pixeltracker

A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)- Page 2

A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#25re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:41pm

That review might just make me see it - thank you!

NJgirl
#26re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:56pm

I shared alot of the same thoughts that you did Without A Trace. And pennywises- the men outstanding; women uneven comment.
For someone who had never seen the original, but had seen only a regional production of the show until last week...I was completely enthralled watching the show and this cast. It was quite possibly one of the best nights in theater I've been to. I think this revival will touch a whole new generation of theater goers who did not get a chance to see the original run.

And it's exactly like someone said...seeing a revival 15 years from now of LITP having seen the original, may not be as magical.
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 04:56 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:26pm

Fantastic fantastic review. Thank you.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#28re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:39pm

Great review, WAT.

I saw the show Wednesday night, and being a newbie myself (my sole exposure to the show was listening them play the songs on Sirius' Broadway Best channel), I was too never too sure I got the whole big deal about it.

When I finished watching the show the other night, my very first thought was, "God, I think I got it." Put all together, the show made me laugh, made me cry, made me want to get up and give them all a big hug.

Yes, I did have quibbles. I was in the front row, so I couldn't tell how the instruments sounded in the house, but the score didn't feel as "big" as it should've been. Some of it sounded synthesized, and I felt it hurt the show a bit. (Again, all I could tell was from a speaker in my face.)

The dancing was absolutely amazing. I walked in going, "why does it have to be exactly the same?" I realized that, aside from Cassie's number, it's so exhilirating to watch. Yes it feels dated at times, but compared to some of the lackluster choreography on Broadway nowadays, I can see why Bennett's work was so respected left the way it was. But for Cassie's number, watching Charlotte dance, I felt the same way I felt watching her in Sweet Charity her first week, doing the "broken foot Christina" choreography - I just wanted her to break free and dance the way we all know she can really do it. I'm sure there's a way to meld the two whilst in previews.

Otherwise, the ensemble in fantastic. Disagreed with WAT about Jessica Lee Goldyn though, I thought Val was terribly charming and I loved Dance Ten, Looks Three. I will be a dissenting voice that "Nothing" didn't really work well for me, although I was charmed by Natalie Cortez as the show went along.

Probably the only part where I felt the age of the show was in the script. For the most part, it worked, but there were parts were the charm and/or sentiment felt forced, particularly the dialogue before What I Did For Love. It's not to say it didn't still ring true or touch you, but the creakiness began to show. But the moments were rare, and the ones that counted - Paul's monologue, the Zach/Cassie confrontation - were powerful.

What I loved the most was the cast that I loved in other shows got the chance to be centre stage, like Ken Alan, Michael Paternostro, Jeffrey Schecter, Paul McGill and Brad Anderson, and prove they could do more than just dance.

Deidre Goodwin was just wonderful as Sheila, hitting all the lines without going over the top with the sarcasm, and doing a beautiful job with At the Ballet (I knew she could dance, but before now, I was never too sure she could sing really well.)

Mara Davi, Yuka Takara and Chryssie Whitehead were funny and charming as well. Tyler Hanes gets a special nod because a) he's friggin' hot and the costume does wonders and b)he continues to prove he is a star performer. James T Lane does as well, because I've never heard of this guy at all, and he's such a standout.

Jason Tam does a fantastic job as Paul. It would be so easy to make his monologue melodramatic, but his ability to hold it in so long that made it such a beautiful moment. He was standing in front of me on the line, so I got to watch him evolve during the night, and it was really done beautifully.

Charlotte is wonderful as per usual, aside from my comments above, she shines brightly, and watching her argument with Zach, watching her pour her heart out, felt so real, it's striking. Watching her try to fit into the line broke my heart.

Anyway, I can totally understand why those familiar with the work would have concerns, and I certainly have my little issues, but taken as a whole, I really fell in love with the show, and I'm already looking into when I can see it again. I can see how it can feel like a museum piece, but what's wrong with visiting a musuem every now and then?

(I started out just wanting to agree with WAT, but I just started blathering on...)

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Coolkid123
#29re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:04pm

I personally think that shows such as A Chorus Line should not be revived or on Broadway in the first place. Theater is not place where controversial issues should be expressed (Tits and Ass, Pauls Monologue), keep em in the newspaper. Broadway should be a place where everyone can just have a good time. What happened to shows like 42nd Street and Guys and Dolls? Those are the kind of shows that should be on Broadway. Not shows like RENT and Les Misarables, which are so depressing that in the end nobody likes them.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#30re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:22pm

Sorry "CoolKid", you're welcome to your opinions, but there's nothing cool about your comment. What would you want to see on Broadway if everything was simple and whitewashed? Without tension there is no drama; no theatre.

Either you're 12 or 100, but terribly misguided nonetheless...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

everythingtaboo
#31re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:22pm

Then why are you bothering to be so negative? Why don't you write about the shows you do like? Otherwise, I think most people will feel about you how you feel about Les Mis and Rent.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Coolkid123
#32re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:24pm

I would write about shows I like but there are no threads on them right now.

everythingtaboo
#33re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:26pm

Then make up your own, kiddo. Contribute in a constructive manner.

Coolkid123
#34re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:29pm

Kiddo? I am a lot older than a kiddo.

I don't want to make a whole thread just saying "I really like A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, do you?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#35re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:34pm

Make a thread, and stop bugging everyone else.

I'm really excited to see ACL, and this review only mad even more so. Thanks for posting!

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Coolkid123
#36re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:37pm

No and I am sorry I am bugging you my just saying my thoughts on an "OPEN" message board.

Julian2
#37re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:47pm

Coolkid, you are entitled to post your opinion in a open message board on any thread as long as its on topic.

That said . . .

It is people like you who would atttempt to destroy a great art form so many others respect, admire, and wish to contribute to. I respect you and the right to your opinions, BUT, as to this particular opinion, I have no respect, and as a matter of fact, am appalled and disgusted.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 08:47 PM

Coolkid123
#38re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:48pm

Please elaborate.

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#39re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:06pm

To veer away from coolkids'... dare I call it cynicism? I very much enjoyed the original review, and all after it. Though I disagree with many points of these, I very much agree with the fact that Diedre Goodwin is brilliant as Shelia, and everythingtaboo’s comment on the sound of the music. It might be that I’m set in my ways, but I couldn’t stand the new orchestrations. I’d prefer to have the terrible movie ones than the ones now. It seems they’re trying to give ACL a more pop sound, which it really doesn’t need. It’s a powerful theater score, and I dislike how they’re trying to make it more accessible to the MTV generation. What is theater music should stay theater music, and what is rock should stay rock.

I couldn’t stand Charlotte D’Amboise. She danced just as well as everyone else in the company, I don’t like her voice, and she simply can’t act. Michael Beresse works around this to create his Zach, which works very well. Another thing I didn’t like (have to disagree with TAM) Chryssie Whitehead as Kristine. She makes Kristine too smart. Kristine is a ditz, that’s why she needs her husband to finish her sentences.

Two things though, that are ticking me off beyond belief.
A. The way they’re marketing the show
A Chorus Line is NOT the first American Idol. It is NOT the first reality show. Yes, it brings you into their word – THAT’S THEATER. Yes, it’s an audition. But at it’s heart, it’s about a bunch of dancers, their passion, and what they’ll do to fulfill it. It’s about being on the line. It’s about making it, about desperation vs. wanting something, not about Simon Cowell entertaining tweens all over the country and making millions of dollars. A Chorus Line is about a bunch of dancers and Michael Bennett sitting in that studio all night, telling their stories. IT IS NOT A REALITY TV SHOW.

B. The voices they cast
They cast pop singers. One of the most interesting things about the original cast, and many other ones, is that they’re Broadway singers singing pop songs. It sounds really really great. The casts’ voices are all pop voices. I don’t know if I like it as much.

But I should end it on highlights- Diedre Goodwin, Jason Tam as Paul (this boy blew me away), Natalie Cortez as Diana, and Mara Davi and Alison Porter as Maggie and Bebe.

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#40re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:11pm

It’s a powerful theater score, and I dislike how they’re trying to make it more accessible to the MTV generation. What is theater music should stay theater music, and what is rock should stay rock.

I have to agree with you there. I guess, though, that they figure this would make it sell better. Who knows? Kind of sad to hear that, though.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#41re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:57pm

*sigh* This review makes me so happy.

From what I can tell, I agree about Jessica Lee Goldyn. Even thought I still think she is cute as a button! I've seen video clips on TV of her "Dance: Ten; Looks: Three" and I kept saying to myself, 'God, please tell me that was an off-night.' because it really seemed unoriginal and a tad boring, which is so unfortunate because I really wanted to like her! Also, even though it's not a big point, but the fact that she dropped her hat on Good Morning America. But anyways.

Also, is it just me or does Chryssie Whitehead seem to break out of character a lot? I don't care either way, I love her to DEATH. She reminds me soo much of me. Haha.

everythingtaboo
#42re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 11:03pm

SondheimGeek, are they really trying to market this as American Idol? Mind you, I haven't really seen the publicity machine for this, but the only time I heard it mentioned as such was on Nightline. It seemed bizarre at the time to say, but I guess it's they figure it's an easy shortcut for people to make it relate to them. Is it right, definitely not, because where AI is about becoming a star, ACL is about just getting a job. And if they are marketing it as such, that's a real shame.

As for the casting, I think Charlotte will always be a point of disagreement, seems to have been from the beginning. I guess what I liked about her doing it is that I never really felt it was acting, whereas with some of the other cast, particularly some of the women, I felt I saw the process too much.

I'm not sure I get the whole pop voices thing. I mean, could it just be that this generation of singers, since they grew up on pop music, will have a much different effect on those that grew up primarily on Broadway and the pure vocalists of the time? I personally don't hear a difference, but again, I'm new to ACL.

Paris, I noticed the hat drop too on GMA. Oh well, maybe the wind knocked it away - Times Square is always windy! But I thought she was cute, on her own terms. Maybe because she was standing in front of me, I had a different perspective on those sitting further back.

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#43re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:01am

Taboo - Every single news show that has covered it, everything I've ever read or seen about this production is that it's the first American Idol. As opposed as I am to reality TV, this really went over the line. If that’s the only thing that they would be able to relate it to, they’re not going to understand it anyway. Ah, well, all they want is to get the a$$es in the seats…

Again, I’ve never liked Charlotte, and was slightly disappointed with her casting, but I was trying to go into the theater with no expectations. It seems she began to tear Cassie’s complex character limb from limb… but as you think it, Cassie isn’t the most gigantic role. It’s only as large as it is because of Donna Mckechnie , and what she made the role herself (with absurd amounts of help from Michael Bennett). It’s just as large as Diana.

I heard a gigantic difference, but there are two breeds of singer in the Broadway world, Broadway singers, and pop singers. Today, most are pop belters – which is what the cast of ACL is.

Oh, I saw the hat too!

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

queenbee2
#44re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:42am

Personally I could not be happier that this show is getting positive buzz. I saw it back in the day, and am ready for another dose. I'm going to try to see it just after opening. Here's to another great run for Chorus Line. I can't wait.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#45re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/24/06 at 1:19am

Very Nice job WAT.
It's not surprising that many of the things that moved you were the things michael B. brought to this Masterwork.
The 8 or 9 times I saw the original I always cried at Paul's section.
It's not just a story of a Gay Man coming out but anyone who has a secret and how hard it is to give up some of yourself.
And that is exactly what i think Mr. B wanted to Show.
I will probably tear up as soon as I hear:
"a five six seven eight!"
So here's a Question:
Sounds like Jason will be TONY nominated, how many have won TONY's for parts that already won TONYS?

TT
#46re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/24/06 at 1:37am

Hi, All...check out TERRITSTAR.BROADWAYWORLD.COM if you want to compare the Broadway previews so far to the San Francisco tryout...

everythingtaboo
#47re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/24/06 at 1:50am

TT, nice notes in your blog. I hate to admit it, but I do agree about Michael Berresse. Notice I didn't mention him in my review earlier...it's because this very good performer is somehow coming off extremely weak in this show. I don't know what it is, but I wasn't feeling him at all. Maybe that's why I liked Charlotte's moment against him, because she was coming off better than Michael.

Trish2
#48re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/24/06 at 8:02am

Ah, i wouldnt be so quick to hand out the TONY yet. There are MANY shows to open with much more tlaented and seasoned veterans. While I'm sure this young man did a fine job, it is not as earth-shattering as it was in 1976. I think this entire show will escape the TONY noms( unless in best revival category) by the time they come around. Just too many "better" revivals as well as new shows coming along.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#49re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/25/06 at 10:00am

My signed playbill from Friday evening...

re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

Videos