Rent Pre-Stage Door

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#25re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:26pm

i'm gonna say that pre-show stage dooring IS like stalking. but all be damned if i don't shoot myself for not getting Hal Prince to sign my Playbill when i saw LoveMusik because i didn't wanna seem like a scary fan...

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#26re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:32pm

I tried to get Adam's autograph before the show last Thursday night. As he came in, I called his name. He walked by like I wasn't there. What made it worse, he didn't come out after the show.

Probably because they've been told not to encourage pre-show stagedooring by responding to requests. If they stop for you, more people flock over to try, people post online to tell others to wait before the show and soon they have 300 people loitering in the lobby every night.

Most actors in RENT do not mind when people wait in the lobby or say hello, but behavior has definitely changed this week

Don't even try defending that creepy group of girls that camp out in the Nederlander before every show. A fan waiting one time before the show is bad enough, but the people that do it every.single.day need to find a hobby.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#27re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:41pm

And it'll also give you a good chance of pissing Adam off! re: Rent Pre-Stage Door If you're such a big fan, you won't do it -- you'll leave him alone when he has somewhere to be as opposed to inconveniencing him to get what you want. I understand wanting to meet your favorite performer, but if it were me, I'd feel much better knowing I gave someone I admire the respect he deserves than I would about fulfilling my own selfish wishes.

And yes, skittles is right -- if people start hearing that they're obliging to requests before the show, they'll get crowds just as big beforehand, and just amplify the problem.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 8/6/07 at 06:41 PM

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
#28re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:43pm

Here here, emcee and OS. Well said. Respect their work, respect them, give them some freaking space. Stick to after-show stagedooring.

Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#29re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:51pm

From what I understand it's sort of an un-written rule that you generally shouldn't stagedoor before the show. The actors are usually busy before the show getting into makeup and costume, getting signed in, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to be stopped on my way into the theater. And in the case of Rent, I'm sure Adam and Anthony are already being mobbed to death after the show

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

ThankstoPhantom
#30re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 7:05pm

Pre-show stage dooring can be a hassle on the actor. They arrive at work almost no differently than any of us, as often times they do not suspect to be stopped. Usually, they to the theatre in the knick of time. They should not feel as if they have to get to work extra early to sign playbills for fans, just as you shouldn't in order to talk to customers waiting outside to discuss last night's transaction.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 8/6/07 at 07:05 PM

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#31re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/6/07 at 7:44pm

You know, as bad as this sounds, I don't think that it is bad when supposed "stars" are not involved. I do feel sorry for the regular cast of RENT as everytime I've passed the theatre before a show it is generally pretty dead.

Everytime I passed the Nederlander last week, SOMEONE was hanging around. I think most people do not expect to be recognized out of costume or for fans to be waiting outside the door, and I've never approached an actor before the show for that reason. I would much rather give my favorite performers the respect of "ignoring" for the privilage of seeing a wonderful performance. However, it is great when they take the time to visit stage door after the show.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

#32re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/7/07 at 3:06am

I do feel sorry for the regular cast of RENT as everytime I've passed the theatre before a show it is generally pretty dead.

As it should be! There is no reason for people to be loitering in the theatre hours before the show. And honestly, I think that the "regular cast" members are happy that they generally aren't stopped for autographs before the show, not dejected and insulted.

Backing up a bit... regarding matinees, I guess the trend is that Adam doesn't sign after them (Anthony has), but I believe he's signed after nearly every night performance. If you're seeing a matinee and are desperate for his autograph, stop by the Nederlander at night (provided you don't have other obligations). I was there tonight and I'd estimate that the majority of stagedoorers' Playbills got signed by Adam and Anthony.

Also, to whomever asked about this, neither Adam nor Anthony will pose for individual pictures at the stagedoor. I've seen them both politely refuse requests to a handful of people - as Anthony said, "if [he] does it for one person, [he] has to do it for everyone." Updated On: 8/7/07 at 03:06 AM

somuchtodo
#33re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:22pm

I think if it becomes common to be harassed (yes harassed) on their way in to work, fewer actors will be cooperative after work.

I'm surprised that the theaters have not taken advantage of the mania and started charging for the experience.

misschung
#34re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:30pm

I'd pay

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

luvtheEmcee
#35re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:16pm

They can charge for the experience and the observation. It'll be like an encore show!

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#36re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:20pm

Oh, think of the possibilities. They could sell t-shirts, souvenir drink cups, and maybe even a ride!

I can already see the shirt: "I Survived the Adam & Anthony Stage Door Experience!"

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!
Updated On: 8/8/07 at 04:20 PM

Fiyero13
#37re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:25pm

^
|
|
funny

misschung
#38re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:28pm

lol tink. But seriously, I wish they would do something involving like, a civil line for meet and greet. Obviously they'd have to have some cutoff otherwise they'd be there till 3 am, but still

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

luvtheEmcee
#39re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:29pm

Heh... a ride. *snicker*

They can make "I Survived..." hoodies to go over everyone's "I HEART ANTHONY RAPP!!!!!!" t-shirts.

Only mildly antagonistic. I remember my "I Heart Adam" t-shirt days, so therefore nobody can accuse me of being THAT mean-spirited.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#40re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:34pm

lol, you had an I heart Adam t-shirt??? **giggles** nah, it's all good. Everyone goes through the embarrassing fan phase. I did it, just not with musicals.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

luvtheEmcee
#41re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:41pm

I did. I was such a stereotypical fangirl. It's so embarassing. Not for long, though, because I spent the better part of my teenaged celebrity encounters hiding behind my mother or a friend. And then shortly thereafter, I realized what an idiot I was being and got a grip. re: Rent Pre-Stage Door

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#42re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:42pm

I went to a concert with the Metallica M markered on my cheek. Well it was an outdoor concert, and the next morning I had a nice WHITE M on my sunburned cheek! To make it better, the next day was my senior portrait appt. Good times.

misschung
#43re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:03pm

I was never too bad, I just did the loud screaming at concerts. I didn't do any of this weird stalking or pushing and shoving - I think that's nuts! I did have many posters and stuff from all those BBop magazines...*facepalm*

I never really had the opportunity to stagedoor because we didn't see too many musicals, and I didnt have crushes on any broadway performers. But at that point I would have been too shy to be really forward in asking for autographs anyway. I hid behind my mom too!

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#44re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:03pm

wow, Tink, taking a closer look at your avatar, the Rent SD is pandamonium... i think the best solution is just to stay clear of it all together, buy an autograph on eBay...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Fiyero13
#45re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:16pm

yeah might as well, since u can't get a picture with them

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#46re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:16pm

ash - if you check the Welcome Back thread there are a few pics of the chaos that is 41st ST after the show.

misschung
#47re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:27pm

buying it off of ebay isn't the same. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it isn't the autograph that I really want, it's the chance to meet them and the memory of it

Fiyero13
#48re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:29pm

that's true, but i bet all you get is a glimpse and a handful of words, if it were a chance to exchange words and get a picture and a real conversation I'd agree, but in this case ebay is prolly just as good

misschung
#49re: Rent Pre-Stage Door
Posted: 8/8/07 at 5:30pm

for the autograph, yeah. I just feel like that's the same thing as keeping the sample picture that comes inside a frame when you buy it. But some people really do just want the autograph, and if that's the case, go for ebay

Updated On: 8/8/07 at 05:30 PM

Videos