Aida Tour

Jyn326
#25re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 10:27am

I'm about to go look at these pictures, but I just had to say how much this thread excites me. "Aesthetic" is my favorite word and it has been used twice so far. I know that sounds dumb but you just don't hear that word very much so I perk up when I see it used! re: Aida Tour (I have a thing for words... yeah, I know it's weird)

WickedRentBoy Profile Photo
WickedRentBoy
#26re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 3:05pm

I have never seen Aida on Broadway but I love the CD and the story. I have only seen it performed at a local high school, and that didn't do it much justice, so as soon as I heard it was touring again, I bought tickets. I have seen a couple of video clips of the Bway production and I really like the direction and costumes, so I was a little disappointed at first to see that the new tour changed everything. I am now excited, though, that they are making it their own! Can anyone confirm if the music is changed or not? Because I really hope the music will be the same as on the OBC recording.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#27re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 3:50pm

I kind of like it.
I'll see what reviews say, but in any event, I still have front row center mezzanine seats for December, and am still excited no matter what.

#28re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 3:56pm

I am now excited, though, that they are making it their own!

I don't understand why it's necessary for the tour to make the production "its own." As someone mentioned, this reminds me of the Jesus Christ Superstar tour, although I suppose you could make a case as to why the show can effectively be put into a modern context. Why modernize Aida just for the sake of modernizing a show? I don't see any deeper meaning behind it, and frankly it just seems pointless.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#29re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 4:31pm

In response to questions about the music: In "The Music" section, they have two clips ("Elaborate Lives" and "Written in the Stars"). Some of the orchestrations sound a bit different in them. That doesn't really answer the question but I felt like pointing it out.

Edit: I am just now noticing the fact that in the "Fortune Favors the Brave" picture they have guns.

I'm excited to see it in December either way, but this is odd. Updated On: 9/27/06 at 04:31 PM

RunswithScissors
#30re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 5:53pm

The two clips they have up are probably the Karaoke versions...which I think is dumb to put up there.....in the show the music is true to the original score.

I have seen this production.

SO... I will add that Casey Elliot's voice is wonderful...and Marja Harmon does a very good job with Aida...vocally. Also I don't think that the photos that are up on the website do the production justice and especially Marja (Aida) ...The dancers/ensemble are very strong...... overall a good production that will only get better...

lightinthepizza
#31re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 8:01pm

A dark-haired, dark-eyed, olive-skinned Radames would be so nice. As much as I love Adam Pascal and Will Chase and that bunch, please....why always the blonde, short-haired, curly-headed Radames? C'mon, all you dark-haired shmexy Italianate-looking musical theatre performers who can saaaaanggggg, step on up! You know who you are! (PS I like the look of the guy who is pictured on the first page...yeah, like that.)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#32re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 9:07pm

Patrick Cassidy, Cheyenne Jackson, Matt Bogart, and Jeremy Kushner were not blond-haired.

WickedRentBoy Profile Photo
WickedRentBoy
#33re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/27/06 at 9:25pm

I don't understand why it's necessary for the tour to make the production "its own."

Oh, I don't think it's necessary either. I would much rather be seeing a tour of how it was done exactly on Broadway, but I think it's cool how they are changing it to make it their own. Kinda like thinking outside of the box...

Ah, well, I'm excited anyways.

pharmer2000 Profile Photo
pharmer2000
#34re: Aida Tour
Posted: 9/30/06 at 11:02pm

Thanks for the info on the website. I look forward to seeing AIDA again. I feel that the "new" interpretation will allow me to enjoy the presentation on its own merits, rather than feeling forced to just compare it to the greatness that I remember from the broadway production. I suppose my opinion would differ if I had not already seen AIDA on broadway.

Videos