pixeltracker

Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews that should have stayed.- Page 2

Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews that should have stayed.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 8:18pm

I've always wondered if the song "Ti Moune" was written before or after "Come Down..." because the way it was placed in the story would make it one ballad too many, but I think that they cut one of the best tunes, if not songs from the show.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

COOOOLkid
#26re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:32pm

I wish "Too Much for One Heart" stayed in Miss Saigon so Lea could have recorded it on OLC... re: Why did they cut that!?  Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Boq101
#27re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:39pm

The whole beginning of Ballroom out-of-town should not have been cut.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#28re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:44pm

I always felt "I Saw Him Once" from Les Miz better developed Cosette's character. I love the lyrics "how strange, how curious, how secretive, how vain". Besides I always felt the adult Cosette deserved her own song, even a short one. She really got shortchanged because of Eponine.

Apparently Les Miz was once over four hours. I wouldn’t want the show to actually be that long, but I’d love to know what was cut.

Also think “Who Says I'm Hurt” worked better for Ellen in Miss Saigon.

And don’t get me started on how they ruined Martin Guerre. The only song that needed to go was “Sleeping On Her Own”.

Updated On: 3/10/07 at 09:44 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#29re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:56pm

I don't mind "The Show Biz" having been cut from Ragtime, since Houdini and Nesbit get parts in "Atlantic City." I do think it's tragic that the touring production cut "He Wanted to Say," though.

There are some songs that were appropriate to cut for the sake of the story but are brilliant songs anyway. I've been listening to the revue of cut Sondheim songs, Marry Me a Little, quite a lot lately. I love "Can that Boy Foxtrot" and "Uptown/Downtown," both cut from Follies. And there's no way I'd ever give up "Being Alive," but "Marry Me a Little" and "Happily Ever After" are so interesting to consider as alternative conclusions to Company. Updated On: 3/10/07 at 09:56 PM

sondhead
#30re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:18pm

..I don't believe Marry Me a Little was ever considered as a conclusion to Company. I'm pretty sure it was only ever where they reinstated it for the revivals, at the end of Act 2. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Also, in responce to someone's earlier post, the Beggar Woman's Lullaby was not cut from the original production. It was written for the London production.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#31re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:27pm

I was just thinking about a similar topic as I recently listened to the INTO THE WOODS OBCR. I think it's too bad they didn't use the extended version of "A Very Nice Prince" in the actual show (though they did bother to record it). I like it much better than the snippet they ended up using, and it sets up character developtment/motivations (where Cinderella/Baker's Wife are concerned).

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

sweetestsiren
#32re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:38pm

..I don't believe Marry Me a Little was ever considered as a conclusion to Company. I'm pretty sure it was only ever where they reinstated it for the revivals, at the end of Act 2. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

If I recall correctly, the show originally ended with Bobby proposing to Amy at the end of Act II, and "Multitudes of Amys" and "Marry Me a Little" were songs that were originally written as conclusions to the show. Then the "Getting Married Today" scene and Bobby's proposal were moved to the end of Act I, and they cut "Marry Me" and Sondheim set to work on a new concluding song. They tried out the cynical "Happily Ever After" and it wasn't received well by the audience, and finally ended up with "Being Alive." "Marry Me a Little" was added back into the show for the revival as the Act I closer. Updated On: 3/10/07 at 10:38 PM

lesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
#33re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:43pm

I really love "L'Un Vers L'Autre" from Les Miserables, but they replaced it with "On My Own."

"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#34re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:06pm

A verse from "Make them Hear You" in Ragtime. It was my favorite song in the show and they cut it in half.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#35re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:19pm

Its really a shame that "Give Them What They Want" was replaced for the tour of DRS. The new opening bored me and it was nowhere near as smart as the original.

Whatever happened to class?

BDrischBDemented
#36re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:26pm

Is there a CD that has "Happily Ever After" from Company on it?

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#37re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:27pm

I really like "Why We Like Spelling" from Spelling Bee, but I understand why it needed to be cut.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

sweetestsiren
#38re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:33pm

"Happily Ever After" is on the cast recording for 1981's Off-Broadway Marry Me a Little.

Videos