

I could only get the webcast of the first hour so I don't know what most of the speeches were like, but Sarah Jones's was awesome. :)

broadwayfan12 Profile Photo
broadwayfan12
#10re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:26pm

i loved LaChanze's and Beth's was awesome!

Sierra Boggess is made of awesome!

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#11re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:29pm

I didn't want him to win, but Christian Hoff gave a great speach which made me happy for him!

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#12re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:32pm

I liked Christian Hoff's speech.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#13re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:37pm

John Lloyd and Christian both followed the advice that they got at the Tony Luncheon. Mano speaks about this in the video that is on BWW - that they were encouraged to speak from the heart rather than just spout out a bunch of names.

John Lloyd wrote a very nice blog entry thanking a LOT of people, and also stated a similar list of people in the video that is currently the top story on the site.

The video also features comments from his mom, sister and father...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#14re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:50pm

BETH LEAVEL, CHRISTIAN HOFF, & espcially CYNTHIA NIXON'S speach all to me were heartfelt and truly genuine. Also enjoyed the Producer of JB's speech that included thanking and appriciating all the shows this year.

JLY speech put me off the the enth degree - but thats just me.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#15re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:58pm

Definitely Beth Leavel. You could just sense the joy she was feeling.

Christian Hoff's win made me squee for joy, and his speech brought a tear to my eye. His reaction was quite genuine, and I liked that. Great speech.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#16re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 7:41pm

Most moving: Christian Hoff (made me teary)
Best delivery and eloquence: Cynthia Nixon!!!!

blueroses
#17re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 7:51pm

IMO, definitely Christian Hoff! It was a wonderful surprise, and he was genuinely humbled and overwhelmed.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#18re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:11pm

Hoff's speech was phoney and I didn't like it.
I found John Doyle's speech very heartfelt and perhaps the best of the evening.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:11pm

Hoff's speech was phoney and I didn't like it.
I found John Doyle's speech very heartfelt and perhaps the best of the evening.

citrustwist
#20re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:28pm

Definitely Christian Hoff! You could tell that he really wasn't expecting to win by the look on his face when his named was called, and then overwhelming emotion in his voice as soon as he started talking. Even as he started to calm himself down, his entire speech was amazing and heartfelt and genuinely touching, just because he was THAT happy to win (and deservedly so!). Now I think he's even MORE amazing.

freshasadaisy
#21re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 2:51am

Beth Leavel, hands down - it wasn't pre-meditated or over-rehearsed. It was spontaneous and joyful and beautiful. **Plus she is an alumni of my school, so I was rooting for her all the way!**

But, was I the only one who found JLY's speech VERY strange? I'm sure he was trying to make a heartfelt point but I was LOST and more than a little uncomfortable.

IheartJ-TAGS Profile Photo
IheartJ-TAGS
#22re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 2:53am

Christian Hoff

quintia
#23re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 8:27am

Christian Hoff, John Doyle, and Beth Leavel

"I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, but above all things, I believe in love."- Moulin Rouge

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#24re: best Tony acceptance speech
Posted: 6/15/06 at 9:11am

Christian Hoff's--beautiful.

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

Videos