pixeltracker

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)- Page 2

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)

Parks
#25re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/7/06 at 12:45am

Just got in from the show tonight--I sat in row W of the center orchestra for the whole show. It seemed much better tonight. I was there with 4 friends, and they all loved it. We're all in tech theatre at my school this year, and the 2 guys that I was with said that the set was amazing. They thought it was absolutely brilliant.

I'm just so accustomed to the Broadway set that any changes bother me, I guess.

Something I noticed--the train (in the Love Sneaks In scene) didn't come on tonight...

Maybe it was the fact that I was sitting about 50 feet away so that I couldn't see every little thing and be totally nit-picky about it. It was just much more enjoyable tonight.

Even though I enjoyed the show MUCH more tonight, there was a thing or two that stuck with me:

The girl who plays Jolene--I don't know what it was, but she really just...doesn't work for me. She is no Sara Gettelfinger, and she is nowhere close to her. Oklahoma used to be one of my favorite numbers, but in this production, it is pretty weak. The precision of each dance move on Broadway blew me away--but on tour, it seems sloppy and not very strong.

The Bush's of Tex line...was horrible tonight. It got almost NO applause or laughter. Well, from where I was sitting, again.

Went to the stagedoor, got autographs from Laura, Norbert and Tom. I didn't even know who the woman was who signed my Playbill until I got home. She really does look older than Sherie.

*EDIT* Norbert's last day is the 15th.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 10/7/06 at 12:45 AM

Becky
#26re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/7/06 at 1:48am

It was nice to meet you Parks re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers) By the way, did Hewitt use the "Waxahachie" line Tuesday night? Just curious.....

Went tonight as well, and Norbert was out of control. In a good way. I saw him twice in NY with DRS, and he has added *so* much more to the character. (He reminded me of a wind up toy let loose up there - but his serious moments were *serious*, so it wasn't all about being insane and crazy.) I'm not sure I've ever seen an actor continue to grow in a role the way he has. He seems to give so much over...and over...and over...

Tom Hewitt? AMAZING. He fits the part so well - distinguished looking, tons of charisma, and he and Norbert had a lot of chemistry. I was quite impressed with their pairing.

Parks
#27re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/7/06 at 12:15pm

It was nice meeting you too, Becky. It was fun talking with you. I was afraid my friends were getting bored because they weren't in on the conversation and even if they were, they probably wouldn't have understood, seeing how they are not members of BWW. lol, otherwise, the conversation could have gone on for hours. :-P

He did use the line on Tuesday--and Norbert couldn't stop laughing for about 15 or 20 seconds. The show was already dragging enough on Tuesday, so I wasn't very amused then.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#28re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/7/06 at 6:11pm

Sorry it's not so good. I kind of figured the tour wouldn't compare to the Broadweay version, but for right now, its what's left of DRS.

Rotel1026
#29re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:41pm

I saw it this past Saturday and I'll have to say that seeing it on Broadway must have ruined it for you. It was the first time I've seen it and I think the cast was great. Norbert and Tom Hewitt were definitely great. The only song that I think fell quite a bit below the OBC recording was Chimp in a Suit. The guy's accent for that song just wasn't there. Otherwise, I think all other songs compared favorably. The opening number wasn't as good as the original but that's also going into the show knowing the cast recording.

As far as other things mentioned, the set was great. The balcony line got a laugh from everyone. The Bush line got a lot of applause, not sure if people were laughing, but they stopped the show for a bit with all the clapping. The "Waxahachie" line...do they alternate local small towns in there?

One thing I will say and no one else has mentioned it, this was a Saturday show and was horribly attended. There was a ton of seats up in the balcony that were empty and a good deal of empty ones in the orchestra as well. It was the same day as the TX-OU game and so I hope it was just people avoiding that horribly crowded day. Is the show doing well attendance wise in Dallas though?

broadwayjavajunkie
#30re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 2:40pm

Saw it Sunday night and I think Norbert and Tom were trying to see who could get the other to laugh first. It was hysterical.

He used the Waxahachie line and the Bush line stopped the show for a good two minutes. Norbert kept using this "Like, ohmigahhhh" line. I'm not sure if that was scripted or not, but it was funny the first couple of times.

"Shut up! Are you a communist?"

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#31re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 2:59pm

Wow. I saw the show in NY and I saw the tour in LA. I thought Norbert was even better, funnier and crazier in the tour. He seemed to be able to go even further with his jokes and antics. I loved it. Maybe he was tired and his maybe his voice was tired in Texas

I met him at the stagedoor after the show and he didn't speak. He was on vocal rest. He signed for everyone and took great pictures and was very sweet. I got two pix and he didn't have e strange face.

Be the change you want in the world....

broadwayjavajunkie
#32re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 3:17pm

Oh, I definately thought Norbert was funny on tour. Definately the funniest thing I've ever seen at the Music Hall.

genius2
#33re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 4:16pm

Was at Sunday afternoon's show..had previously seen it in New York with Jonathan Pryce and Norbert.

This is about as well mounted as a tour production can be..Norbert was unhinged, even more so than what I saw on Broadway but the revelation was Tom Hewitt..he is terrific in this part..it will be worth going to see even after Norbert has left the building..

I'm a member of the press and received a little behind the scenes juice..Norbert initially announced at the very last minute that he was not going to do opening night..he did, however, but then missed two or three performances during the week. Word is he is auditioning for a part in a major movie..

Also, one of the reasons he was so "on" on Sunday afternoon was that both his father and brother were in the audience..

broadwayjavajunkie
#34re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 5:16pm

That's cool genius! What paper are you with?

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#35re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/9/06 at 6:41pm

Norbert is leaving a week before he originally planned- the 15th. He was scheduled to play the whole Dallas run. Now he's leaving a week early. I purchased tickets to see Norbert the last week of the run, but I won't be purchasing a second set of tickets. Especially since there is no guarantee that he'll be there for the other shows. Not very happy. Didn't particularly want to see the show in the first place, but I purchased tickets after seeing that he would be in the tour.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#36re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/18/06 at 11:15pm

Has anyone see Butz's replacement?

Im seeing it Friday night and wanted to see how he was.

Videos