pixeltracker

Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Broadway...- Page 2

Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Broadway...

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#25re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:13pm

VIOLET was pretty much all set to transfer to Broadway (From Playwrights' Horizon) and the NY Times (the lone dissenting voice on the show) killed it. Such a shame. It could easilly have been a Tony contender for a lot of awards that season, particularly Lauren Ward who would have won the Best Actress trophy in just about any season.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#26re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:14pm

L5Y had stated to gain an audience just as it had started closing. The show is unique and if non-theater people saw it I don't think they would like it very much.This show could ever work on Broadway. It belongs in a smaller house. It would be nice if they revived it Off-Broadway. The recording has gained much popularity and a lot of people would like to see it on stage.

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#27re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:16pm

I love The Fantasticks. Though it is possible to revise it to better suit a bigger stage, I doubt it would be successful on Broadway. Part of the magic of the show was its intimacy, and that would be taken away when placed on a bigger stage.

I remembered reading a while back that The Fantasticks had been offered a Broadway theatre at one point, but Jones and Schmidt declined, knowing that the transfer wouldn't be successful.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"
Updated On: 1/15/07 at 12:16 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:31pm

Becoz -- I think the L5Y cult following has grown over the years: the show was a major bomb Off Broadway, and most of my theatre friends who saw it hated it. I can only imagine what the general public thought of it. This is a show performers like more than audiences.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#29re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:43pm

I would've loved to see Birdie Blue (with S. Epatha Merkerson) transfer to Broadway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Mattbrain
#30re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:45pm

Bernarda Alba. Beautiful score.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

MargoChanning
#31re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:47pm

I loved VIOLET at Playwrights and wished it would have had a chance to transfer. I also really enjoyed Playwrights' THE BUBBLY BLACK GIRL SHEDS HER CHAMELEON SKIN (which starred LaChanze) and know there was talk of moving it after it received a nice notice from Brantley, but unfortunately that never happened.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#32re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Bro
Posted: 1/15/07 at 1:38pm

In a strange way, THE FANTASTIKS is on Broadway, in a way. The current revival is at the Snapple Theater on 50th Street - but even it is a small , Off-Broadway theater.

Videos