13's Theatre?

jg4892
#113's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:10pm

Where do you think 13 will go? I can't seem to think of a theatre. Will circle in the square be open by the winter?

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#2re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:14pm

Now that you mention it, the Circle in the Square seems like an ideal space for this show. AAnd Spelling Bee, unfortunately, will most likely be closed by then.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:19pm

They have a theatre for the spring. Don't fret.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jg4892
#3re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:21pm

I thought they were opening in January...?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:37pm

I LOVE Spelling Bee, and it was my #1 fave show on the boards for awhile, but I do think it's had a good run, and would be happy to see 13 grab Circle in the Square, a great space.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#5re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:39pm

I'm not sure when 13 is opening but the Longacre is renovating and adding an orchestra pit. Depending on the seating capacity, that might be a nice venue.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#6re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:40pm

Interesting, Gypsy1527. Really interesting! Why is the Longacre adding an orchestra pit and where did you find this out??

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#7re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:43pm

I was at Grey Gardens ysterday for the matinee and while I was waiting, I walked over to the Longacre and started talking to the door man who informed me that they are doing a complete renovation, digging an orchestra pit and reworking the stage. He also said that the Shuberts are trying their hardest to get a musical in there for next season but he didn't know which one.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 3:51pm

Oooh wow. Thank you so much for sharing that! I think that's great! The Longacre seems to, historically, not have been a highly coveted or successful space. With the Shuberts investing time and money to renovate, they could really improve the track record of this underdog Bway house.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#9re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:17pm

The Walter Kerr across the street from the Longacre was a dump and a flop house when it originally reopened in the late '80s as the Ritz. Following its painstaking and beautiful renovation, it has seldom been empty, and is usually a producer's top-choice house for plays, although it seems to be on a musical kick of late, what with the run of Grey Gardens and now A Catered Affair rumored for it.

The Longacre has good bones and could also be a great and viable house. Only detriment is the second balcony, but the view is not terrible up there. Considering that the Longacre was almost lost in the '90s, when it was possibly going to be converted into a municipal court house, it's wonderful that it is getting a wholesale renovation, and will be able to house a musical more comfortably. Congrats and thanks to the Shubert Organization, and I hope they have the Belasco next on their list.

COOOOLkid
#10re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:33pm

Ugh. We don't need 13 to be on Broadway. It was atrocious.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#11re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:40pm

Here is some info about the show, for those not familiar.
Jason Robert Brown's 13 Likely for Broadway in 2008

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 7/26/07 at 05:40 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#12re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:13pm

Well, the rumor is the Circle in the Square will be available by early 2008.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#13re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:18pm

It's not going there.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#14re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:20pm

It played the Mark Taper in LA which has a semi-circular thrust stage with the audience front and sides, and it played very well in that space. The Circle in the Square would be the ideal Broadway home for it.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

TapTapTapioca
#15re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:20pm

If the producers were any smart they would keep their money and let it rest in musical theatre heaven.

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

jg4892
#16re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:22pm

Give us a hint maxie?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:15pm

Smaxie, with all due respect, if you have information but you don't want to share it, why even bother posting that you have it in the first place? Don't make people play a guessing game. If you don't want to say anything, don't say anything. But with people naming theatres and you saying, "It's not going there," it becomes tedious and insulting to those discussing in the thread.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#18re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:02pm

Oh OK. I'll leave you to the guessing game that was going on when the thread began. Carry on.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:08pm

I feel stupid. But what the heck is 13? What is it about?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:11pm

It's okay, Ljay, you don't wanna know...
13 is the new Jason Robert Brown musical about *gasp* 13 year olds. The whole cast--including the orchestra--is comprised of *gasp* 13 year olds.
Think SPRING AWAKENING and SPELLING BEE but bad.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:13pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#22re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:17pm

Wait, wait, wait.

The ORCHESTRA is comprised of 13 year olds?

*headdesk*

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:18pm

There's a song titled "Being a Geek" and another one called "What It Means to Be a Friend," believe me, I wish I were kidding.
Here's the link to some of the samples.
http://www.jasonrobertbrown.com/theatre/show.php?showID=13

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24re: 13's Theatre?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:20pm

I'm going to shoot myself.

Videos