Posted: 6/7/07 at 11:37pm

Grey Gardens and Curtains

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#26re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 11:55pm

Grey Gardens and Curtains for sure.
If you're up to seeing it again, go see Wicked again while Julia Murney is in it. Yeah I know I sound like a shill, but it's the truth.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#27re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 12:01am

I just got back from seeing THE COLOR PURPLE for the 3rd time.

Prior to tonight, I wouldn't have put it on this list, but due to Fantasia's brilliant performance, THE COLOR PURPLE went from a nice night out at the theatre to a must-see.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#28re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 4:19pm

you know, its so different for everyone but if i had to choose one show that i truly beleive every person MUST see i'd go with Jersey Boys.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

theatregeek2
#29re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 5:02pm

Grey Gardens and Company are good....

I know you've seen it BUT WICKED with Julia Murney in it is also a Must see.....she's fantastic!

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#30re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 5:19pm

Like others have said, stay away from "Spring Awakening" if your wife dislikes "controversial." I would think that both "Curtains" and "The Drowsy Chaperone" would be good choices. If you think your wife can handle two women sharing an onstage kiss, I would also reccommend "The Color Purple."

madophelia Profile Photo
madophelia
#31re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 5:55pm

Based on what your wife has liked, then CURTAINS would be a must. Grey Gardens, if it is still playing with Christine Ebersole, would be fine. Spring Awakening is NOT in that genre of noncontroversial, feel-good, mainstream fare. Other mainstream types would be Jersey Boys, Company, and Legally Blonde.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#32re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 7:05pm

Based on what you've enjoyed...

I'd say Legally Blonde, Xanadu, Grey Gardens and Curtains would be best. They're all light and certainly not controversial. They're all good theatre experiences and great fun.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#33re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 7:14pm

Based on what you and wife enjoyed : I would recommend the following:

1. Wicked
2. Jersey Boys -good music
3. Curtains - very light
4. Legally Blonde -very light/ great staging
5. The Drowsy Chaperone -very funny
6. Spamalot
7. Hairspray
8. Mary Poppins- very visual !
9. A Chorus Line - great dancing.

but for the BEST SHOWS that are currently playing right now : I would recommend these:

1. Grey Gardens - very thought provoking
2. Spring Awakening -might be controversial. but its good
3. Avenue Q - controversial but very hilarious
4. Hairspray (could be on both category)
5. Company- very good revival , but might be close by then
6. The Color Purple- I heard Fantasia is great and im seeing her soon (ive seen it last year with different cast )- very gospelly, very dramatic

7. The 25th Putnam County Spelling Bee- its very funny, but could get boring to some people, either you like it or hate it..but I like this one...

Enjoy your trip to NYC !!!

J*

Updated On: 6/8/07 at 07:14 PM

broadwayfan3
#34re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/8/07 at 8:13pm

Xanadu or Drowsy Chaperone....they are both funny and great music! They are both great shows. 1 tip is not to see Curtains because you either love it or you hate it, and I personally hated it, but then again it's up for a Tony.

It also might be a good idea to see which show wins the Tony. That might help. And watch the production numbers.

"Bitch I don't know your life"-Andre Ward, Xanadu

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#35re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/9/07 at 5:33pm

IN THE HEIGHTS before it transfers..

AMAZING show!

Hank
#36re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/9/07 at 6:42pm

Early fall is a great time to be in NY. The weather is terrific, and it's also one of the slowest times for the theatre district. I never understood why, but it's also a great time to score on discounts for tickets and hotels.
That said, my recomendations:
COMPANY, if it's still playing, I just saw it the other day and oh my God!
CURTAINS, lots of great dance scenes!
JERSEY BOYS, currently the hottest ticket in town (besides Wicked) and for good reason. Great tunes, and these guys have a fascinating story to tell.
Also, if you can put aside your inhibitions, AVENUE Q and SPRING AWAKENING. Yes, they are that good!

jg4892
#37re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/9/07 at 6:45pm

Grey Gardens
Spring Awakening
The Color Purple (with Fantasia)

and based on your previous shows you would probably love Legally Blonde.

Videos