pixeltracker

THE WIZ- Not going to broadway??????- Page 2

THE WIZ- Not going to broadway??????

neddyfrank2
#25re: 'The Wiz' not going to broadway?
Posted: 10/31/06 at 5:17pm

It is going to close, wait closer to closing (or after closing) for an announcment.

They don't want Circle in the Square as much as they do some other theaters

Blue J
#26re: 'The Wiz' not going to broadway?
Posted: 10/31/06 at 6:16pm

I really hope it transfers! I think that it is a great production and with the right improvements, it could hopefully do very well in New York. I'd absolutely love to see it again.

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#27re: 'The Wiz' not going to broadway?
Posted: 10/31/06 at 8:43pm

I thought it was a terrible production which will hopefully be left in La Jolla. "The Wiz" deserves better.
Updated On: 10/31/06 at 08:43 PM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#28re: 'The Wiz' not going to broadway?
Posted: 10/31/06 at 9:31pm

I know many people, not associated with the production, who have seen it at the LJP. Not one ever saw the original and not one disliked this new production. Some confessed that they thought it was cute; most liked it very much. I also feel there are certain numbers which need work and the book could be a little more graceful. Still it is a strong production with superb performances. It is fun and I felt that at least two of the musical numbers were far better than the original.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#29re: 'The Wiz' not going to broadway?
Posted: 10/31/06 at 10:21pm

I've seen it and posted a review. It has potentials and with some tweaking, it could work.
my review

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#30re: 'The Wiz' not going to broadway?
Posted: 10/31/06 at 10:33pm

musicaltheatre, I think your review is excellent and I felt much the same way.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#31Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/1/06 at 8:21am

I hope they bring the Wiz back. I saw it as a kid and it was one of the greatest theater experiences (I met the Starburst man)
My family took us a few times. If they do it they better do it right!
Come on ease on down the great white way! Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Maybe they can cast Felicia Fields in another great Broadway musical. Updated On: 11/1/06 at 08:21 AM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#32Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/1/06 at 11:21am

Chances of the show going to Broadway are not looking good at this point. There are no appropriate available theatre available at this time. When a theatre does open up, the Wiz will be competing with other shows for that space- shows like Billy Elliot and Curtains, to name just two. The Opposite of Sex (the re-worked version) and Sister Act are also aiming for a Broadway theatre.

Ummm...check your facts buddy. BILLY ELLIOT has alread booked the Imperial Theatre for 2008, and CURTAINS is almost certainly going into the Al Hirschfeld in early spring 2007. So, both of those shows are not competing with THE WIZ.

THE OPPOSITE OF SEX has announced no current plans of going to Broadway. It was intended to go to Broadway at first, but those plans fell through over a year ago. And SISTER ACT still has two regional tryout productions to get through before they do some re-writes and workshops. They also have no announced a Broadway production.

So...THE WIZ is not competing against those shows.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 11/1/06 at 11:21 AM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#33Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/1/06 at 12:50pm

Corine, The problem is what's right? Variety thought it was brilliant. The LA Times said no heart. Unlike doing ACL, the show needs to be updated (or at least most people feel it does). Whether or not one subscribes to that opinion, it is changed. It seemed to me that most people enjoy the new version very much but they are not comparing it to the original.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#34Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 12:41pm

neddyfrank2
#35Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 8:56pm

The Wiz wants the St. James

NathanLaneStalker
#36Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:05pm

Ha! Fat chance!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

neddyfrank2
#37Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:06pm

Why?

By the time The Wiz is ready to transfer I am sure The Producers will have closed.

NathanLaneStalker
#38Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:11pm

The St. james is going to Young Frankenstein no doubt.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

neddyfrank2
#39Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:33pm

No doubt Young Frankenstein won't be ready for a while.

No doubt that Mel Brooks has no control over that theater.

NathanLaneStalker
#40Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:38pm

Young Frenstein opens next october and The Producers will be running until about then. Why would The St. James go for The Wiz when they know they can make a bundle on YF?

BSoBW2
#41Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:51pm

musicaltheatre- just read your review.

Stephanie Mills also riffed at the end of HOME.

neddyfrank2
#42Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:13pm

Young Frenstein opens next october

No it doesn't

And the St. James theater is not an organazation so the theater itself has no choice of what goes into it. It is owned by Jujamcyn Theaters. Updated On: 11/11/06 at 10:13 PM

NathanLaneStalker
#43Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:15pm

It said in the article it opens next october and there isn't even a closing date for The Producers.

neddyfrank2
#44Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:21pm

Oh and also the Doger Brothers and the Jujamcyn Theaters have a history together which gives The Wiz a better chance of getting one of there theaters.

NathanLaneStalker
#45Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:25pm

What theatres do they own?

neddyfrank2
#46Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:28pm

Walter Kerr, St. James, and Virginia

NathanLaneStalker
#47Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:31pm

K, Thanks!

I could see The Wiz at a smaller theatre. I think the St. James is to big anyway. I could really see it at Circle in the Square but I don't see Spelling Bee leaving anytime soon. What about THe Helen Hayes? As much as I hate it, Jay Johnson can't hold on much longer Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD! The box office sales are horrid!

neddyfrank2
#48Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:33pm

NathanLaneStalker- Have you seen The Wiz? It does NOT belong in a small theater, the production is HUGE

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#49Come on and Ease On Down Ease On Down The ROAD!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:49pm

neddy, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN does open on Halloween of 2007. At least, that's Brooks' goal. And, I'm pretty sure it'll come through seeing as how the workshop went over so well that the show is being fast-tracked.

PLUS, the article also stated that Brooks intends to keep THE PRODUCERS open until Spring 2007 giving them enough time to open YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN in the St. James

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Videos