pixeltracker

Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews that should have stayed.

Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews that should have stayed.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#1Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews that should have stayed.
Posted: 3/10/07 at 5:42pm

During the early previews of Into the Woods, there was an act one extended full cast song of Children Will Listen, before Jack sings Giants in the Sky. It was touching, funny, and brought all the characters together for some extra development and foreshadowing the themes of family and loss that would become central to the second act.

I love to listen to it, and it sounds like it works perfectly. I'm sure it was decided that it slowed down the intentionally frantic pace of the first act, but I love it.

A lot of the lyrics were recycled for the Barbra Streisand recording of the song.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#2re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 5:46pm

I understand the song 'Girls Of The Night' didn't make it into the Broadway production of 'Jekyll And Hyde'. Which is a vast shame! I can see it having to go because it doesn't really serve any purpose in the context of the show, but it's such a good song. ;_;

shesamarshmallow
#2re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 5:46pm

Need I say bonecake???

Also, I don't know if this counts because they cut it after opening and therefore it's on the cast album, but I'm beyond obsessed with "I Said it & I'm Glad" from Subways are for Sleeping. Anyone know why they cut it?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#3re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 5:51pm

re: Why did they cut that!?  Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha

Bonecake! Bonecake! You do the math...
Updated On: 3/10/07 at 05:51 PM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#4re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 5:53pm

THE WEDDING SINGER was my 'shows you hated that you went to see again' show, I saw it for the first time in previews and was so disappointed when I went back that "Right on Time" had been replaced with "Someday," which I was not a fan of- "Right on Time" was one of three songs that I'd actually *liked* when I first saw the show.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#5re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:00pm

Im really sorry that young tarzan no longer plays with a wheel type toy, i thought it was funny.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:05pm

Bring On The Men - J/H
Flaemmchen - Grand Hotel
Throw It Away - I Do I Do
Who Gave You Permission - Ballroom
Ten Percent - Chicago

Poster Emeritus

Julian2
#7re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:12pm

I LOVE "Camouflage" from Mame. I don't know where along the way it was cut, though. I know the show was perfect in Boston (or wherever) and they just had to trim 15 minutes, maybe "Camouflage" was part of those 15 minutes.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 3/10/07 at 06:12 PM

NathanLaneStalker
#8re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:19pm

They cut the song "Pretty Little Picture" from FORUM in all of the revivals it had. It was a fantastic song. re: Why did they cut that!?  Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha Thankfully they still recorded it on the recent Nathan Lane revival cast album.

They cut a scene from THE PRODUCERS when Leo is in Rio and is seeing Max's face everywhere because he feels guilty, they said it would've cost to much money to do and the scene stunk anyway, but I still would've liked to see it. re: Why did they cut that!?  Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha Also, there was a "Rose's Turn" spoof in there somewhere that had to be cut out due to getting the rights or something like that, I heard it was good.

Also, I would KILL to see (or at least READ) Eric Idle's version of SEUSSICAL. They said it was darker and he had some amazing in there. Too bad they went with the kid friendly version. re: Why did they cut that!?  Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

shesamarshmallow
#9re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:23pm

Betrayed is kind of a Rose's Turn moment...

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

NathanLaneStalker
#10re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:28pm

"Betrayed is kind of a Rose's Turn moment"

Yes it is. re: Why did they cut that!?  Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

e Profile Photo
e
#11re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:35pm

"The Show Biz" from Ragtime

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:38pm

I forgot about The Show Biz

Poster Emeritus

Mythus
#13re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:40pm

shesamarshmallow, the Rose's Turn moment was part of Betrayed.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:41pm

Crescendo from Grand Hotel

Poster Emeritus

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
RockabyeHamlet
#16re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 6:46pm

The Beggar Woman's Lullaby- Sweeney Todd
Judge's Johanna- Sweeney Todd
Marry Me A Little- Company

- I realize these were reinserted at one point or another for revivals and such, but I'm referring to the fact that they were cut in the first place.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

Jon
#17re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 7:23pm

The entire witch sequence in SPAMALOT. It could have been shortened, but it should not have been cut completely. On the other hand, I'm glad they cut the Cow Song. (These were seen in Chicago, but cut before NYC previews).

It made "Diva's Lament" even funnier, becasue she really had a TON of stage time in Act 1.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#18re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 7:32pm

Ditto The Show Biz.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Mythus
#19re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 7:34pm

I agree, Jon. The witch-burning scene in the Spamalot previews suffered badly on the stage. The first 30 seconds of the "Burn Her" song was funny - it started off very menacing and mob-like and then turned very "Broadway"-style. The transition was funny, but the rest of the Broadway-style section wasn't that great. And the witch-burning scene was lifted from the movie, word-for-word, but for some reason there were musical stings randomly distributed throughout the scene and it completely killed the rhythym of the banter and made the scene waaay less funny.

I don't see why they couldn't have reworked the scenes - maybe cut the song and removed those musical stings - since cutting them got rid of Bedevere's introduction, scene, and song.

The Cow Song, on the other hand, was just bad. Completely killed the momentum the show gained from "Find Your Grail".
Updated On: 3/10/07 at 07:34 PM

Yankeefan007
#20re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 7:38pm

Regarding Rose's Turn and The Producers, the original version of the song was a full blown parody Rose's Turn. Brooks had gotten the blessing of Sondheim, but not Laurents, who, as usual, threatened to sue.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 7:41pm

They should have put the Spamalot cut songs on the CD

Seems like Mr Laurents has no sense of humor. I got thru 80% of his book & gave up

Poster Emeritus

commasplice
#22re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 7:48pm

Agreed on "Burn Her." In some shape or form, the witch sequence should have been kept.

I love "She's Gone" from Side Show - I know the song is long enough without it, but what's an extra three minutes in the grand scheme of things? Let Violet get all pissed off!

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#23re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 8:00pm

"Come Down From the Tree" from Once on This Island

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#24re: Why did they cut that!? Scenes or songs cut from shows in previews tha
Posted: 3/10/07 at 8:11pm

I also really love "When Daniel Marries," and I was actually one of the few fans of "My Eight Men" from The Wedding Singer

Your fupa is showing.

Videos