pixeltracker

A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#0A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 3:13am

I would like to preface this review by saying that tonight was the first time I had ever seen A CHORUS LINE. I have owned the OBCR for over eight years and have it memorized, but I knew nothing of the book and how the songs were woven in. I have also never seen the movie. That being said, this was one of the most exciting nights of theater I have ever been a part of.

SPOILERS

The theater, of course, was completely sold out. As I waited eagerly for the show to begin, I just had a feeling this was going to be a night to remember. As soon as the show began, the audience went crazy with applause...just seeing the dancers on stage in the opening formation...it was magical.

The ensemble as a whole was perfect. The dance sequences during the audition were spot on and the necessary actors stood out when they were supposed to (ex: when some of them messed up the dance steps, or when Sheila got pissed off when another dancer upstaged her). They all worked extremely well as a group. The choreography was some of the best I've ever seen in my life...just perfect. The sets: well there really was no set besides a white line and some mirrors, but for this show, it worked! The costumes: again, really no costumes to speak of, except for the gold ones at the end, but elaborate costumes are not what this show calls for. Loved Charlotte's red dress though. She looked great! As did Deidre. The lighting was excellent. I loved the use of spotlights, dim lighting on the ensemble when others were supposed to be in the foreground and the use of lighting while the mirrors were in use.

I'm glad that the creative team did not update the show. It is still set in 1975. The lines with Robert Goulet, Troy Donahue and other references like that were all still in, which I was happy to see.

There are so many ensemble members in the cast, so I'm not going to mention all of them, but just the ones that stood out in my mind. Please forgive me if I forget any of your favorites.

Really enjoyed Jeffery Schecter as Mike. His "I Can Do That" was excellent and got tons of applause. I had no idea he was such a great dancer (this choreography was more difficult that in THE PAJAMA GAME, so he got to show off his skills more here). Really enjoyed Mara Davi as Maggie and Alisan Porter as Bebe during "At The Ballet." Tony Yazbeck as Al was a real pleasure to look at on stage...those gorgeous arms and cute green TKTS t-shirt! It was so adorable when he was finishing Kristine's sentences for her. Chryssie Whitehead as Kristine was fabulous. LOVED her "Sing!" and felt she was very quirky and definitely left an impression on me. Tyler Hanes as Larry was another one with a gorgeous body. He did a great job as Zach's assistant choreographer and is a fantastic dancer. Also wanted to mention Heather Parcells as Judy, who had some standout moments and Yuka Takara as Connie, who was just adorable.

Jason Tam as Paul. I had heard about "the speech" and knew it had something to do with him being gay, but didn't know exactly what it was going to be about. In addition to being a great dancer, Jason did a wonderful job with the speech. It was incredibly moving and he was crying on stage towards the end of it, which made me tear up as well. I don't know how he has the strength to do that speech eight times a week, but good for him. Was also completely shocked when **SPOILER** he injures himself while auditioning and doesn't get the job. He clearly was going to be one of the four men picked...so sad. **END SPOILER** Really wonderful job.

Jessica Lee Goldyn as Val was probably the weakest member of the ensemble, IMO. She was good, but "Dance Ten Looks Three" kind of fell flat at times. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just didn't seem to have the impact that I think it should have. Still, she did a good job and thought it was so cute how she squeezed another guy's butt when she went back in line at the end of her song. Also liked when she said something along the lines of "I'm available" when another ensemble member said he wanted to get into directing.

Natalie Cortez as Diana was excellent. "Nothing" was incredible tonight. She was in full voice and blew it out of the park and the audience went nuts. Also, "What I Did For Love" gave me chills. I thought she was wonderful.

Deidre Goodwin as Sheila was the standout of the night. She was absolutely fabulous. Perfectly cast. A total diva bitch and she did it so well. I loved the way she carried herself, loved how she gave the stare-down to someone who upstaged her and loved her part of "At The Ballet." When Deidre is on stage, you can't help but look at her, even when she is not the main focus...a true star!

Michael Beresse as Zach. Definitely thought he was mean enough, despite the negative comments I had read about his portrayal. He was very commanding of the stage, told the dancers what to do and they felt intimidated by him (as they should be since he was the one casting the show). He looks great and dances extremely well. I enjoyed when he went on stage to comfort Paul after his speech, loved how he seemed to really care after **SPOILER** Paul's injury. **END SPOILER** I also liked his scene with Charlotte about their past relationship. Very well done.

Charlotte d'Amboise as Cassie was also perfectly cast. As has been said before, this role is her life! "Music and the Mirror" got tons and tons of well-deserved applause. Charlotte's dancing is so refined and so perfect. Despite hearing negative comments about the "Music and the Mirror" choreography, I really enjoyed it (maybe because I've never seen the original). She was in full voice, danced perfectly and her acting was excellent in the scene before "Music and the Mirror" and in the scene with Zach. She was born to play this role. Really fantastic.

So overall, it was an unforgettable night for me. This is definitely, without question, the best show on Broadway right now and possibly the best show I've ever seen. I must have gotten chills at least 15-20 times and teared up a bunch of times as well. It makes you think. It makes you feel. Just a wonderful story with excellent music interwoven in the piece. It is like a work of art and the entire audience was captivated tonight.

At the stage door, the entire cast was a delight to meet. They were all thrilled to hear such positive comments about the show was were more than happy to sign and take pictures with anyone who asked.

Would recommend this show to anyone and everyone. Really looking forward to seeing it again...and though there are no discount codes right now, paying full price is worth every single penny. Go see A CHORUS LINE. You will not regret it.

Updated On: 9/23/06 at 03:13 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#1re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 3:30am

Thank you for this review! re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06) You put a lot of thought and time into it. I get to see in October 26th re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

MargoChanning
#2re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 3:50am

Nice job with the review. I must say that I'm very heartened that the show had such a strong impact on someone who'd never seen it before and that some of the weaknesses of this production that I and other "veterans" of the show have pointed out didn't matter to you at all. If it doesn't quite match the original in some ways, I hope that it'll nevertheless make a strong impression on this generation of theatregoers.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#3re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:28am

The pattern I see emerging is that those who never saw the original production are thrilled with this revival while those who did see it feel that "something" is missing.

I fall into the latter category, but I think it's wonderful that so many people, like WAT, are enthusiastic in their responses.

I have been rereading the many threads and posts about the show and find it fascinating that some people adored one actor while others found the same actor weak. There is pretty much no consistency of opinion. We all have our "standouts" and "disappointments"...sometimes they coincide; other times they conflict.

Here is my overall opinion: In 1975, every single performance, every single line, every single second was enthralling. Last night, at times, I was bored. (Sorry!!!)

I thought the men were all fabulous dancers. They were also utterly believable in their characterizations. I was most worried about Paul's monologue because I feared that it might seem anachronistic, but Jason Tam pulled it off beautifully. His pain and vulnerability were palpable. (BTW, Brad Alan = Perfection)

The women were...uneven. Loved Charlotte, despite what many on the board have said. Thought Natalie Cortez was overly spunky while managing to be dull (!). The two sour notes she hit at the beginning of "What I Did for Love" made me squirm. Jessica Lee Goldyn is a very good dancer, but her Val is more caricature than flesh and blood.

"At the Ballet" brought tears to my eyes (but, as one of my dearest friends has pointed out: "Oh, you cry at commercials!") For me, it came closest to capturing the heart of the original Broadway production...and "heart" is, as so many other posters have said, what seems to be lacking in this revival.

My question is: Would it be possible for any revival of A Chorus Line to stir in us what the original did?

P.S. Basically unrelated and totally egotistical, but I must say it's disturbing that I am able to compare an original production with its first revival. Help!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#4re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:51am

This was a great review to read. I am in the same boat as WithoutATrace. I have not seen the original, I have not read the book, but I only know a few songs. So I have alot to soak in with seeing it for the first time. I am taking all the reviews that I read into consideration but will not go into the theater feeling jaded or already having mixed feelings. I am thrilled to be seeing it on October 23rd.

fengshuihellnyc
#5re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 5:31am

Were they selling window cards at the show. DID anyone notice?

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#6re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 5:52am

Thanks for the great review. I'm seeing it tonight - I saw the original production at the Public Theater before it moved uptown and remember as it were yesterday the impact it had on me. While I suspect I will have the same reaction as Margo, I've no doubt that this production will move me as well, perhaps in other ways. I'm getting the sense that this is truly a timeless piece of theater and in another 20 years will move new audiences.

bwayondabrain
#7re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:20am

that was a very good review! makes me want to see the show even more! :) hope i can

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:55am

WAT, what a wonderfully written, well thought out review. Though I'm not surprised by your reaction to this show. It just makes me think though. Once one experiences an original production of any show, I have a feeling seeing a revival of whatever beloved piece it is, they won't necessarily have the same reaction. [Can you imagine the comments from us who saw the original production of The Light in the Piazza, only to have to compare it to a revival!!] [On the flip side, I remember my reactions to seeing the revival of Gypsy with Tyne Daly (me, being only familiar with some of the songs), and, again, totally loving it as I had nothing to compare it to.]

I saw A Chorus Line in the 80s while still in college. I was only familiar with the cast recording, but I, too, remember being blown away by what I saw. I'm looking forward to seeing this revival as well.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 07:55 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:05am

What a great review, Withouta--thank you for doing that. I'm really glad you loved the show that much--it makes it that much harder for me to wait till November 3rd to see it myself!

Miss Pennywise asks: "My question is: Would it be possible for any revival of A Chorus Line to stir in us what the original did?"

By now I've decided the answer is: Of course not! How could we ever have imagined it would have? Was that ever really the task for this revival?

Have any of us gone to see Oklahoma and experienced what the wartime 1943 audience experienced? Not from what those of my parents' generation who saw it told me.

Have any of us seen West Side Story and experienced what those who saw it in 1957 experienced? Apparently not even the excellent movie captures that.

And I can tell those of you who have seen the various Follies revivals, even the admirable Paper Mill one, that they lacked the astonishing layers of meaning that the 1971 original had for me each of the six times I saw it.

So maybe it's time for us (and maybe the reviewing community) not to be shocked that this revival doesn't make the same impact as the original because none ever will.

That said, it is becoming clear from all reviews (other than Withouta's) that Charlotte D'Amboise was not afforded the same opportunity to make the Music and the Mirror her own that the Cassies of Michael's lifetime were. I can say that all 4 of the Cassies I saw--including Donna McKechnie, whom I adore--were not the greatest actors or singers, but when each of them danced that number you felt in your soul that she COULD be "the one"--if only she had the music and the mirror and the chance to dance for him.

Without the Cassie making that connection for the audience--kinesthetically, in that number--the show can never achieve what Michael saw as its dramatic arc. I've seen Charlotte over the years and I believe she has the talent to wow us in this part, if only they would allow her to.

It's time for Bob Avian and Baayork Lee to admit that they are too close to the choreography to do what Michael apparently did: subtly change small aspects of the choreography to make it HERS.

Maybe someone like Jerry Mitchell--who has a director/choreographer's talent, a dancer's heart, soul and body, a love for the original and the ability to help dancers achieve their best--should be brought in and given three hours in a dance studio alone with Charlotte.

And he should be allowed to tell her, "Okay, now Charlotte, FORGET about Michael. This is about YOU, this music, that mirror, and the fact that NOW you have the chance to dance...for US."

Updated On: 9/23/06 at 09:05 AM

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#10re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:57am

Yay Trace!
I'm so happy it was a stellar experience for you.
There's nothing better than a night at the theatre where the magic is alive!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

WiiCKED x3
#11re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:15am

Amazing review!
I'm seeing it next month, i'm so excited re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#12re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:37am

Pal Joey, I guess that's what I was trying to say (regarding the perception of a revival), but you said it so much better!! Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#13re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:44am

Great review!!! I can't wait to see it myself October 12.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:51am

Nice review WAT!

I was never hoping it would have the same impact as the original. I knew that wasn't ever going to be possible.

My only concern was that "new" audiences would come out of the theatre wondering what all the fuss was about. That would have made me depressed and disheartened to think that ACL would suffer that fate.

At least, as far as you're concerned, I shouldn't be worried at all. I'm getting a sense that many "newbies" are going to agree with you.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#15re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 11:32am

I think revivals can deliver the excitement and capture the essence of the original. It depends on a lot of different factors, including the personal history and expectations of each audience member. For those who have never seen the original, there is nothing to compare to and so this "fresh" production will be just fine. And I'm happy about that.

It's inevitable that a revival will draw comparisons to the original...or even other iterations of the original (especially for a show as "personal" as ACL). I don't look for things to be exactly the same; in fact, I don't want things to be exactly the same. It's the feeling I come away with that matters in the end.

I agree with the overall impressions of Michael Bennett (the BWW poster, that is!) and his friends. I certainly see changes for the better since his original review from August, and the show is still in previews, so by opening night, who knows?

Simply stated, I want theatre to do what Diaghileff told Cocteau his creations should do: "Astonish me!" The original ACL did that; last night's performance did not.

(Although I still contend that all the men were outstanding.)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#16re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 11:53am

Miss P, I contend that you cannnot be astonished by a remake of a show which you have already seen. Except, maybe you can be astonished by how bad a remake could be.

I think the first cast you see in a show makes an indelible impression on us, and we tend to believe that those are the real characters. For example-Altar Boyz!

I'm also contending that there can be rare exceptions to what I've said~

Also, Miss P, I did read that reference you made! re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

jimnysf
#17re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 12:25pm

What a great review! I saw the original many times, including the final performance. Since then I have seen some good productions of this show and some not so good. I did see this production in San Francisco and loved it just as much as when I saw the original. May it have a long, healthy run in NYC.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#18re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 1:12pm

Great Review. I hope that young people can get a lot out of the show without others dampeming the experience for them.

I look forward to seeing it.

BtMartin25
#19re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 1:13pm

*COUGH* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJwKiwLOsFo *cough!*

for anyone who is interested.

bt

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#20re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 2:12pm

I Can't wait to see it! Sounds awesome!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

FosseBoi
#21re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 2:20pm

I <3 BtMartin.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#22re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 2:27pm

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone! I listened to the OBCR last night as I ws going to sleep and woke up humming "At The Ballet." Still on a high from last night's show.

And yes, I agree that it was a different experience for me since I had never seen it before, but there were also some people there who had seen the OBC and still loved it. Was chatting with some people at the stage door and they were of a variety of ages. It was a nice thing to see since it is usually mostly young people waiting.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#23re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:15pm

I don't know the answer to my question but I've always wondered if nostalgia plays a huge role in conditioning the memory of a beloved show? Could something ever be as good as we remember it being? Is the way we're remembering it a real representation of what existed? To quote Sondheim..."was it ever real, did I ever love you this much?". There's no right or wrong answer I guess. Just a thought.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24re: A CHORUS LINE 5th Preview (9/22/06)
Posted: 9/23/06 at 4:31pm

Or as Simone Signoret wryly entitled her memoir "Nostalgia Ain't What It Used to Be"...

Videos