13's Theatre?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#25re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:23pm

Did you listen to the samples?
I did so you may need to shoot me before shooting yourself.
I assume they're hoping to target the SPRING AWAKENING audience though after listening to some of the lyrics this show is as edgy as a cupcake.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:24pm

I listened to the first few seconds of the first clip. I had to turn it off.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#27re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:27pm

The ORCHESTRA is comprised of 13 year olds?

Wiz, as I was reminded on Tuesday night, you gotta get a gimmick if you wanna get applause.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ray-andallthatjazz86
#28re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:27pm

Updated On: 7/26/07 at 08:27 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#29re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:31pm

Wow. I just listened to the clips, and those songs were just awful.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

TapTapTapioca
#30re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:43pm

Smaxie- Is it going into the Imperial? Could you give us a hint?

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#31re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:54pm

I think it's more of a Jason Robert Brown-ized High School Musical.

TapTapTapioca
#32re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:55pm

High School Musical was better.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#33re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:59pm

Umm, there's a song that talks about how being a geek is lonely (and those may be the actual lyrics), it sounds like IN MY LIFE was better...even THE PIRATE QUEEN had fancy costumes...13 has 13 year olds (is the cast comprised of 13 actors or am I making that up?)

TapTapTapioca
#34re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:02pm

I saw it. I fell asleep during the second part of the act...

The cast is not comprised of 13 year olds. Most of the kids in the cast were in their late teens (17, 18, 19).

Updated On: 8/1/07 at 09:02 PM

RentBoy86
#35re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:02pm

I'm guessing the music isn't as complicated as his other shows, as the show does have a 13-year-old orchestra?

broadwayboy1939 Profile Photo
broadwayboy1939
#36re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:41pm

If one of the kids has a birthday, are they kicked out?! (Because that would suck..)

"Sometimes when you dream, your dreams come true..."

jg4892
#37re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:50pm

Guys...it's not just 13 year olds. It's young to mid teens in general. Most of the kids around 14 or 15. There are no 18 or 19 year olds, though.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#38re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:53pm

I thought the gimmick was that they were actually 13, my bad. Doesn't mean the music is any more decent though.

jg4892
#39re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:48pm

Guys, I'm sure JRB will be making a LOT of rewrites to the show. LA was the first real production the show had. And they've had a long time to make rewrites. Don't judge yet.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#40re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:53pm

Ouch. That was painful to listen to. Those lyrics are horrendous. What happens when one of the actors' voices changes mid-way through the season?

Edited for typo.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 7/27/07 at 11:53 PM

jg4892
#41re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:56pm

The boy parts aren't for sopranos...these are teenagers.

COOOOLkid
#42re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:56pm

I just couldn't stand watching inexperienced naive teens bitching about life.

Whether he makes any revisions or not, I won't be seeing it again. Ever.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

shesamarshmallow
#43re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:52am

First of all, 13 was one of my favorite shows ever and your pessimism and judgment based on one or two clips makes me cry.

Second of all, JRB was unhappy with the show in LA and is making major changes to it.

I'm so excited for its broadway run.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#44re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:55am

I don't think we're being that judgemental. I wish the show the very best of luck when it hits New York, and I hope it's sucessful, but I really didn't like the clips I listened to.

Who knows? Maybe the rewrites will make me love it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#45re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 2:18am

Well, from the amateurish, corny, and laughable lyrics, it is apparent why Jason Robert Brown wasn't happy with the LA run, I wouldn't have been either.

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#46re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 3:45am

I truly adore JRB, but I honestly don't see the appeal of 13. It sounds....I can't really find an appropriate word.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#47re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:44am

I think "What It Means To Be a Friend" is genuine and a great song. The lyrics sound exactly like they are coming from a 13- year- old. And I mean this as a compliment.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

TapTapTapioca
#48re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:44pm

jg4892 - What do you mean the kids aren't 18 and 19? Rick Ashley who played the lead was either 18 or 19.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#49re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:55pm

That's odd. JRB said in his blog that a lot of 15, 16, and 17 year olds weren't called back cause of their age.

Videos