What are some "must sees"?

mule
#1What are some "must sees"?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:58pm

I take my wife to NY approx every 3 years to see a few shows.

We are planning our next trip for early fall.

What are some shows we should see. She likes musicals and in the past pretty well goes main stream. Nothing too controversial, etc.

Over the years she has liked Phantom, Les Mis, Jekyll & Hyde, Wicked, Mama Mia, Scarlet Pimpernel.

I appreciate any feedback.

TIA.

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#2re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:01pm

I was in NYC in January, so I haven't seen anything that opened since then, but Grey Gardens and Company were the highlights for me, primarily because of the lead performance.

Spring Awakening is AMAZING, but based on your past experiences, maybe a bit much, not offense intended.

The Drowsy Chaperone is probably the most pure FUN I've had in a theatre for awhile.

Those are the first to jump out at me.

ENJOY!!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:09pm

Grey Gardens. See it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:12pm

Unfortunately some of those to see will no longer be on the boards

Company
110 - Unless it extends again

Curtains is a good choice along with Spring Awakening & Mary Poppins

Poster Emeritus

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:14pm

I highly recommend:

A Chorus Line
Curtains
Frost/Nixon
Grey Gardens
Radio Golf
Spring Awakening

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#5re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:23pm

the only stand out of the season for me was spring awakening.
you must see it at some point, the cast is wonderful, and score is gorgeous; a deeply moving piece.

seriously, spring awakening, no contest.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

Zeitoujo
#6re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:48pm

acl- best show on broadway IMO

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#7re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:58pm

i reccomend, for you two at least, CURTAINS and GREY GARDENS (if it is still open). But I definitely say CURTAINS!

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#8re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:04pm

Spring Awakening is a must! You'll at least have a strong feeling about it.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 07:04 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#9re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:06pm

Grey Gardens.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#10re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:16pm

Curtains!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

worrell4077
#11re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:19pm

The two shows that I recommend to my friends the most are Spring Awakening and Jersey Boys.

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#12re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:53pm

What's your definition of controversial? Raunchy? If so, you'd want to avoid Avenue Q and Spring Awakening.

Grey Gardens is a must see. I wouldn't consider it mainstream, but look it up. You might be interested in it.

Curtains and The Drowsy Chaperone are also good, and they're pretty fun shows too.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 07:53 PM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#13re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:53pm

It depends on what your definition is of "must see" -- do you mean something that will be comparable to the tour a few years down the line, or the best shows currently playing on Broadway? If you're not coming until after Labor Day, every play currently on Broadway is scheduled to have closed (except Radio Golf, but I don't think it will last past then anyway). 110, LoveMusik and Beauty and the Beast will be closed as well.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 07:53 PM

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#14re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:57pm

A lot of people dislike it, but I would suggest seeing LoveMusik.

Grey Gardens
Spring Awakening
Wicked (see it while Julia is in it)
Company (I recommend this the most - do yourself a favor and see it)

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#15re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:12pm

If your wife is looking for 'mainstream' and 'nothing too controversial' then I have to say I don't think I would recommend Spring Awakening. I think Spring is brilliant, and it is one of my fav this year, and was at the top of the list that I just emailed my roommate's family who are coming to visit and looking for suggestions, and I'm going myself in two months to see it again, but 'mainstream' and 'nothing too controversial' are possibly the last two terms I would use to describe it.

thesinger
#16re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:12pm

Grey Gardens [utterly amazing]
Company
Wicked [w/ Julia Murney]
Mary Poppins

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#17re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:43pm

Hey mule,

I'd definitely stay away from Spring Awakening and Ave Q.
Company won't make it to early fall so that's out.

Absolute must sees (IMO) Curtains, Grey Gardens, and Hairspray. Mary Poppins and Drowsey would be good choices as well. Whatever you decide to see, enjoy your visit!! re: What are some 'must sees'?
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 08:43 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:53pm

ReNt
SPriNG
pHAantom
LeGALLAY bLENDE
ReNT aGAIin

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:58pm

If you want to avoid "controversial" do not see Spring Awakening.

I would recommend Curtains, Hairspray, Mary Poppins, and Drowsy Chaperone.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#20re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 9:23pm

Grey Gardens is incredible.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

teka21
#21re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:37pm

See In The Heights, it may be in previews by early fall.

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#22re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:39pm

I would highly recommend Legally Blonde and Jersey Boys. Have fun planning your trip! Enjoy your time when you go in the fall!

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

Bobby Maler Profile Photo
Bobby Maler
#23re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:55pm

"Over the years she has liked Phantom, Les Mis, Jekyll & Hyde, Wicked, Mama Mia, Scarlet Pimpernel"

The shows that are most like the ones you have listed which will still be playing in the fall are: Legally Blonde, Jersey Boys, Mary Poppins, Curtains, Drowsy Chaperon and Xanadu. It sounds like she likes story-driven theatre, traditional musical theatre and doesn't mind a slight dark edge.

However, I do have to say you are doing yourselves a huge disservice by not checking out Spring Awakening and being open to edgier material.

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#24re: What are some 'must sees'?
Posted: 6/7/07 at 11:19pm

At risk of sounding like a shill, I really suggest seeing Xanadu.

NO WAIT! HEAR ME OUT!!!!

You never know what will happen. When Hairspray opened as during the summer a few years back, I said: ohhhhhh... A summer show... it'll never last.

I also figured Dance of the Vampires would run longer and at the very least get a Tony nod for costumes, sets or lights. (It got nothing at all.) But then again, how many people say they saw Carrie? Chances are they didn't.

See Xanadu. This show could be a Carrie or a Hairspray.

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?
Updated On: 6/8/07 at 11:19 PM

Videos